New Fish........Problem? Help needed

fishytim

I bought this yellow tang on Wednesday evening. I acclimated him using the drip method like I have always done with my fish...
He looks great, his color is very vibrant, except his lips look a little whittish, but not alot.
He has not eaten anything yet.... plus he is keeps swimming up and down in the corners of the tank and on the side of the glass... Something just does not seem right...
any advice? I am going to go tomorrow morning and get him some seeweed to see if that will help him eat...

fishytim

by the way.....
i tested my water....
1.024 salinity
ph is good
ammonia and nitrite are zero
nitrate is 5
79 temp

fishytim

Tank is a little over a month old...
90 gallons....
I have tried ORAGLO pellets and flakes...
I have a 55 gallon sump with a protein skimmer(Kent Marine Nautilus TE - working like a charm), 25 pounds of live rock, 70 pounds of base rock...
also have a little firefish in there that is doing/looking great and a skunk cleaner that's doing great.

meowzer

You have only had him 2 days, get some algae sheets, and see if it will eat that, and just let it adjust to its new environment.

fishytim

Amazing.
Went out this morning and god some seaweed and a clip...popped them in there... we wasnt real sure at first and hid behind the rocks.. then slowly appraoched it and started chowing down. He is swimming all over the tank now...

coastie81

just so you know that is a yellow mimic tang. Also keep algae sheets in the tank to keep him fed. you can also feed mysis just soak it in garlic or selcon or zoe. nice fish though.
I see truefishman beat me to the fish type

meowzer

LOL...I am no expert, and wasn't going to say anything, but I didn't think it looked like my yellow tang...it was shaped a little different.

shyfish

Hi,
I think its normal, some new fish won't eat for a few days. He is kind of wierd looking, like a cross between an angel and a tang. Beautiful color!
IMO his actions are the result of a very clean tank. he is seeing a reflection and he thinks he can get over to the "other side" and pick a fight with that other tang he is seeing.

Older tanks have algea built up on the glass and it doesnt reflect so perfectly