Need RO-DI recommendation

d-dzel

I'm saving up to get a "OCEAN REEF MISER SIX STAGE RO/DI 150 GPD " from "The Filter Guys". It's by far the system that most people that I know use.
I have a 125g so I need a lot more GPH. If you don't need that much, you can always go with the 75gph.

aquaknight

thefitlerguys.biz -- one of the most helpful bunch in the hobby. Walked my mom through ordering me replacement filters as a present.
Be careful with any flow ratings over 75gpd. A lot of the time for 100gpd and up, the RO membrane is actually a 'nano-filter' not a true membrane. Also with the higher rates, the rejection rate is less, so the quality of the water coming out of the RO membrane is poorer, and that will put a pretty heavy load on the DI resin, causing more frequent replacement.

aquaknight

Forgot an important piece.
You can, DON'T purchase an RO/DI that has those horizontally mounted DI chambers. They are quite a bit smaller then a 10" vertical DI cartridge, but more importantly, it's impossible to pack a cartridge tight enough with DI resin for horizontal use. The water will just 'channel' across the top of the chamber and be mostly ineffective resulting in high TDS. If you must have one of those units, orientate the cartridge vertically, with the output on the top.

jdl

get one from
bulk reef supply
air water ice
filter guys
put the names in a hat, and blindly pick one. They are all great companies and all the same price.

cdposey26

Originally Posted by D-Dzel
http:///forum/post/3092116
What model was that? The typhoon? I also have that one on my possible purchase list.
I just bought the Extreme Typhoon III from air, water, and ice. Great company to deal with and that has alot of bells and whistles and the 150gpd membrane still removes 98% which if you look at the 100gpd they only remove 90% which uses up your di faster.

scubaj

Thanks for the responses. Just ordered a 5 stage ocean reef +1 from the filter guys. I called and spoke with them. They were EXTREMELY helpful!

bmkj02

Order their water saver kit as well. More water less waste. I got a 100gpd 5 stage from Melvesreef and then got the water saver kit from Bulk Reef. I made about 60 gallons in about 2 1/2 hrs and I also bought their pump as well to bring the pressure up. Pressure is also a key point. Less pressure more waste.
AquaKnight has very good advice and agree 100%