New 75g Reef Tank

snakeblitz33

The incoming TDS of my tap water has decreased down to averaging 225. Outgoing TDS is still 0. Good signs. I'm going to cut the egg crate to fit the top of the auto top off unit to keep toys out of it. Hopefully that won't happen.

I'm still buying live rock this weekend, regardless of moving or not. I really want to enjoy some fish for a couple of months anyways.

I need some ideas of how to find an air leak in my return line and how to fix it. The worst connection I had was the adapter ell into the threaded bulkhead. I used plenty of Teflon but it seemed like it just went in too easily. I am thinking about taping it up to see if it's just a bad connection. At least nothing is leaking.

If the tape seals the air leak, I might turn off the return pump for a while and smear some of that good RTV silicone around it. That ought to fix the problem more permanently. I hope it's just that one connection that's drawing air.

jc74

Speaking of LED, Current USA Orbit Marine LEDs look incredible with all kinds of lighting effects. I recently ordered a T5 quad for my 75 gallon but now I'm wishing I went with LED. Cooler and cheaper to run, and people are claiming their corals are thriving.

Nice setup btw.

snakeblitz33

Thanks JC74.

I'm still considerin those cheap Chinese LED lights. It just depends I guess on what I find it I keep researching. I Have looked at a lot of tanks in person that have LEDs and my favorite so far have been ATI radeons. But they are like $800 a piece. That would be a dream lighting system for me. Lol. I don't think I want to spend that much on lights.

Today I am going to buy live rock and base rock for the tank. It's time some rock went into it. I have to buy a masonry bit so I can drill a few holes and zip tie some together. I want to make this rock work look awesome.

In truth, I wish I had some cured Pukani base rock from BRS. But, they haven't had it for a long time and I'm not waiting.

eric b 125

Even with me running a very reduced lighting schedule (like 4hrs/ day for a few weeks after a 3 day black out) the two corals I have are still looking good under the ReefBreeders.

snakeblitz33

I liked the Reefbreeders. I wonder if they have a photon 48 with tank holders or something. I don't really want a canopy.

I'm fixing to be on my way to buy some live rock. I'm getting excited!

eric b 125

I liked the Reefbreeders. I wonder if they have a photon 48 with tank holders or something. I don't really want a canopy.

I'm fixing to be on my way to buy some live rock. I'm getting excited!
I built some cheap light hangers with conduit and painted them flat black. They look real clean, almost like I knew what I was doing. I had to buy a pipe bender but returned it right after I used it, LOL. At the end of the day I think I spent like $30 on them.

snakeblitz33

Cool. I got a conduit bender. Lol. I'll think about it.

Bang guy, there was a different thread talking about aquascaping and you said something like "you must put it on three points. Not one, not two, not four or five but exactly three points." Did you jus make a Monty Python reference? Talking about the counts to throwing the holy grenade?

bang guy

LOL, no. If every rock has exactly three points of support the rock stack cannot fall.

Ever sat at a wobbly table? Those tables have more than three legs. Tables with three legs will not ever wobble.

snakeblitz33

Yep.

Rock and sand is in the tank. Aquascape somewhat. I might want to change it a little. I did not use zip ties like I thought. It went together fairly easily and I liked the shelving rocks that I bought.

The tank is cloudy. I added the bioclarifier to it anyways. It should be pretty nice and clean looking in 24 hours.

snakeblitz33

I decided to buy the kalk stirrer and Biopellets sooner rather than later. The last addition I need is decent lighting and I'll be set for some fish and live rock.

bang guy

I find it interesting that Carbonate isn't mentioned on the package. Maybe it's because Lime doesn't actually contain any Carbon but it does "supply" a tank with Carbonate.

Those ReefBreeder lights are quite interesting. I'm going to give those a very close look.

snakeblitz33

The large print doesn't mention it, but it does say in the fine print that it does add carbonate/alkalinity to the tank. I asked my LFS owner if he uses it and he said yes- in clients tanks that have a two little fishies kalk stirrer. I asked him how he likes that brand and he said he has had no problems with it so far.

I think that a lot of people plop down a cup of kalk powder in the stirrer and hook it up. They don't realize that you actually mix it as a slurry and pour it into the unit and cap it off and wait an hour before putting it back on the system. A lot of people say it won't mix or it gums up. Lol. I think I find it amusing when people don't read directions.

Believe it or not, the water is clearing up really fast because of that bioclarifier and the 200micron felt filter socks.

snakeblitz33

No fair! BRS just sent me a coupon for $10 off on the items I still have in my cart. Lol!!

It's a kalk stirrer and a skimz 123 monzter mini protein skimmer and s few accessories.

snakeblitz33

Spent most of the evening working on my apex jr. I can't connect it to a computer so I had to restore it to factory defaults. I programmed everything in and now it's good to go.