New 30g Build

amertz03

I have a 30 gal tank with a 20 gal sump. I want to drill the tank but I believe it is tempered glass on the bottom and I dont want to try my luck on that so does anyone know where I would drill a hole in the back of the tank and where I would place my overflow. Also does anyone have any good suggestions for a protein skimmer, lighting system, and pump that would fit my tanks requirements. I plan to start this build soon, I just wanted to get some input from others before I make my final purchases.

amertz03

Also I forgot to mention, I plan to keep fish and coral in this tank...Not sure on exactly what kind of either yet but I would need a lighting system sufficient enough for fish and reef.

meowzer

I thought if you drill a tank you don't need an overflow?
go with MH lighting or a good set of T5

vampofvegas

I had a 30g with no sump and kept it up for a year no problem until I went to a 60 gallon w/ a DIY sump.
I only had a canister filter (cleaned twice a month and changed filter media). 30+lbs of Live Rock and a Hang On Back skimmer (Remora C) and I was able to keep everything in check. I kept an anemone, softies, and about 4 fish. You could also get a decent sized sand bed.. maybe. Hell I even had a 20 something gallon w/ 30lbs of LR and kept it going for a while w/ a trickle filter.
So if you are going to keep a 30g for a long time I guess i'd go for a sump.

vampofvegas

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3052480
I thought if you drill a tank you don't need an overflow?

If you dont want to suck your fish, snails, and sand into a hole drilled into the bottom or side of the tank. lol.
And during a power outage suck all your water out of your tank.
Yes, you need an overflow box.

meowzer

Originally Posted by VampOfVegas
http:///forum/post/3052494

If you dont want to suck your fish, snails, and sand into a hole drilled into the bottom or side of the tank. lol.
LOL...funny funny....I guess pre-drilled tanks COME with some sort of screen or covering to prevent that
I also thought I remember people saying a benefit of pre-drilled tanks is so you do not need overflows....sorry...I have an over flow...do not have a drilled tank...so I HAVE NO CLUE

amertz03

Ok so how far up should the whole be drilled, and do you think an overflow in the middle would be better then one on the end.