Need to raise Alkalinity...

cipher43

So I was checking my parents tank this weekend and her Ca is off the charts and her KH is low. She had checked her Ca a week or so ago and had a low reading and thought she would add a calcium block or two..... so it was way too much.
I have seen a few posts where people are using baking soda to raise it. Does that work good or not? She mostly has soft corals but I gave her a chunk of birdsnest and don't want it to die on her.

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher43 http:///t/393688/need-to-raise-alkalinity#post_3502939
So I was checking my parents tank this weekend and her Ca is off the charts and her KH is low. She had checked her Ca a week or so ago and had a low reading and thought she would add a calcium block or two..... so it was way too much.
I have seen a few posts where people are using baking soda to raise it. Does that work good or not? She mostly has soft corals but I gave her a chunk of birdsnest and don't want it to die on her.
Look up Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley improved diy two part.
That should explain everything.
my .02

bang guy

Baking soda will raise Alkalinity just fine but only if the Calcium level is normal.
What I would actually recommend is a 50% water change first. Also test Magnesium. If Ca was high and ALK low then there's a better than even chance that there was a precipitation event that consumed a fair amount of Magnesium.

snakeblitz33

I would also check magnesium first - usually large imbalances between calcium and alkalinity mean low magnesium levels. Baking soda will definitely raise alkalinity - but it will temporarily decrease the pH, so add it at a time of day where pH is a little on the high side - typically mid-late day.
Make sure it's not your test kits acting up.

cipher43

Thanks for the info guys. I did check the alk and Ca with 2 different test and I got the same results. The cause is from the calcium blocks im pretty sure. I looked at the Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley information and had a question. Why does the baking soda need to be baked before you add it?

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher43 http:///t/393688/need-to-raise-alkalinity#post_3502956
Thanks for the info guys. I did check the alk and Ca with 2 different test and I got the same results. The cause is from the calcium blocks im pretty sure. I looked at the Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley information and had a question. Why does the baking soda need to be baked before you add it?
Baked baking soda is basically sodium carbonate - where the carbon dioxide is driven off. It slightly increases pH when you add it to the water. This process is not necessary to increase alkalinity. baking soda (without baking) will decrease the pH slightly whereas Sodium carbonate (baked baking soda) will increase the pH slightly.

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher43 http:///t/393688/need-to-raise-alkalinity#post_3502956
The correct direct answer is no. If you use recipe "b"
and Yes if you use recipe "A".
As snake said baking converts the bakin soda from sodium bicarbonate to sodium carbonate (also called soda ash I think).
(ps I didn't bake it.) LOL