New Frag Setup

greenreefer

I've been fragging rics and zoanthids for quite some time and I figured I'd share my latest method. I use to do the typical cut and glue method for zoanthinds, but recently I decided I wanted to try something a little less time consuming. I bought a 12 inch by 12 inch sheet of 1 inch travertine tiles. I soaked the sheet in hot water for a couple of hours and then got out a vegetable brush and removed the rest of the glue from tiles. I doubt you can beat 144 frags for under 10 bucks. Next I took 1/2 inch tubing and cut it into 6 inch lengths and then I sliced open the tubing so that it can be opened. I also cut a small hole in one end of the tube, opposite the slice and tied a string through it so it can be hung later from a plastic s hook.
I started this method by initially cutting and gluing a frag on to one of the tiles. Next I place 6 tiles inside the tube. The tube will basically form a half circle so that 1 side of the tile is exposed. I placed the tiles in the following order: BFBBFB where B means blank tile and F means tile with a frag on it. Finally I hung the tube with tiles from an s hook hung on the top edge of the back of the tank. So the tube should be hanging vertically in the tank.
This allowed me to utilize a bunch of wasted space in my display tank and it makes it very easy to frag. As soon as the zoanthids spread to the next tile I pull them apart, restock the original and then create a new one or sell the frag. I've been amazed how much simpler this is and how fast the zoanthids grow towards the light. Look at the top 6 or 7 inches of you back wall it is probably blank, just begging you to start fragging.
Feel free to ask any questions or leave any feedback

greenreefer

I planning on doing several more strips tomorrow, so I'll take pics as i go and try to post tomorrow night. Think of the tube like pipe insulation, where the tiles are the pipe. The tube just serves as a holder, that way no glue.

greenreefer

Well these aren't the greatest pics, because I didn't get a chance to make any new ones today and I haven't cleaned the glass in a while, but I think you can get the idea. These are pics of some i created on Saturday. I post some pics the next time a make some new ones.

renogaw

how well do they grow on an incline? this is such a better idea than the standard eggcrate platforms

grabbitt

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2580015
how well do they grow on an incline? this is such a better idea than the standard eggcrate platforms
Definitely a space-saver. I am currently growing out a colony of whammin' watermelon zoos on my back panel right on the glass to save room, lol.

greenreefer

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2580015
My experience is that they grow much better on an incline, but this is fairly new to me so I don't have tons of history yet to say for sure.

greenreefer

I got a chance to make some new frag strips last night so here are some pics.
6 inch sections of 1/2 inch tubing

cut open

cut open

inserting frags

finshed product, although usually more blanks inbetween frags so they can spread. I was just in a hurry last night.

BTW...I will have 40 - 50 zoanthid frags forsale or trade in a couple of weeks (fire and ice, blue tubs, purple death, AOG, watermelons, and several other colorful ones ones). I also should have about 5 orange and 5 pink ricordea yuma frags, maybe 10 or so ricordea florida frags(assorted colors), a 4 inch really pretty maxima clam, a branch of duncans (6 large heads, maybe 10 smaller heads), and a couple other misc things. Send me a pm if you want me to notify you when I post this stuff forsale.

reefkprz

LOVE IT!!!! I hope you dont mind if I steal this Idea for use in my 65g (though I'll probably use marble slabs instead of tile since I have them on hand)

greenreefer

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2582287
LOVE IT!!!! I hope you dont mind if I steal this Idea for use in my 65g (though I'll probably use marble slabs instead of tile since I have them on hand)
go for it. I posted for this very reason.

greenreefer

Originally Posted by Rootx69
http:///forum/post/2583385
hey greenreefer what do uses for the hanging hooks?
I used several different things. I found plastic s hooks at Lowes and used those with fishing line and a small hole punched through the tubing. I also recently found plastic paper clasps at Staples that work well and are cheap, but they wouldn't work for a standard tank. my aquapod has a very thin wall to seperate the dt from the in tank sump area and that is where I hang these. I also tried suction cup hooks found in the bath area at Lowes. It does take a little while to find something decent and cheap for your back wall.

reefkprz

your method works for hanging plugs too. I just made two strips one with marble and one with plugs
big thumbs up for the hanging frag strips.

greenreefer

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2584283
your method works for hanging plugs too. I just made two strips one with marble and one with plugs
big thumbs up for the hanging frag strips.
great addition, do you mind sharing what you used to hang your strips by and where you got it. I don't have a standard back wall and several people have asked what to use.

reefkprz

well my tank is close to the wall, so I didnt cut all the way to the top of the tubing and used two long zip ties to make a plastic chain and screwed a cup hook into the wall behind my tank.