New 40 gal/shallow frag tank, 400W MH!

ocyoo

Ok, I've decided to make a new thread for this frag tank. For now I have:
-40 gal 36x12x18 inch tank.
-400W MH 6500K(that's 10W per gallon!)
-11lbs of live sand with 10 lbs of live rock.
-Skimmer with 590gal/H powerhead
-2x Aquaclear 20 hang on filter
I will add:
-20lbs of live sand
-10 lbs of live rock
For now, I have few mushrooms, zoanthids and a Ocellaris.

subielover

Looks like a good start, but that is way to yellow for my taste. To each his own, I am sure your coral will like it...if they don't melt

spanko

For a frag tank the 6500 will give some amazing coral growth, just not amazing colors. Some coral farmers will use lower Kelvin bulbs to get the growth from their frags then change to higher (14-20k) kelvin bulbs to color them up prior to sale.
Just info.

ocyoo

Thanks guys, yes it was the clown with ich, I healed it with freshwater! Yes I am going to change the 6500k to a 10 000k in a few month or maybe even to a 14 000k.

subielover

FYI-you did not kill the ich. You could have possibly killed some of them, but it wouldn't have killed all of them. You should read Beth's FAQ in the fish disease and treatment forum. Just wanted to let you know, before you add more fish and they get ich as well

ocyoo

My clown died... It didn't eat for 9 days... And thx for the info subielover, and yes I've read about the ichfrom beth, so for 3 weeks I will not adda ny fishes so the ich can die. By the way, is 86F too high? i don't think so, with the MH the temp raises to 86F max not bad eh? Oh and one more thing, in 3 weeks should I get Perculas or Ocellaris?

subielover

86 is a tad high. I would try to get it as close to 81 as possible. Also you want to wait at least 6 weeks before adding anymore fish.
Try putting a fan that blows across the top of your water.

ocyoo

Lol, mybad, I'm gonna get clownfishes, but I don't know wich ones, perculas or ocellaris
and whats type of corals should I add?

subielover

I understand you want clowns. The point is you just had that clown with ich in both of your tanks less than a week ago. That means you need to wait at least 5 more weeks. As far as which ones, it depends which ones you like better. I prefer false percs but that is only my preference.

ocyoo

Just added 2 new anemones, they have 4 colors under 14000k MH! Very nice got them for only 5$ each! Coralline algae is starting to bloom alot because of my 6500k MH 400W and got some hair algae... I have one problem though, my water got very cloudy since I changed some filter media what can it be?

spiderwoman

Your temperature of 86 is way too high, you need to try to bring it down. If your tank was larger in water volume and depth, you could get away with 400's. I'm still saying your light is too much for the system.

ocyoo

Ok the temp is now at 75-78 and the ammonia is at 0! Incredible! I barely have 10lbs of live rock! Gonna get some more soon!

nissan577

your tank is amazing. but what did you do to bring the temp down to that? and yea why did you have ammonia

nwdyr

+1 on the light being too much for that tank , and why did you put anemones in a frag tank