New 75g Saltwater Tank

cwesley512

I want to set up a 75g saltwater tank in my living room, my question is do I need to use a sump? or can I just use a AquaC Remora hang-on protien skimmer and live rock for filteration? This will be FOWLR set up.....

culp

you could go with out a sump. but a sump does make it a little easier. plus it looks nicer keeping the protein skimmer, and heater out of sight.

markw

You can also put some Chaetomorpha in the sump to help with the nitrates. I am a big fan of this.
Mark

cwesley512

Its easier? I have no experience with a sump... does it just go below the tank? It seems like it would be really messy and hard to hook up. But I don't know...

crypt keeper

They are very simple. i just built my own. Check out my thread in the aggressive section. Lots of information and detail. I can help with any questions you need. Do you tank have a built in overflow?

meowzer

Originally Posted by cwesley512
http:///forum/post/3010929
Its easier? I have no experience with a sump... does it just go below the tank? It seems like it would be really messy and hard to hook up. But I don't know...
I got one and hooked it up....so I am willing to bet anyone could

cwesley512

Is there alot of maintanance on them? Are the loud? It seems like it would be hard to get to if you need to work on it or something. I guess you could work on it from the front through the stand right? How big of a tank would I need for a 75g tank?

meowzer

Look up sealife systems pro....go to the wet/dry tab and I think the Pro 75 might work for a 75g tank. I like mine a lot...they come with the protein skimmer, and the overflow stuff...everything you need but the return pump

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by cwesley512
http:///forum/post/3010953
Is there alot of maintanance on them? Are the loud? It seems like it would be hard to get to if you need to work on it or something. I guess you could work on it from the front through the stand right? How big of a tank would I need for a 75g tank?
No. No. No. Yes. Regular 30 gallon. Not a breeder type. You want room in case you power shuts off and your return empties and your overflow flows until it can overflow anymore. generally about 5 gallons.

What you could do to make things much easier for you and there is no setup is get a hang on the tank refugium. For a fowler tank you dont need a sump though. I like having one because I can put my protine skimmer and heaters in it.