New Flame Scallop

meowzer

I have read that flame scallops are hard, BUT, I already have one coming to me. So my question is this....Do I place it somewhere specific in the tank, or just let it land where it wants????

greenreefer

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2765036
I have read that flame scallops are hard, BUT, I already have one coming to me. So my question is this....Do I place it somewhere specific in the tank, or just let it land where it wants????
I kept one many moons ago and they are difficult to keep fed IMO. It doesn't matter where you put them, they will move themselves. At least mine would squirt water out to propel it self around the tank, up and down, and side to side. Usually to find a nice quite home, where no one could see it :(

meowzer

That's what I have been reading...LOL...Well since it is already on its way to me, I guess I will have my own experience to write about. Hopefully I'll be able to see this one, and keep it alive.

kinerson

I've kept a couple over the years. Lost them over time. I think I kept on for a couple years before I lost him. It seems like they need a large system where there is plenty of food available for filtering out. It makes think think of the large feather dusters. They are hard to keep also and for the same reason i think.

reefkprz

their natural lifespan is only three years any how so no matter how large a system or what you feed they are going to diwe shortly anyhow as most specimens are just about fully grown when purchased.
they do rely solely on filter foods so they tend to die quickly in your average aquarists tank anyhow.

oceanlover

My teenage son wanted a flame scallop even though the LFS told him it wouldn't live very long. In fact, since I had purchased my very expensive system there a couple of months previously, they gave it to him for free. That was about a year ago. (I think they were charging about $15 for them here in northern California.)
The scallop will indeed move regardless of where you want them. Ours has moved itself into a corner where debris can collect. We have a lovely large sump stocked full of articpods and will also use phytoplankton. When I hand feed three times a week I usually squirt some mysis shrimp, small meaty bits, or cyclopeeze in its direction.
It started out just slightly larger than a quarter and now it is bigger than a silver dollar. If Reefkprz is correct, it will be dead within 2 years. But it has a reasonably good life other than when a clown tries to host it.