New 55 Gallon Reef Tank!!!!

anthony17

i just got my first corals today!!!! i got some mushrooms and something else i think its a leather or something not really for sure.... i got a 55 gallon with 2 perc clowns, yellow watchman goby, scooter blenny, and a fridmani dottyback. 80 lbs of LR. just wondering if my mushrooms look ok??? i got PC lighting. tell me what you guys think and if you think my mushrooms look ok... they've been in my tank for about a hour and a half...

anthony17

quick question.... one of the mushrooms have completely closed up... my lights have been off for about 3 hours... are they supposed to close up or is something wrong here??? i think im gettting extremely paranoid here!!!! im testing all my levels and everything looks good but i saw that one mushroom all closed up in a balloon shape and i got nervous....

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by ANTHONY17
quick question.... one of the mushrooms have completely closed up... my lights have been off for about 3 hours... are they supposed to close up or is something wrong here??? i think im gettting extremely paranoid here!!!! im testing all my levels and everything looks good but i saw that one mushroom all closed up in a balloon shape and i got nervous....
Nothing to be alarmed about. It's normal....Just wait until it's adjusted to your tank. Mushrooms are hardy!!! :happyfish

anthony17

yea i came home from work today and their huge so i guess thier doing well... i dont know what the other thing is called does any else know??? does anyone add any additives to thier tank for mushrooms and stuff??? im just wondering if im going to need any additives for what i got???

mikeyjer

yea i came home from work today and their huge so i guess thier doing well... i dont know what the other thing is called does any else know??? does anyone add any additives to thier tank for mushrooms and stuff??? im just wondering if im going to need any additives for what i got???
It looks like some sort of leather to me. Inorder to add additives, you need to check your water parameters before adding. Just keep up your calcium levels! :happyfish

anthony17

yea im thinking about getting a calcuim buffer and i do test for calcium.... one more question can my calcium level get to high??? or is it the higher the better???

hot883

ANTHONY17 said:
.. i dont know what the other thing is called does any else know??? QUOTE]
Make sure you research BEFORE you purchase to ensure you have the right lights, flow , age of tank etc. Should never bring something home and then ask if anyone knows what it is.
Those are nice shrooms. When you get brave, research fragging and try your hand at that. Good luck.

anthony17

yea ,well the lfs told me it was a leather but i just forgot what kind it was... my shrooms have really opened up more and are kinda taking over the rock and the leather is really fun to watch early in the morning to watch it stretch out...

hot883

yea ,well the lfs told me it was a leather but i just forgot what kind it was... my shrooms have really opened up more and are kinda taking over the rock and the leather is really fun to watch early in the morning to watch it stretch out...
My kenya tree does the same.

W

winstew

How sturdy is that rock work... It looks really good but I had a bad expirence with the topple effect and wouldn't want any1 esle to go through that.

arsen_36

you should keep your calcium at around 420. i don't know what would happen if you go beyond that but what i know is KEEP your calcium levels at 420. so what kind of lighting do you have?

arsen_36

Originally Posted by Winstew
How sturdy is that rock work... It looks really good but I had a bad expirence with the topple effect and wouldn't want any1 esle to go through that.
yeah doesn't look to sturdy....

mikeyjer

IF your rock work isn't sturdy, it might be an issue of it falling over and busting your tank. You need to make sure everything is sturdy. You can always purchase marine epoxy stick to glue the rocks together. There's only certain kinds you can use, do a research in the forum. I can't remember the type I bought at Home Depot....It doesn't work all that great though, I heard two little fishies works better (from a reefer friend of mine), you can buy them online. :happyfish

anthony17

just an updated pic of my mushrooms they've stretched all the way out now and look alot better... i got this rock for $45 it has 10 mushrooms on it... is that a good deal??? anyways here it is.

mikeyjer

just an updated pic of my mushrooms they've stretched all the way out now and look alot better... i got this rock for $45 it has 10 mushrooms on it... is that a good deal??? anyways here it is.
How many lbs is that rock?? To me it's kinda expensive....I give 50 cent for my mushrooms, but that was at my local frag swap meeting....

iluvreefs

With your leather coral...you said in the morning that it stretches out. I was wondering if you need to place it higher up in the tank. When I used to work at a LFS, we had to place the leathers higher up in the tank because they seemed to like the light. Just a suggestion.

mrsdorothy

Originally Posted by Iluvreefs
With your leather coral...you said in the morning that it stretches out. I was wondering if you need to place it higher up in the tank. When I used to work at a LFS, we had to place the leathers higher up in the tank because they seemed to like the light. Just a suggestion.
Yes place it higher up in the tank. Your leather looks like a thin finger leather coral (sinularia sp). I have one that looks almost like yours which is a pulsing sinularia.