Need to Increase Salinity slowly

raptor72

I did a water change today and apparently didn't mix up enough to replenish what I needed so I added about 5 gallons of RO water to put the sump level back up to where it should be, now my salinity is at .021.
How do I increase it to .025? I've read other threads, but they've confused me more than helped me.
Can someone dumb it down for me?

1guydude

just add salt to ur top off water....thats wat i hear....
I just make my c/w higher than my dt water though....only go up or down .002 at a time at most though!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor72 http:///forum/thread/385793/need-to-increase-salinity-slowly#post_3385158
I did a water change today and apparently didn't mix up enough to replenish what I needed so I added about 5 gallons of RO water to put the sump level back up to where it should be, now my salinity is at .021.
How do I increase it to .025? I've read other threads, but they've confused me more than helped me.
Can someone dumb it down for me?
Like 1guyDude said add to the top off.... SLOWLY over time. IN the future don't do that again. Save the last bucket of saltwater you remove so you can use it just in case. Also you can go to the LFS and get ready made saltwater. Adding so much RO isn't good to do. Inverts can't handle that kind of shock, so if you have shrimp or star fish you might have killed them.
Here is how I would raise mine, my skimmer used to skim very wet out of the blue when I least expected it and my ATO would add too much RO and drop my SG.
Mix your RO and salt in a bucket and churn it 12 to 24 hours...add 1/2 to a gallon (the amount you normally top off) in the sump each day and watch your SG very closely, when it reaches almost where you want it, then stop and use regular RO for top off again. Then when you do your next water change mix up the saltwater to the SG level you want and bring it up that last little bit without worry.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/385793/need-to-increase-salinity-slowly#post_3385213
Like 1guyDude said add to the top off.... SLOWLY over time. IN the future don't do that again. Save the last bucket of saltwater you remove so you can use it just in case. Also you can go to the LFS and get ready made saltwater. Adding so much RO isn't good to do. Inverts can't handle that kind of shock, so if you have shrimp or star fish you might have killed them.
Here is how I would raise mine, my skimmer used to skim very wet out of the blue when I least expected it and my ATO would add too much RO and drop my SG.
Mix your RO and salt in a bucket and churn it 12 to 24 hours...add 1/2 to a gallon (the amount you normally top off) in the sump each day and watch your SG very closely, when it reaches almost where you want it, then stop and use regular RO for top off again. Then when you do your next water change mix up the saltwater to the SG level you want and bring it up that last little bit without worry.
+1
What I just got doing cause I was down to 22 and brought mine up to 25 over 5 days doing the top off water.

nolson

I am raising a thread from the dead because I used the " search function :) "
My question about this is if I am raising my salinity using the ATO method, Do I make the salinity where I would normally want it 1.026? Or do I make the water very salty like 1.030 so that it will raise it?
Hopefully that makes sense. Just want to know in case I ever find myself needing to do this.

morgan175

IMO you will be doing this very slowly by using ato do what it says above with half cup into your top off it is proven to work.

bang guy

Quote:Originally Posted by nolson http:///t/385793/need-to-increase-salinity-slowly#post_3495175
I am raising a thread from the dead because I used the " search function :) "
My question about this is if I am raising my salinity using the ATO method, Do I make the salinity where I would normally want it 1.026? Or do I make the water very salty like 1.030 so that it will raise it?
Hopefully that makes sense. Just want to know in case I ever find myself needing to do this.