Never Use Usps!

I ordered LIVE Coral to be delivered overnight to my house.
I wake up early at 7:30 and am waiting for my shipment. Nothing comes.
I call Usps to make sure my package is coming.
The USPS representative on the phone tells me that the package has
arrived at the Post Office and will be delivered in the future and not today.
I call again, another representative tells me she doesn not know where the
package is and when it will be delivered today or tomorrow or even after but it will be between 8am - 5pm.
During this time im tracking my package every hour or so online.
No info is given online other then the package arrived at post office at 9:18am.
Finally i recieve a notice online saying an attempt to deliver the
package was made at 11:30 am and a note was left. Nobody came close to
the house all day. That is a fact! No attempt! No note was left! Not at my house.
At this point i am frustrated. I have dedicated my whole day to wait for this package.
So it is 4pm and i am going nuts trying to reach USPS to try to figure out how to pickup
my package from the post office. 1st call i am told that they dont know where my package
is and gave me a number to call 310-247-3470. The number doesnt work. So i call back and
i am told that my package is currently at BH Post Office and i can come pick it up before 5.
I get to the post office going nuts through traffic and finally get to the post office.
I wait in line only to be told i cant pickup the package today and that i must come back tomorrow morning.
I know that information isnt correct either because the package will probably be on the truck for delivery.
Crazy thing is i dont care about all the trouble i went through, i just wanted the coral to live.
This is heartbreaking to me. USPS has made an enemy out of me. Not only will i refrain from using their services but i will be their enemy. Take it from me, dont use USPS!
Dont believe anything they tell you. I will never again!
Corals i ordered:
2 sm colonies of Acans
1 Hammerhead
1 Yuma colony
1 Yuma
1 Zoa Colony
Do you think they will make it until tomorrow morning?

camfish

I <3 fedex. Usps does generally suck. It seems that if the package actually makes it to your house, it looks like they beat it with a stick before delivery. Kinda reminds me of Ace Ventura...

The quality of the other companies is uncomparable to USPS's. USPS doesnt give you a delivery date like Fedex and UPS. If you have never tried to call them you dont know what its like. Almost impossible to reach an opperator (avg 15min, to make it passed the automated system). They give you wrong information on top of that. I dont understand how they could look at the same computer screen of information and give you different information. On top of all that they might not deliver the package and say they tried to. So the package might not leave the post office and all they have to do is tell you they tried to deliver it. When the package was really at the post office all day and they wont even let you pick it up because they dont want to get caught lying. Staff is either poorly trained or their procedure bends the rules. Hating learning about it first hand.

culp

your corals may or may not make it be still be alive when you get them tomorrow. i hope they will be alive for you but you never know until you open up the box and see.

Yes, USPS is horrible with deliveries! They will eventually get it where it needs to go, no telling what time or day though! I send a piece of mail out this past January, I just got it back a couple weeks ago saying they could not find the address! 11 months and they could not find the address, what did they do, give it to a turbo snail, that might have been faster! I would say more than 50% of the 'next day' or 'overnight' packages never make it on-time. UPS or FedEx is the only way to go, might cost a bit more but well worth the piece of mind.

cdangel0

There is still a possibility that the coral will make it, but it will be dependent on several things.
1. Where do you live / where was the coral coming from? Is it still warm or are you in the northeast where frezzing temps are likely.
2. If in cold weather climate did the shipper include heat packs?
3. Whether or not the corals were all in their own bags or all included in one bag.
4. Whether or not the box was insulated.
When they come in look at them closely, temp aclcimate for at least an hour - 2 may be better to get the temp up. Drip acclimate and inspect closely. if they seem to be alive it may be best to QT them for a while to ensure they are going to make it before putting in your tank.
I would think the zoos, and yumas would be OK. the Acans I am going to suspect will be doa.

If you use shipping companies frequently you're going to have horror stories with them all, I know I do.
Around here UPS is the company that delivers boxes that look like they got ran over. The Fedex guy comes at the most random times and you never have a clue when he might show up. I ship EVERYTHING USPS unless it is something that needs to be sent overnight. Overnight is a complete joke with the USPS. They usually always get it delivered on the 2nd day which can be achieved my using priority mail in the first place.
Someone sent me a package through USPS overnight ONE time and my experience was almost identical to yours. It was on a truck they drove right by house to a post office in another city and left it there. The place it was deilvered too was responisible for getting it to my post office and when they did it was after 5 so my local post office did not deliver it until the next day. I went the USPS office it was supposedly delivered too intially and they wouldn't let me pick it up.

sly

Originally Posted by familiar1985
http:///forum/post/2871515
The quality of the other companies is uncomparable to USPS's. USPS doesnt give you a delivery date like Fedex and UPS. If you have never tried to call them you dont know what its like. Almost impossible to reach an opperator (avg 15min, to make it passed the automated system). They give you wrong information on top of that.
This is the difference between private businesses and a government run, inefficient monstrosity (USPS)... And yet people blindly think having government run healthcare will make things better...

/end off topic rant
I won't use USPS either. They have about a 50% track record of getting me my package on time and about a 20% chance of it not being damaged. Their tracking system is completely useless as well... So let's let the government run even MORE of our lives.

woody189

Originally Posted by westwind77
http:///forum/post/2871575
what did they do, give it to a turbo snail, that might have been faster!

LMAO....hilarious
I only like UPS. NOT fed ex or usps.
UPS is really quick, at least to me, the packages come in tact, you can track it pretty well, doesn't take long to get a representative, and really convenient to pick up. When i order things online, they say ups 6-10 days or something and i usually get it within 5.
FEd ex on the other hand will ship a package, leave it in a certain facility for 3 days, then ship it again. Very annoying.
UPS ALL THE WAY. HOLLA
hope ur corals do okay by the way

woody189

I still can't stop laughing at that terrible turbo snail joke.
this 1's for you west
WHat did Bethoven's monkey eat for Breakfast??
BA-na-na-naaaa
sorry

Update! Everything made it except 2 Yuma polyps(Rainbow Yuma, Blue Yuma). The other 3 Blue Yuma polyps have lost a lot of color but im hoping theyll pull through. Acans, Zoas, and Hammer are all fine and opened up after an hour in the tank. The seller is refunding the Rainbow yuma. Very propper of him. I was expecting the worst as i have never gotten coral in the mail. Learned a lot! No USPS!

rotarymagic

To set the record straight... did you use priority or express overnight? express overnight is leaps and bounds over priority. Even using priority from a place close to you doesn't guarantee overnight.

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2872847
To set the record straight... did you use priority or express overnight? express overnight is leaps and bounds over priority. Even using priority from a place close to you doesn't guarantee overnight.
I honestly don't think it matters. While express gives you a delivery date (and it costs 2-3X as priority) USPS still shows no real rush or concern to get the package there on time...

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2872847
I used Express!

rotarymagic

I haven't had any issues with usps so far.
They do think its funny though when I say "Don't handle it too rough.. I wouldn't want anything going off" hahaha.
I ship frogs through them often so they know me well.

maddog0118

has a good track record..
2-3 day priority also has a good track record but when u ship the dont gaurentee 3 days ...it could take 5..but a little advice always add delivery confirmation..it helps...

jimmy40741

familiar1985, check out USPS's website. They say "Guaranteed overnight delivery to most locations", that most locations is the catch.
But also they state "An Express Mail® Service Commitment guarantees a delivery date and time for your Express Mail service mailing. Just give us your origin and destination ZIP Code&#8482;, and the date the package will be shipped. We'll let you know where and when to ship your package and how soon it will be delivered (Next Day, Second Day, or Second Delivery Day, depending on the service commitment that was given at the time of acceptance). Guaranteed, or your money back." If I were you I'd check with the sender and see if he was guarenteed next day or not. You might be able to at least get your shipping charges back.
One more thing, they say "Insurance up to $100 included". If I were you I'd check with them what exactly is included in their insurance. I doubt they insure live goods, but then it's worth a shot.