New anemone & Attacked clownfish

4clownfish

I've had a pair of clownfish for about 8 months and never any sign of ich or any disease or infection of any sort. I have 2 clownfish and a psuedochromis in my tank. The psuedochromis loves to swim through the LR. But, when a clownfish gets to close to where hes at - they go opposite ways. But now i've noticed one of my clownfish has white marks on his skin. Would these white marks be the dead skin or could it be a disease or bacterial infection?!? The white marks on the clownfish are the shape of a fish mouth, almost perfectly oval.

Other note,
I bought a rock from a LFS with lots of Zoo's on it. When I got home I thought it was all zoo's. But, I noticed one had "tentacles". Anyways, its an anemone!! Never seen this kind before. Its fast to react to things. If I touch it when my squeege it instanly disapears. It has white strips on it and a white opening (mouth hole). Know anything about this species or its relatives?

stevedave08

Originally Posted by 4Clownfish
http:///forum/post/3193309
I've had a pair of clownfish for about 8 months and never any sign of ich or any disease or infection of any sort. I have 2 clownfish and a psuedochromis in my tank. The psuedochromis loves to swim through the LR. But, when a clownfish gets to close to where hes at - they go opposite ways. But now i've noticed one of my clownfish has white marks on his skin. Would these white marks be the dead skin or could it be a disease or bacterial infection?!? The white marks on the clownfish are the shape of a fish mouth, almost perfectly oval.

Other note,
I bought a rock from a LFS with lots of Zoo's on it. When I got home I thought it was all zoo's. But, I noticed one had "tentacles". Anyways, its an anemone!! Never seen this kind before. Its fast to react to things. If I touch it when my squeege it instanly disapears. It has white strips on it and a white opening (mouth hole). Know anything about this species or its relatives?

The anemone is aiptasia. The whites stuff is more than likely, ich.

4clownfish

Not what I wanted to hear. Ich can use anemones as a host? Not good.....
anyway, check on my red emerald in the invert section.
Clownfish... Ich?

stevedave08

Originally Posted by 4Clownfish
http:///forum/post/3193318
Not what I wanted to hear. Ich can use anemones as a host? Not good.....
anyway, check on my red emerald in the invert section.
Clownfish... Ich?
I meant the fish probably has ich. The anemone is considered a nuisance by most people because it's not very pretty and spreads quickly. The white on the anemone is just part of its being hideous.

garick

That doesn't really look like ich to me. Ich is usually salt grain looking stuff sprinkled on the fishes body.
That could be a scrape, a sting from the anemone, or some sort of bacterial/fungal problem caused by a sting or a scrape on the rocks (just my opinion)
Does the fish act sick or ill? if not it may simply be a flesh wound that will go away with some good feeding and TLC
If you've had them that long you should be able to tell if they are not acting normally. Also as usual check your water params and make sure they are on par. With new LR comes new hitch hikers and possibly chemistry issues.

Originally Posted by Reef_Dart21
http:///forum/post/3193445
Thats a rock anemone not aiptasia, aiptasia is more clear. Rock anemonees are just as ugly but not much of a pest
I disagree, I'm certain that it's aptasia, I have some that looks exactly like that and I know it's aptasia --it's all over my tank x.x As far as the white marks being ich, does the fish dart down to rocks and kind of scratch himself on them? If he does, it's definitely ich.

fretfreak13

Rock nems and Aptasia are closely related, and both are considered pests because they spread quickly and sting everything they come in contact with. They can be killed the same ways.
Also, look up Brooknellya. Probably spelled it wrong, but it's a disease that resembles ICH that is very common in clownfish.

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/post/3193550
Rock nems and Aptasia are closely related, and both are considered pests because they spread quickly and sting everything they come in contact with. They can be killed the same ways.
Also, look up Brooknellya. Probably spelled it wrong, but it's a disease that resembles ICH that is very common in clownfish.
i resent that lol i have 2 rock anemones XD they are green/pink

flower

I say it is an Aiptasia. Kill it with Joes juice, Aiptasia X or peppermint shrimp. Also boiling water, and lemon juice I hear works.
What ich? I see a bite mark on the fish and not a severe one at that. I have had aiptasia that are spotted, some are clear, some are a solid rust color.