new 8 gallon tank!

gilbert

And what about my scooter blenny? I want to upgrade my tank to the new Biocube with HQI lighting, so I can hold off clams and SPS until then...

nikesb

he should probably fed every other day. not every day. curious as to why you choose mh, therell be a t5 kit for your tank soon and it should be able to hold sps and clams easily. that being said, itll take more than lighting to be successful with sps

gilbert

That's what I'm feeding him now. I know it'll take more than lights for SPS and clams, but what's the fun without a bit of challenge? I just think metal halides are a little better than t5s from what I've heard, and that's what's available right now for Biocube. I don't have the money for the tank yet, so when I can get it, who knows what'll be out? I'll just have to wait and see, I guess...

gilbert

How come? I always thought that metal halides were the best. I'm not good with lights, so thanks for helping me.

nikesb

Originally Posted by gilbert
http:///forum/post/3280570
How come? I always thought that metal halides were the best. I'm not good with lights, so thanks for helping me.
well, mh is good for penetration, and you can choose from a wide array of bulbs to your coloration, but theres the big downsides of heat and cost. heat is a big one for nano tanks. t5 allows you to control the exact spectrum of your tank, it also produces less heat. dont get me wrong, i dont have a problem at all with mh set ups, i think a combo of both mh and t5s is the best for tanks that can have mh. t5's are PAR beast fixtures, especially ATI. look for some zeo tanks and youll see that t5's give them the cover they want to bring out crazy colors in their tanks. personally ive been wanting to do led's but just dont have the cash for it

gilbert

Zeo? What's that? Also, even if t5s are better, it doesn't work for me yet, because the only high-powered lights that Oceanic offers for its Biocube are metal halides, so if I want SPS without upgrading the lights or something like that, I have to go with metal halides. Maybe when I upgrade to something different and bigger than a Biocube, I'll get t5s.

nikesb

its not only oceanic thats making lights for the biocube. there will soon be a hybrid t5 + led fixture thats gonna be perfect for your tank and you get to choose the colors yourself. this would be in the 350$ range but im sure itll be one of the best out there for nano's

Y

yoshii

Also, you'll have to buy a chiller for that tank if you get MHs, and evaporation will be an added issue too

gilbert

I think they addressed that. But you're right, I'll have to probably get something to cool my room down.

gilbert

Thanks. The xenia is getting too big, though. I have three colonies in tank, and my dad's got another one... It's a weed!