Nemo!

jer4916

i think its funny how people get so mad over it....i mean i work in a computer department and i deal with retards...i mean customers all day....doesn't mean i want to smack um...just understand that people now know that there are things called clowns, they may call them nemo....but who cares...they're paying you to work (those of you who work in pet stores) ..and to those of you who dont work in a store and it piss's you off....i'd say pull your head out of your butt...simply because its something you only hear once and awhile.
for realz ;)

nemo lover

I dont get mad about these things trust me. I can tolerate alot. I was just trying to explain thier only being kids. When I bring my daughter to the fish store she asks alot of questions they know by first name basis. If they have something new fish/bird/reptile/spider/ coral. They show it to her tell her what it eats, where it comes from, and if they bite or not < thats always her first question. Not another kid who calls everything nemo and dori . She will tell you I have a clown fish who hosts an anenome and his name is nemo. I just saying dont get mad at the kids educate them. You never know what our oceans are gonna look like when there older. And they might be mini me's and grow up to love the ocean as much if not more than us. And there the ones whos imact might be able save our reefs. There alot more serious stuff in the world than hating nemo.

fishnerd

Originally Posted by PinkTail
We have a tomato clown in our tank, and nearly everyone who sees it calls it Nemo. My son knows its not nemo, and I am so glad about it.
Whoooaaaa!!! My Tomato clown, err for the sake of this post, my Amphriprion frenatus is named Notnemo, coincidence???

fishnerd

ophiura said:
Guineawhop -
In this thread you called a seastar [Echinodermata:Asteroidea] a "starfish." Just an FYI, it is not a fish. This name is wrong and misleading to adults and children.
EXACTLY!!! Why are people crying about fish of the genuses Amphiprion and Premnas being called "Nemo"? I am annoyed that people are calling them "Clownfish", or in other countries "Anemonefish". They are all common names, so choose which one you like. A common name refers to what others will identify it as.
I used to import fish, and calling a species a "False Percula Clown" was as useless as calling it "Nemo", or "Mr. Fishy". I called the fish what its REAL name was/is... Amphriprion ocellaris.
Common names are very localized. Many on this forum don't know what a Fairy Basslet is. Others don't know what a Royal Gramma is. They are both localized names for Gramma loreto.
I think I made my point.

guineawhop

not that i want to keep this thread going because people are becoming boring on this thread. it died 4 to 7 days ago

ophiura

But people still have things to say, so that is fair. As fishnerd agrees with me, I wish to keep it going. It happens so rarely :D ;) But it can go away for you - just duck out of the thread, as I do when the questions get more difficult. :yes: The truth is out. Anyway, just hit the old "unsubscribe" from thread.

nemo lover

Yes! I agree some people still have stuff to say. Not everyone gets a chance to check the boards every day. being four days old doesn't make it dead.

farmboy

Originally Posted by nemo lover
Yes! I agree some people still have stuff to say. Not everyone gets a chance to check the boards every day. being four days old doesn't make it dead.
Gosh Nemo,
That was so "4 days ago"!
Just kidding!

ophiura

If you can't check the boards every day, I think you need to reconsider your priorities

I mean, there are currently threads that are being dragged up from YEARS ago (because of the "similar threads" thing, or whatever). And sometimes it isn't such a bad thing for them to come back up.

nemo lover

If you can't check the boards every day, I think you need to reconsider your priorities
LOL I DIDN'T SAY I COULDN'T CHECK THE BOARDS EVERYDAY

farmboy lmao
now I remember why I love this board so much.

scubataibi

Originally Posted by fishnerd
Whoooaaaa!!! My Tomato clown, err for the sake of this post, my Amphriprion frenatus is named Notnemo, coincidence???
tomato clown is alright, but dont get too literal, were only complaining about the name nemo, clownfish or anemone fish is alright. scientific names are a bit to confusing :rolleyes: ,and its only been 25 min since the last post, uuhh, posted, so its not dead yet

malounsbury

Thier children!
They're children.

They only know what they see and from what you teach them. If you gave a kid a book about a doberman named spike. This kid is walking down the street and sees a doberman who looked like spike there first instink is spike or look that dog looks like spike.
First instinct.
Geesh. Teacher and all.

malounsbury

Originally Posted by Jer4916
i think its funny how people get so mad over it....i mean i work in a computer department and i deal with retards...i mean customers all day....doesn't mean i want to smack um
Wow, I can't believe you don't want to smack people and you do computer support. That's real restraint.

fishnerd

Originally Posted by scubataibi
tomato clown is alright, but dont get too literal, were only complaining about the name nemo, clownfish or anemone fish is alright. scientific names are a bit to confusing :rolleyes: ,and its only been 25 min since the last post, uuhh, posted, so its not dead yet
Why is "YOUR" common name acceptable, while someone elses isn't? More americans can recognize Amphriprion ocellaris as "Nemo" than as a "False Percula Clown". That being said, maybe the common name for A. ocellaris IS Nemo, instead of Clownfish.

scubataibi

Originally Posted by fishnerd
Why is "YOUR" common name acceptable, while someone elses isn't? More americans can recognize Amphriprion ocellaris as "Nemo" than as a "False Percula Clown". That being said, maybe the common name for A. ocellaris IS Nemo, instead of Clownfish.
as long as i have been intrested w/ marine biology, through all the books i have read, the common name given is either "clownfish or anemone fish" in all the books ive either read or skimmed through, NONE of them use nemo as a common name, Even sfw.com uses the word clown after the different types, percula CLOWN, tomato CLOWN, fire CLOWN, on any of those CLOWNFISH do you see NEMO?! is there a tomato NEMO? fire NEMO?

scientific names are ok, but coomon names were made basiclly so it would be easier to remember, ok?

fishnerd

And in the past 3 years, "Nemo" has become a common name. Whether we like it or not, "Nemo" is now part of the norm, and its not going to change.
In the 1970's people weren't happy with short-shorts being named after a TV character. Today, every American knows what "Daisy Dukes" are. The names are here to stay, we might as well get used to it.

fishnerd

Several more examples...
Do you think manufacturers of cotton tip applicators, or facial tissues like the fact that the common names for their products are their competitors brand names. In fact, most readers of this post don't know what a cotton tip applicator is. You might know it as a "Q-Tip". You ask how did all cotton tip applicators become to be called "Q-Tips"? The people know the item as a "Q-Tip", not a "cotton tip applicator".
More Americans could identify A. ocellaris as Nemo than a Clownfish.