New flame scallop from SWF

T

tulip89

I just got this in today.. I was impressed with the shipping, was very fast. and everything is great :happy: Here is one of my flame scallops.. The other is a little bigger..

rossv

good luck. They are very hard to keep =/
both i have bought died within a month. Id suggest spot feeding it as much as possible.

S

shouse

i find that interesting. I bought my scallop like a week into having my tank setup and it's always been fine to this day. He can be a pest though, somedays he decides he wants to move and he likes to wreck my rock structure....cool to watch however.

T

tulip89

I will remember that, Do they move around till happy.. They both split ,and can't seem to find them.. :confused:

harlequinnut

Originally posted by Shouse
i find that interesting. I bought my scallop like a week into having my tank setup and it's always been fine to this day. He can be a pest though, somedays he decides he wants to move and he likes to wreck my rock structure....cool to watch however.

Lucky you! How long have you had it now?

boadyboom

do hermits attack these flame scallops? and what can you feed them--- i dont know if my clean up crew will go after em

T

tulip89

What actually can you feed it besides phytoplakton ?? I just spot feeded one of them with marine snow.. Can't find the other one.. I added more this time , becuase of them.. Anyone have any other foods they like. ?? :confused: And the thing behind the scallop is a torch coral.. My BTA is below

jawfishray

hmmm, I have kept scallops for almost my entire experience with saltwater (23+yrs) and I have never used supplimental food sources.
I have had losses and fortunately the right size tanks and enough cleaners to deal with the issue before it caused major issues within the system.
But I find my self wondering if I may have starved them. They always seemed to be in good health....moved around, jetted cleaners away from them, open and filtering.
Currently I have 4 bay scallops in my 20gal fuge and again I assumed good health with movement and constant activity.
I had mentioned before that I primarily use fresh offshore saltwater, planktons, and pods to bring life to my tank; in winter and non diving months I do augment with ready made water. I had assumed there was enough "life" in the water to bring the bits of yummies to my little dudes.
I would feel terrible if I had brought these guys in only to starve them.
What signs, beyond the basic common sense ones of shrinking tendrils, loss of flesh thickness/color, no shell growth, lack of activity could I use to determine if these filter feeders are getting enough to eat?
Shoot, I have maintained 100's of caribbean cluster feather worms, a dozon or so large caribbean calcifying feather worms, and a dozen or so scallops (bay, ocean, red and white "flame") at the same time in the same tank (250gl) maintained the same way I mentioned earlier...without any major issues.
Now as I used primarily collected flora/fauna, I would return/exchange pieces of "live" rock to reclaim fresh micro and macro life, return any fauna that were slow to eat or were acting too lathergic (so they could recoop in their original environment), and other such routines.
So you can understand my concern. I know that they are just simple lifeforms, but I have a sense of responsibiltiy from removing them from their environments. If I was bringing them in for my and my families visual enjoyment, just to starve them I would feel quite put out.
So I guess the question at hand in this...am I providing enough micro life for my filter feeders (and I do not run a skimmer...thats what I have my filter feeders for, I thought).
Ray Boemler
www.peanutbutterjellyfish.com

sammystingray

Almost all reading on the internet will tell you that they always starve in closed systems. They have huge appetites, and a tank obviously doesn't have anywhere near the suspended food supply that the seas do. Most research wil also tell you that even direct feedings won't be enough......you would basically crash your tank trying to feed them enough.
I consider them a novelty just like a feather star etc, and if you buy either, you know you will be slowly starving them.

jawfishray

Fair enough, I figured that was the direction this was going. I will release these guys back to their original locations.
Thanks for the input.
Ray

joemack

I hear that they only live for 2 years and when you get them they are already a year old (full size?) , but I don't rememeber the article. So if you can get them to live a year then they have lived their life span. Just a comment.

beachbumtx

Originally posted by JawfishRay
Fair enough, I figured that was the direction this was going. I will release these guys back to their original locations.
Thanks for the input.
Ray

Hiya!,
Nice to see another user from Corpus Christi! :)