new 8 gallon tank!

nikesb

take a picture of the algae, could be bryopsis. feed the fish prolly every other day. no need to feed him every day. algae lives off excess nutrients, so your nutrients are coming from somewhere. you should also get a brand new tooth brush, take the colt coral out of the tank and scrub it down

bornagain

The Xenia can be easy for some, hard for others. They are definitely the most beautiful. You tend not to see them in nanos because they can become a nuisance. They can spread and takeover your tank. However, the most impressive tank I have ever personally seen was a 90g completely covered in Pom Pom Xenia
I personally would recommend the Star polyps. This was my first coral when I started saltwater tanks. Grows well in less pristine conditions. Most Zoos are also fairly easy. Xenia would be the hardest of the 3 to keep, unless you have great water conditions.
Try all 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gilbert

Originally Posted by nikeSB
http:///forum/post/3256232
take a picture of the algae, could be bryopsis. feed the fish prolly every other day. no need to feed him every day. algae lives off excess nutrients, so your nutrients are coming from somewhere. you should also get a brand new tooth brush, take the colt coral out of the tank and scrub it down
I don't think I can take a picture of it at the moment, because I just scrubbed it off, but I will try tomorrow (it grows back just as large each day I pull it off so it will be back tomorrow). The algae has long strands about 4-6 inches long, and many have air bubbles on the ends. I was wrong about the colt coral, there was just some free-floating algae that got caught on it.

gilbert

Originally Posted by BornAgain
http:///forum/post/3256294
The Xenia can be easy for some, hard for others. They are definitely the most beautiful. You tend not to see them in nanos because they can become a nuisance. They can spread and takeover your tank. However, the most impressive tank I have ever personally seen was a 90g completely covered in Pom Pom Xenia
I personally would recommend the Star polyps. This was my first coral when I started saltwater tanks. Grows well in less pristine conditions. Most Zoos are also fairly easy. Xenia would be the hardest of the 3 to keep, unless you have great water conditions.
Try all 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the green star polyps, they are doing great! I got them about two weeks ago, and I think there has already been some slight growth! I want to get some zoos, there is an LFS with these awesome rocks, completely covered, for only $40, so I might get those sometime soon. I want to get a xenia, but all of the ones I've found are really expensive (for my budget), so those will have to wait.

gilbert

I found some xenia at my LFS that was fairly cheap, so I got it. It looks pretty happy right now, it's pulsing really well.

speg

Regular camera or cell phone? Cell phone can be emailed the same way you'd text.. with a camera: a lot of attachment cords that can transfer images from them to a computer program (kodak easy share, etc).

gilbert

Originally Posted by Speg
http:///forum/post/3260527
Regular camera or cell phone? Cell phone can be emailed the same way you'd text.. with a camera: a lot of attachment cords that can transfer images from them to a computer program (kodak easy share, etc).
Ok thanks, I'll try to get some pics soon.

gilbert

Ok, still no pics, but now I have a torch coral and a red scooter blenny. I got the torch yesterday, and it looks pretty good. The scooter blenny is still acclimating, just got him an hour or so ago.

gilbert

Not sure what I'm going to feed him yet. I have mysis shrimp, and the guy and the LFS said he was eating frozen food, but he refused when I tried to feed him just now. I'll give him a few days to hopefully acclimate and see if he'll eat it but if he doesn't I might set up a copepod breeding tank seperate from the DT.

gilbert

He eats! It took a while, but I got the scooter to eat some mysis, and he looks happy, hopefully he's getting enough.

gilbert

Thanks! Still no pictures yet, I haven't had a lot of time on my hands lately. Oh, I got an anthelia a week or two ago. It looks almost as good as the xenia (which has now been fragged twice).

gilbert

Two questions.
1)I feed my tank every other day. Should I be feeding more for my scooter blenny?
2)I'm thinking about getting rid of my xenia, and I want to turn this into a mainly stony dominated tank. Would candy cane be OK in my tank?