New 120g Build

the_hadleys

Well I finally gave up on my freshwater-saltwater conversion of my 72 gallon bow front. But that is only because we have upgraded!!! We got a
4'L X 2'W X2'H 120g dual overflow. I just got done drilling the holes in the stand for the plumbing. Now i need a sump
... If i custom build one how many chambers should i go? We are looking to do a reef tank with some fish.
Here are some pics of the new tank. Its going to be a fun and exciting few weeks to get this thing going can't wait :)

scubaj

Congrats - I just setup the exact same tank. Approx 3 months up and running now. Mine is a mixed reef also (well, it will be).
I bought a pre-manufacutred sump with 3 chambers - middle being a refugium. It's 36" wide with an external protein skimmer drilled into it. Together, the take up the entire width of the stand but if I would have built my own, I would have made it the length of the stand and put the skimmer in sump.

the_hadleys

Thanks RedSea!!!
Nice ScubaJ got any pics of your tank and sump?
I am going to put some pvc in and install ball valves on the drain lines.
Another question. Canopy or not? I am pretty much sold on a LED system I seen at a LFS. Expectialy since he showed me his new LED the "shimmer bulb". Anyways, since i wont be using lighting that generate alot of heat should I use a canopy or not? Anyone have any opinions on this?
Thanks in advance :)

the_hadleys

So this is what I have come up with for my Sump.
Green-drain to sump
Red- Return
Would the first chamber be best with just a filter sock? or maybe a turf scrubber? or left empty?
Second chamber protien skimmer?
Third chamber Refugium?
Fourth chamber Return pump?
I am new to sumps so I am not sure what goes where in wich steps.
Also I have 4 feet of room what size of sump would be best for 120g?
What size of pump or gallon per hour overturn should I look for?
What products and brands do you like best?
Also is pvc (mainly the glue) safe for use in aquarium plumbing?
Please help add idead comments and info.
Thanks.

btldreef

LOVE the tank. I wanted that but we got our 155 for free.
I can't wait to see what you guys do with it!

rigdon87

Originally Posted by The_Hadleys
http:///forum/post/3173794
So will a 40 gallon sump be enough for 120g? or should i go 50-55gallon?
It will be enough, but the bigger the better right.i have the same tank and a standard 55 won't fit under there so i had to go with a 40g breeder which is the biggest tank i could find that would fit.they seem to be what alot of people are running under these tanks

the_hadleys

ScubaJ I love it!
So I have been thinking it through and am starting to worry

I retrofited some 3/4" pvc into the bulkhead drains, and sealed it. I also put braided vynle over the bulkhead and pvc with hose clamps. Lets just call it double leak protection

My worry is that two 3/4" pvc is not enough flow and that I am restricting it to much. What sizeof pipe should i use or is my size efficent. Will the pvc glue have an effect on anything in the futur?
My total water volume will be around 150-160 gallons. What kind of flow should i need and what size of pump GPH do i need?

the_hadleys

Also a question I have is a LFS suggested before I start my 6 week cycle that i should raise the SG to 2.0 to kill off all unwanted hitchhikers and what not in the LR. Is this a good idea? has anyone done this?

scubaj

I use 1.25" flexible tubing with the bulkheads that come with the aqueon plumbing kit for my drains. I have a Rio 2100 for one return and a mag 7 for the other. I have had to throttle back (just a bit) my returns using a ball valve as the drains could not keep up and the return part of my sump would run low.

the_hadleys

Originally Posted by ScubaJ
http:///forum/post/3174202
I use 1.25" flexible tubing with the bulkheads that come with the aqueon plumbing kit for my drains. I have a Rio 2100 for one return and a mag 7 for the other. I have had to throttle back (just a bit) my returns using a ball valve as the drains could not keep up and the return part of my sump would run low.

Thanks ScubaJ!!!
I am going to remove my 3/4" plumbing and go big with the 1 1/4" tubing I have. Good thing now rather than later

scubaj

Right - adding more return pump if necessary is always easier than replumbing after it is up and running

the_hadleys

Originally Posted by Rigdon87
http:///forum/post/3173798
It will be enough, but the bigger the better right.i have the same tank and a standard 55 won't fit under there so i had to go with a 40g breeder which is the biggest tank i could find that would fit.they seem to be what alot of people are running under these tanks
I have a 40g Breeder and I cant get it to fit through the door underneath my DT
I have toe doors off and even took off the hinges... Looks like I a going to have to take off a back pannel

calbert0

Originally Posted by The_Hadleys
http:///forum/post/3174426
I have a 40g Breeder and I cant get it to fit through the door underneath my DT
I have toe doors off and even took off the hinges... Looks like I a going to have to take off a back pannel

Ha yea that happened to me when i moved and bought a new stand.
Now my sump sits to the side of my tank instead of underneath it

scubaj

Just read through this again. You don't need to put valves on the drains. The overflow in the aquarium is setup to limit flow to the sump once the returns are off. Mine only drains a couple of gallons once the returns are shut off. You may need check valves on the returns if you don't use the aqueon plumbing or a siphon hole in your return system.
Hope this helps!

the_hadleys

Thanks guys
I have totaly redone the plumbing in the tank. Now I am working on my skimmer

So I have both drains coming into the fisrt chaimber in the 40 gallon breeder flowing over the first wall (baffel?) into the secind chamber where the skimmer is (can skimmer be in first chamber?) I got a remora pro.then i think i will have a bubble lock or stop flowing into the next chamber where there will be live rock lice sand and cheato. then flowing into last chamber where the return pump is. So is every wall after the first just slightly smaller than the previous wall? I am sorta stuck on sump design and wall hights. Oh yeah my skimmer is a HOB so the pump can sit on the bottom.
THANKS!