New Frag Tank

maxalmon

Made new eggcrate shelving, the prior one was kinda flimsy and not big enough, this one is 36" long with 2 shelves that are 6" wide, so far I've just about filled it up, next is the shelving for the lowlight side of the tank. I made the shelving to be somewhat modular, as I can just add new pieces to the side and extend the shelves as needed. Last pic is my micromussas, crappy photo, but the colors are almost neon...

maxalmon

Finally got the new lights installed! 2x250w I think I'm going to go ahead and get new Radium bulbs and move the Phoenix over to my DT. I have to admitt that my micromussas are loving the Pheonix bulbs, they doubled in size and coloredup pretty intense.
Just finished the eggcrate grid for the right side, got several shipments of corals arriving today along with some plugs and disk to start even more fragging adventrures. I have the huge tri-color acro to frag, should get about 20 x 1.5" frags from that one.

triga22

Wow, I know what to ask for x-mas. Thats some new lights. Those corals are awsome and lights will be my xmas gift.

curlsoc

Sigh, it's hard to look at all those pretty corals and know my tank is still cycling (freekin' nitrates!!!! Almost there, almost there) and just drool. Hopefully you'll have some nice zoo's by the time I'm fully up and running. I happen to be 6 months preggo and I do hope to get something besides a cleanup crew in there before I have a baby, dang it!!! Awesome frag tank, would love to do this eventually, and make my tank sorta self sufficent, sell frags to LFS for salt, etc.

m0nk

Very cool frag tank! I don't even think my LFS (saltwater only, btw) has anything close to as cool as that.

reefkprz

so max when my girlfriend and I go out to vegas to get married we are coming over to your house to see this all in person. (is it rude to just invite myself over like that?
) your welcome to come out drinking and gambling with us too.

maxalmon

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
so max when my girlfriend and I go out to vegas to get married we are coming over to your house to see this all in person. (is it rude to just invite myself over like that?
) your welcome to come out drinking and gambling with us too.
Hey, I know all the best places to play....I actually do really good with keno and video poker, won 10k at the grocery store a few weeks back, funny story, seriously went in to buy JUST a toilet plunger and on the way out chunked down $10 into a 5 play .50 machine and it dealt me a royal flush, so it was literally a ROYAL FLUSH,...LOL.... thats how I'm paying for all the new corals!
Anytime anyones in Vegas, just drop me a line, I've got display tanks at my retail stores and if anyone wants frags, just drop on by anytime.
Just got these from Viper, red and green Acan, blue and the Green and orange cloves, 1" frag of superman and a freebie of a LE Tyree pink polyp.
The blue cloves are seriously neon blue, very cool coral....

tx reef

I got an Atlantis Pink Polyp and Superman from Viper about a year ago. You will be amazed at how fast it grows. It is the fastest growing coral in my tank.
The Superman will grow pretty fast, too.
Both are extremely hardy. I put mine through a lot of crap when I first got them and they kept their colors and kept on growing despite my water conditions............

maxalmon

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Both are extremely hardy. I put mine through a lot of crap when I first got them and they kept their colors and kept on growing despite my water conditions............
TX- Sorry if I came of as arrogant in the whole lighting post, wasn't my intention and it just kinda blew up, thats the reason I edited my post, your a respected member of this board and as always, any comments you make are appreciated. Jim
How did you mount your Altlantis? I'm considering fragging it into 3 pieces since it's not mounted. Acan gets fragged later tonight, gota get my acan fragging skills up to speed as I got a shipment of aussie acans I want to order and then frag them....
Bummer, plugs and disk didn't arrive today and I had a huge disaster with new eggcrate design, made the blasted thing too tall, so gota haul it out and cut the legs down, not to mention forgot to include overflow box, powerheads etc...
I just finished fragging about 20 white, pom pom xenia, I have to admitt that I'm a little perplexed at why everyone considers xenia hard to frag, bury them in the sand and then use superglue, i've done about 40 frags so far and it works perfect. I even used a razor and scraped about 10 xenias off the back wall of my tank, buried them in sand and used superglue the next day to mount them to a frag disk..... If this technique appears in a publication, plese give me some credit LOL

curlsoc

Originally Posted by maxalmon
Hey, I know all the best places to play....I actually do really good with keno and video poker, won 10k at the grocery store a few weeks back, funny story, seriously went in to buy JUST a toilet plunger and on the way out chunked down $10 into a 5 play .50 machine and it dealt me a royal flush, so it was literally a ROYAL FLUSH,...LOL.... thats how I'm paying for all the new corals!
No kidding!! That's what I need to do. Might have to drive on up and win me some corals
No wonder you have a new frag tank!

brandan

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but how on earth did you get the tank and stand for $220!!!!!!!!!?????? Thats awesome

maxalmon

Originally Posted by Brandan
I hope this doesn't sound rude, but how on earth did you get the tank and stand for $220!!!!!!!!!?????? Thats awesome
Around here the 85g Fujimoto (brand) tanks are $85 at every store in town, stand was something like $120, toss in some tax and there you are.... Not the best tanks in the world, but for the price, they work......Difference between this tank and my All-Glass brand tank is the thickness of the glass

good alex

those are reef plugs, you can buy them to put the frags on and then place them in the eggcrate so they dont fall over or anything.

maxalmon

You can use a variety of substrates as base for plugs, the one you pointed out is produced by Boston Aquatics, just google for "boston reef plugs"
HEY SWF how about you guys carry some fragging items!

My world pretty much revolves around fragging, I have about 60 that I have to make today, so I've gotten pretty creative as I really dislike the standard reef disk and plugs. Here are some like to other items that I've used, I just ordered 15lbs of Tonga branch that I'm going to cut into .25 thick slices and use for some of my exotics, for encrusting corals I like to glue dead coral onto the disk and this gives the frag some dimension and makes it more pleasing to place in aquarium
You can also use WHITE marble (ask reefkprz hes a fragging pro) but not granite
sheets of glass, plexiglass, LR rubble & old dead corals which are great for encrusting projects
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/276183/creating-base-for-some-coral-gardens

maxalmon

Just finished fragging part of the blue clove frag I just got from Viper. I don't 100% frag a mother colony, only taking maybe 20-30% at a time. This project I was able to lift a 3/8" section and with surgical precision (LOL)I was able to section off individual polyps or small clusters of 2-3 polyps, I've found that if I use 2 razor blades like you would a knife and fork I'm able to cut away with pretty good precision just about any type of soft coral. From this 3/8" section I was able to frag 5 small "gardens" these are pretty fast growing corals so I'll measure growth over a period of time and post before and after's
Next project is a bright orange encrusting monti and a neon green denai (sp)

brandan

Originally Posted by maxalmon
Around here the 85g Fujimoto (brand) tanks are $85 at every store in town, stand was something like $120, toss in some tax and there you are.... Not the best tanks in the world, but for the price, they work......Difference between this tank and my All-Glass brand tank is the thickness of the glass
I have heard of those tanks before, but I don't think anyone around here carries them. Frags are lookin awesome btw.

sk8shorty01

Man you have a gorgeous set of corals there. I wish I had even a tenth of all of that. I just started my reef so I have almost nothing. Hey, gotta start sometime I guess haha.