Need quick advice on bulbs

fishyfun2

Hello,
I have PC lighting (130 watts) and need to replace bulbs. Right now I have a dual daylight bulb (6,700K and 10,000K) and the other bulb is a dual actinic (420nm and 460nm). I read from another informative site that actinics can't really be counted as usable wattage in your watts per gallon, and that actinic light is not photosynthetic for corals, but that coralline algae likes it. The experts there were saying it is basically added to your tank to be more visually pleasing. Sunpaq has a bulb that is 460 actinic with a 10,000k. So my question is in my 29 gallon tank that has mushrooms, softies, zoos, would I see more coral growth by having a dual daylight with an actinic/10,000K bulb rather than the dual daylight with the dual actinic?
Hope this is a coherent question!
Thanks!

meowzer

I have the satellite dual on my 54G...I ask ed this question a while ago I also had the 6700k bulbs..and I was advised to buy the following
I kept the 420/460 dual actinic (well bought a new one of the same), and bought the 10,000K dual daylight (instead of the 67k)
Hope that helps
OHHH..LOL....I have not put the new bulbs in yet....I have been lazy wit hthe holidays :)

fishyfun2

OK, thanks Meowzer. So when you say you bought the 10,000k dual is that this one:
-65 watt 10,000k Daylight (from Current's website)
or this one:
-65 watt Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k
Mine came with the second one, and of course the dual actinic for the other bulb.

meowzer

Originally Posted by FishyFun2
http:///forum/post/3200063
OK, thanks Meowzer. So when you say you bought the 10,000k dual is that this one:
-65 watt 10,000k Daylight (from Current's website)
or this one:
-65 watt Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k
Mine came with the second one, and of course the dual actinic for the other bulb.

Mine came with the 2nd also.....The new one I purchased is the 1st one....the 10k/10k lol

http:///forum/post/3200066
Hey, BTW, I love your cat's party hat! Happy New Year!!
Thanks...Happy new year to you toooo

fishyfun2

That's what I was thinking of doing. I'm hoping I'll see increased growth rate of my corals? What types of corals do you have in the 54?

meowzer

I have green ricordia, red mushrooms, kenya, xenia, 2 types of brown polyps, some red zoas, green ones, some other type (LOL), pipe organ, a small red gorgonian, an umbrella mushroom
that's about it
I had a frogspawn, but moved it a long time ago to the 29G....

fishyfun2

I was wondering about doing a fox coral or frogspawn in mine, but haven't tried it yet. Do you think I could pull that off?

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3200081
I was wondering about doing a fox coral or frogspawn in mine, but haven't tried it yet. Do you think I could pull that off?
OH YEAH I know you can...I had my frogspawn in the center and 2/3 the way up, and that was under the 6700 lights
It DID GREAT!!!! I only moved it cause remember I had the seahorses in the 54G...and now that I have it in the 29G well It just looks really good there now LOL

fishyfun2

I don't know if it's just my bulbs need replacing or maybe just that I'm impatient, lol. But things aren't filling in as quickly as I'd like. I have some palys going crazy and xenia, too, but I'd really like to see my mushrooms do some more growth down at the bottom. One of the first corals I put in was a green ric. I put it pretty high up in the tank and it bleached, lol. Guess that was too much light?! It has since divided like 4 times, but they are all bleached. Not very pretty! I probably need to get in with a razor and cut them out of there. They are taking up valuable real estate! Any other ideas of corals I can keep? I just got a kenya tree, it seems happy.

meowzer

lol.....I am the worst person to ask for suggestions....I can never decide what I want in my tanks...

fishyfun2

Your pipe organ is doing OK? I assumed I couldn't keep them since it says medium to high lighting requirements. They are really pretty. Do you have any full tank shots?

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3200091
Your pipe organ is doing OK? I assumed I couldn't keep them since it says medium to high lighting requirements. They are really pretty. Do you have any full tank shots?
OMG...the pipe organ is growing like a freaking weed...I just took a piece off and moved it to the 225G...I really need to frag it a little more, but I get nervous doing that

YIKES...I do not have any new pics of the 54G...I'll have to try tomorrow when the lights are on

fishyfun2

Ok good, I'll have to check back tomorrow. Looking forward to those pics! I should go pay attention to my husband now, poor guy! He thinks he's always third in line. You know, the kids, the tank, then him....Now that's not really true on most days!!

fishyfun2

Wow, Meowzer, your tanks look awesome! That frogspawn looks really happy under the PC lights! Maybe I'll get one, they are really cool looking. I've got an order coming on Tuesday, but mostly replacement snails and new chaeto. Some mushroom polyps too. I had a timer issue with the light on my refugium awhile ago and didn't realize it wasn't working for several days. My chaeto didn't handle that very well and died back, then I had some cyano issues with it after that. It was like it was taken over by cyano even though I didn't really have a problem with it in the DT. So I bagged it, ordered new chaeto, and thoroughly cleaned out my sump tank. Hopefully after I get my fuge back in order I'll get to order some coral. Thanks for posting some pics, nice tanks!