Need to get more opinions on mixing clowns

alyssia

I posted this in the clownfish forum a few days ago but didn't get much of a response. In my 75 I had two false perculas but one jumped a few days ago. In my 55 I have a black and white clown (it is smaller than the percula) could I try to put these together in my 75 or would that be asking for trouble?

shrimpdady

I already gave my opinion on this but some others need to reply to this.
This person is asking a legitimate question and people will experience need to give their advice.

alyssia

Originally Posted by ShrimpDady
I already gave my opinion on this but some others need to reply to this.
This person is asking a legitimate question and people will experience need to give their advice.

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion but I'm a little nervous. I think (but I'm not positive) that I read somewhere that if you mix clowns their is a good chance they will kill each other.

shrimpdady

I understand your hesitance.
My personal preference is to get get at least three good opinions before I make a decision.
Never take the advice of just one person, unless it is someone you know and trust and has been doing this for a very, very long time.

tang 1

I mixed four black and white perculas with three false perculas about 2 years ago and the black and whites dominated the false perculas and took over two of my anemones.
They all get "along" but I feel bad for my false perculas since they don't have an anemone to co-exist with.

coachklm

allright my experience in mixing clowns...:
i had 4 total
2 mated(occy)
2 unmated(occy)
1 gsm
gsm was pleasant with 2 unmated clowns
gsm got tore all to h-e-double hockey sticks with the mated pair...
as long as one clown is bigger then the other a dominance ritual will follow and the little will submit.....
i would add and then evaluate for a week (any fins missing pull him out..)

bang guy

False Percula (I dislike that name) are not Percula Clownfish, they are Ocellaris. Black & White Clowns are not Percula either, they are also Ocellaris (although there is a Black & White Saddleback!).
Since they are the same species that's not a problem.
There can be a significant problem if they have both change to female already though. Two females in the same tank will typically fight to the death unless it's a large tank.
My suggestion would be to try it and if they start to fight pull out one of them.

alyssia

Thanks!! If they start to fight should I seperate them immediately, or should I give them a little time?

bang guy

Originally Posted by alyssia
Thanks!! If they start to fight should I seperate them immediately, or should I give them a little time?
Don't give them too long. The larger one will bully the smaller but she shouldn't be trying to kill it. If if looks like she's hunting down the smaller one to hurt it then I'd pull one of them.

dieselndix

ok, so here's a question.
I have 2 clowns (false) in my 55g reef..with lots of rockwork. tank is established, no issues, blah, blah....
are my 2 clowns fighting? they have been together for like 3-4 months...they are close to the same size...but one of them always chases the otherone around...but kinda like they are playing. no injuries, no snipped fins....but the one that gets chased, will have a seizure when the other one swims up to it. what is this? i swear they are buddies.
also....now, I am really wanting a maroon clown. but he is larger than both the clowns I have now.
please....only speak on this is you actually how experience as to how the GSM will do in the tank. not being an azz, I just need actuall experience on this.
thanks

fishgeek01

i do not know about mixing, however your clown pair, is just that a pair in the making, the one the is having the seizure, is going to be the less dominant male. I would hesitate putting any more clowns in while your pair is forming.

bang guy

I totally agree with FishGeek.
I would guess that adding a Maroon will definately mean the death of the aggressive Ocellaris and probably the death of both. There is a slim chance that the Maroon will bond with the male Ocellaris but not very likely.

rslinger

My GSM is mean he bites me if I touch the water. They are real mean clowns. I tried a fake for ten min and moved to another tank to save life.

dieselndix

thanks for the input. I may wait on the GSM
also BANG GUY...your avatar looks like you might have black sand....is that true? if so...I would LOVE pics.
I am very close to doing a CC to LS swap and the black just seems like it would be very cool...
thanks

bang guy

On the original picture it comes out better. The "Black Sand" is actually a clutch of Clownfish eggs that are about to hatch.