Neighbors!

maryg

I live in a sub-dived neighborhood. I have this over-powering neighbor that is from New York! (I was originally born there but lived in Florida since infancy)
Like many folks from up that ways, they come down here and think they own the whole damn earth! Our neighborhood is between 200K and 300K homes. Now he and I have the exact same home! He has a pool (a large bathtub due to code restrictions) and too much landscaping and thinks he is god! He also has all these weird statues and a large fountain in the middle of his yard. His place is nice but way over the top compared to the rest of us.
We in our county we have what is called the "right of way" that is the small strip of grass in the front of your house between "your property" and the street. We all maintain ours and what not. Now our house is a bit of a parking lot. My mother lives with me and I also have two kids that drive and my husband and I both have cars too and our boat. My daughter's boyfriend comes over often and parks in the right of way in front of our house behind my mother's car. When he enters this area he sometimes has to drive a foot or two in my neighbors "right of way". This guy complained about him "driving in HIS grass" and now put up wooden stakes! (which is a code violation BYW)
Yesterday her bf knocked one over and he told me and I knew this jerk was gonna come over and run his mouth. Well we got into a screaming match and I told him it was the county's grass not his and so on. He also has a flower bed that is encroaching in my property but I let it go for a few years until NOW! I told him he needs to move back his plants and that the sticks were a violation and I even called the county office because he doesn't have a permit for his fence! I may have gone overboard but he is a jerk and he and his wife make smartass coments about my custom built wooden fence because it isn't plastic/PVC like his. His blew away in one of the hurricanes and my crappy fence didn't even budge. Lol...
I am sorry but I had to vent. Did I go overboard? Or does this creep need a lesson in southern hospitality and being a decent neighbor?

cowfishrule

i think you did go a bit overboard. remember, they are your neighbors. you cant choose them, you can only choose to get along with them.
not quite sure what the house pricing, statues, and landscaping have to do with the issue.

maryg

He is just one of those obnoxious people that are a little overpowering and he caught me in the wrong mood yesterday. I have been more than neighborly but these people just do not get it. IT IS JUST GRASS and it is not HIS grass. Since he told us no one has been over there on his side. His stupid stick just got knocked over and he just wanted something to complain about. I am tired of the bullies of this world. BTW the county permit office called me back and did not take down his address so I have not called them back and I will let that issue go.

aquaknight

The whole things seems completely avoidable though. The grass may be the county's, but either way, if people are damaging it, it still reflects on his house. Couldn't the b/f just use another driveway a bit down the road to turn around on, or even use his driveway instead of the grass?
Letting things go is never a good idea either. Dropping things on people will only lead to more confrontion. If you are mad about the flower bed, he has no way of knowing that. He may even think you like it. But then suddenly dropping everything at once like that, just makes a person recoil and not be open to your side of things.

sepulatian

I too think that you went a bit overboard. It sounds to me like you are now nitpicking everything about his property that irks you since he said something about your daughter's boyfriend driving on the grass in front of his house. I don't see what his statues, landscaping, fence, and state of origin have to do with anything. He has as much right to be there as you do. You have said that you have five cars and a boat. Has he ever complained about any of that? You are not happy with his flowers on the edge of your property but you think it is alright to drive on the grass in front of his?

jennythebugg

im gonna have to agree with sep on this one we have the same strips of grass here in west texas and they are technically city property but we are responsible for maintaining them ,if my neighbor was complaining about my plants bordering his yard then drove on our little median strip id be pretty miffed - maybe your just upset with this particular person because you dont like looking at his stuff - i dont blame you - plant a row of screen trees so you dont have to see it

maryg

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2869599
Fill your yard with these and see what he thinks.

Lol...
That is awsome! You can't hardly find those anymore.
I agree I may have gone overboard. But this guy always makes comments to my other neighbors about me and everyone else that lives here. The statues are about 7-8 feet tall. It is like he lives in some grand estate house or something but it is a average neighborhood. He doesn't talk to any of us other neighbors unless he has some smart$%* comment to say about someone. You would just have to meet him to appreciate why I feel like I do. I live on a culdesac. And my daughter's BF "again" did not touch his damn grass, his rear bumper just pushed over one of his stupid sticks when he backed out. He just wants to complain about.

stdreb27

If he is a prick I wouldn't do him any favors. And quite frankly, why should you be miserable putting up walking around on eggshells for this guy. Life is a game of give and take. And if the other person is doing all the taking, someone has to set it straight.
If he is going to come over and scream and yell at you, then why not nit pick him?

sepulatian

You said
When he enters this area he sometimes has to drive a foot or two in my neighbors "right of way".
The fact is that we all get less than favorable neighbors. Have you tried talking to him reasonably about the situation? You are right, we don't know him or what exactly you are dealing with here. Life will continue to be miserable there though if you cannot make peace with him.

maryg

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2869619
If he is a prick I wouldn't do him any favors. And quite frankly, why should you be miserable putting up walking around on eggshells for this guy. Life is a game of give and take. And if the other person is doing all the taking, someone has to set it straight.
If he is going to come over and scream and yell at you, then why not nit pick him?
THANK YOU!!
I have lived here for 6+ years. I was the first home built in this culdesac. I love my other neighbors and there is nothing we won't do for each other.
This guy and I had the same builder and when he was building his house it took him almost 2 years. Mine took 6months. He would stand there when they were putting in the roof, installing the drywall and he even moved the molds (2x4's) when they pored his pool deck. It got so bad that all the subcontractors refused to enter the property to work if he was there. BTW my daughter's BF was the one who installed the closets and mirrors in both our houses. He had them replace the mirrors in the master bath 4 times because the ceiling wasn't plumb. You know that in the real world floors and walls arent straight. This guy was impossible. I knew then what I was going to be up against. I am a pretty easy going person and I can tolerate alot. But I had enough of him. He is one of those that thinks because he has a little bit of money (he is retired and his wife works for the IRS. Lol...She is also much younger and he has kids her age) that he can belittle everyone. He has like 3 cadillacs in his precious driveway. My daughter's BF drives an older 4x4 truck and I guess he aint used to us southern folk. I truly believe the older vehicle is what bothers him the most. He is retired and needs a hobby or a job or something. Maybe I should just give him my extra 29 gallon SW tank! Lol..

maryg

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2869619
Yeah, he picked the wrong lady on the wrong day to mess with. I am not like his wife. I basically told him where to go. Lol..

maryg

http:///forum/post/2869658
HMMMM 7-8' tall you say eh? Get some rope and tie it to his bumper lol Now that would be funny to see.

Lol... That is too damn funny! I am gonna have to take some pics of this guys yard.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by MaryG
http:///forum/post/2869667
Lol... That is too damn funny! I am gonna have to take some pics of this guys yard.
I was going to request this as well... I'm not saying start a war... But sometimes bullies just need to be put in their place.

reefforbrains

We need some pictures.
Driving on the grass is trash no matter how disposable or how tiny the infraction.
Having more than three cars outside any single family home is also considered trashy.
I am not poking at you, but I am also not going to rub your back about ingoring neighborhood sociall graces. Without pictures it is impossible to determine if your house is "the House" in the neighborhood.

aquaknight

Definitely would like to see some pics. I had a long comment, sort of agreeing with RFB, typed out, but w/o pics it's too hard to say.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
http:///forum/post/2869691
We need some pictures.
Driving on the grass is trash no matter how disposable or how tiny the infraction.
Having more than three cars outside any single family home is also considered trashy.
I am not poking at you, but I am also not going to rub your back about ingoring neighborhood sociall graces. Without pictures it is impossible to determine if your house is "the House" in the neighborhood.
Thats pretty harsh.What if its a Cadillac ,Lexus,and a Viper?
Maybe a old school bus with curtains but i hardly would call 3 cars in a single family home trashy.

sharkbait9

http:///forum/post/2869696
Thats pretty harsh.What if its a Cadillac ,Lexus,and a Viper?
Maybe a old school bus with curtains but i hardly would call 3 cars in a single family home trashy.
wow +1 with that. Me and my wife, three cars. Hers, mine and my work truck.