New 30 gal Fish Only Help

I am a new aquarium user, purchased a 30 gallon tank and have a Rapids Pro system. I have 30 lbs of Live sand and 10 lbs of Live rock. Friend gave us water and tank has been running for a week and a half. I put in 2 Damsels and 5 Hermits, things seem to be working great. My questions are, what more should I do or need to do to this tank? After a couple more weeks we would like to start adding some fish, what fish do you recommend that are easy on the wallet and neat for this setup?
Thanks in advance for the help

keith burn

Originally Posted by fade2black011
http:///forum/post/2748672
I am a new aquarium user,
What is a aquarium user?
Rapids Pro system.do not know much about (This filter system)
One and 1/2 week old water is not good water...
Your tank is not cycled.
And cycleing with live stock not good for them.
Imo read and ask more questions.
First do not add fish to a uncycled tank.
Read up on cycleing a tank.
Sorry if i come of like a ass.If you will be in to fish keeping long, you will see
it is all about the fish and this will be a bad thing.
We get to see and have fun keeping fish and that is why i say what i say to you.
Stop and read more plese.

http:///forum/post/2748672
Thanks in advance for the help
keith

Hmm well instead of being corrected as to what grammar I use, I would prefer to just have advice on how to better care for my tank. I suppose I do appreciate the advice in there however it was hard to digest considering your opening sentence which was obviously sarcastic.

geridoc

It isn't how I would have started the tank, but it is started, and now your job is to make it work. Your biggest concern should be for ammonium to rise. Get an ammonia kit at your lfs and measure the levels daily for the next several weeks. If the levels begin to rise you will need to control them either by water changes, or use Amquel+ to reduce the nitrogen toxicity. With damsels already in the tank, you may have aggression problems down the line with later additions to your tank, so I would wait until the tank settles down before I considered any more fish. And...do continue to read, read and read. When you're not reading, ask questions here. There are some amazing aquariasts who will help you to be successful.

meowzer

I too am fairly new at saltwater. I have had fresh for years and salt for now 4 months... The best info I can give you is to google and read EVERYTHING...it has helped me so much, that sometimes I know more info than the guy at the fish place...lol....anyway, good luck, and take your time. If you rush, you will only lose fish.

Again appreciate your info everyone and yes that is the Rapids Pro I have.
The pump says 1000 Gal/Hr. (that is the version I have)
I might have rushed into the situation, that was kind of at the reccomendation of a friend, that it would be fine to put fish in.

mr_x

hi. and welcome to the forum.
yes, you should have waited for the tank to cycle for a few more weeks atleast, before adding fish, but they are in the tank now.
here's my humble advice-
remove the damsels- pound for pound, these fish are more lethal than sharks. you will grow to hate them for attacking every new addition to the tank.
the hermits are snail killers as well. you will want to add snails in the future, and you'll notice the hermits with new shells every week...or every few days, until all of your snails are gone.
now, let the tank cycle. i like to give it a month to build up some really strong bacteria colonies. then you can add some snails, crabs..whatever cleanup crew you like. a week or so later, add fish.

[hr]
important

[hr]
add the fish you really like. don't add fish for the heck of it, because they are extremely hard to remove once you have got your rock just where you want it.

good luck!

mr_x

one more thing. clean that crazy filter weekly! this isn't like freshwater where you can clean the filter once a month and things will be fine. if you have a rise in nitrates that you can't figure out the source of, look to the filter.

scrombus2

Read, read, read! That being said, I agree with getting rid of the damsels. They are very territorial, aggressive little buggers. Every addition to your tank will be a threat to the damsels, and they will harass your additional fish to DEATH, literally.
You must get a test kit, preferably a kit with liquid tests and test tubes, as opposed to test strips. Start a log, recording your parameters. With a smallish 30 gallon FO tank, you should test every other day at minimum, as parameters will change rapidly in a small tank.
Rapids Pro filter system- I have been using this system on my 75 FOWLR for about 8 mos. now. Overall, I am happy with the system, with a few issues that must be addressed. I'll start at the overflow- it's a little tricky to get set correctly, but the adjustment screws make it easier. The Aqualifter pump is great, never have to worry about overflow due to power loss.It does not skim the surface of my 75 very well, but will probably work better on your 30. The protein skimmer takes a bit of trial and error to get the best performance, but once set it works quite well. I replaced the air pump that came with the system with an adjustable Luft pump, but this may not be necessary. Replace the wooden airstone at least once a month for maximum performance. Filter media- You will have to experiment to find the best combination of media for your system. I have a high bioload in my 75, so I ditched the bioballs and added a couple media bags with carbon. I also ditched the carbon filter pad and the carbon pillow in favor of cheaper loose carbon in media bags. I left the sintered glass cylinders in the lower media tray. As for the rated flow of this system- The pump supplied with the system is rated (along with most other pumps) at a horizontal, unobtructed flow. Therefore, if your filter is under your tank, with a 3-4 foot head, the pump is supplying only about half it's rated flow. I suggest you get some fitting from your LHS to split the flow from the return to maximize water movement in your tank.
Good luck, and welcome to SWF. There's volumes of useful info on this forum...Glean the information necessary, and don't take any responses too personally. Some people on here and other forums have been dispensing info to newbies for yaers, and get tired of the same old questions over and over....comes with the territory, but their responses come across as being sarcastic..... you gotta learn to deal with that.
There's a few stickies on every topic here.....read them all, you will probably garner enough info to have your 30 running beautifully in no time!

Great info Scrombus, it is good to hear from someone that has a Rapids Pro already.
It seems there are no Protein Bubbles anymore going into the collection cup. At first there was and garbage was coming out but now nothing is coming in. Is this something to worry about or is it because I only have 2 fish in there, there is nothing to collect?
The water line on the Filter is getting lower I am assuming because of evap, I read somewhere to top off the tank with freshwater, is this correct?
Also, I have 1 Yellowtail Damsel and 1 Bicolor Pseudochromis. The Bicolor Pseudochromis is always attacking the Damsel....

hellow

http:///forum/post/2749395
Also, I have 1 Yellowtail Damsel and 1 Bicolor Pseudochromis. The Bicolor Pseudochromis is always attacking the Damsel....
I just did a google search on the latter fish, and i got this:
"This little beauty can be aggressive toward other fish small mild mannered species, especially in the restricted confines of a smaller tank." You really need to split the fish you have or get other fish.

scrombus2

I take it you did not get the auto topoff for the Rapids? I recommend it, it works great, but with only 4 gallons in the ATO, I have to fill it once a week. Remember to only top off with fresh water, as it's only pure water that evaporates, not the salt. With only 2 fish, I surmise you don't have enough bioload to produce skimmate. The skimmer does take some experimentation to get set right, but works well and is easy to clean.
The damsels ( the pseudochromis falls into this category) are little terrors. Yes, their colors are sometimes spectacular, but their temperament makes them undesirable. Add 10 or so more pounds of LR, get that test kit, and get the system running correctly before deciding on your next fish selection. Good luck.