Need some help with MH

0verfl0w

I'm currently running these lights....
"36" Aqualight™ Retrofit - 1-96 watt True Actinic 03 and 1-96 watt 10,000K™ Daylight Compact Fluorescent Lamps Square Pin Base"
I wanna add this...
"250 Watt Mogul Based retro kit by CoralVue. Includes Electronic Ballast,10K Bulb, And Reflector"
I was about to make the order when I noticed I'd be running PC and MH 10k bulbs. Is that smart? Should I try to get a different spectrum of light? 14k or 20k :notsure:
BTW, it's a 65 gal tank. Thanks

birdy

just switch your 10k pc bulb for another 03 actinic, this will give you a good balance of white and blue,
That is my favorite combination, a 10k MH with actinic lighting.

jjlittle

I would run 14k or 20 k they look so much better they do produce as much coral growth as the 10 k but the look is awesome

0verfl0w

If I were to do that would I have enough lighting with just 1 250W MH on a 65 gal? I'm trying to stay away from buying 2 MHs..

jjlittle

You would be at 3.85 watts per gal you could keep softies and lower lighting needy corals if you left your other lights and added the MH you could most likely do more. It depends as to what you what to keep you may get away with some higher lighting needy corals if placed higher in tank.

0verfl0w

Jlittle...what about running my current PC setup (10K and actinics) and a 250W 14k MH? Best bang for buck and lighting combo?

jjlittle

I would do that personally I started with VHO lighting then went to MH so I keep half of
the VHO's and added the MH's worked out awesome

ajroc31

YOu need to consider that lenght of the tank. I would suggest one MH per 2-2.5 feet. If your tank is about 5 feet, two 250 MH would be a great addition. Leave the Pcs, and like someone suggested above make them both 03 actinics. It would be a great combo. U can use the actinics on a different timer to simulate dawn and dusk.

0verfl0w

My tank is 3' long, 1.5' deep and 2' top to bottom. I'm strongly considering getting dual 250s switching to the PC actinics like suggested and not eating for 2 days.

marcus71

I have 2 250 hqi 15 K M/H, the monti corp and the hydno and the polyps love it, yeah thats right 500 watts on my 65 gallon, just go all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

xhappyx

i just purchased 2 15k bulbs from 10k and i'm running 1 actinic and the color that the 15k bring out is just amazing...

0verfl0w

I splurged....again. This hobby seems to be milking me better and more effectively than my chick. I opted for the PC actinic lighting and MH 10K lighting. I ordered a PFO dual 250W MH ballast, 2 XM 10K bulbs, and a 36" reflector panel that will house everything. I can't wait to install it all.

ajroc31

Originally Posted by 0verfl0w
My tank is 3' long, 1.5' deep and 2' top to bottom. I'm strongly considering getting dual 250s switching to the PC actinics like suggested and not eating for 2 days.
I would suggest eating. On a 3 foot tank, 2 250MH might start heating up your water. And a chiller can be very expensive. One 250 MH, plus the PCs you have for actinics is a lot of light. Just place your hard corals on top, and softies on the bottom.

0verfl0w

Originally Posted by ajroc31
I would suggest eating. On a 3 foot tank, 2 250MH might start heating up your water. And a chiller can be very expensive. One 250 MH, plus the PCs you have for actinics is a lot of light. Just place your hard corals on top, and softies on the bottom.
I hope not...I keep my A/C set at 71 24/7. It stays cool/cold in my house all the time and I have my light schedule starting at around 3-3:30 in the afternoon so my lights will be fully running when sun is setting into night. If I have to, I'll push my schedule back even further to run the lights later. I'm also planning on installing (4)4" fans in my canopy. I'm now on the mission of trying to figure out where they would be most efficient. I'm thinking about mounting them into the top of the canopy and shooting the air straight up and out which is where it naturally wants to go anyway.

0verfl0w

Touchdown.....Ronnie Brown!!!! lol. Check out this thread and you'll get a good gist of what's going on. Watts per gallon isn't the only thing you wanna look at.