New Frag Tank

B

brstwv

This is some really nice fraggin, can I see pics of the Blasto frags if any yet?

B

brstwv

This is some really nice fraggin, can I see pics of the Blasto frags if any yet?

maxalmon

Tank is full, I have no more room, I seriously thought it would take me some time to fill this up. Most of the acros are going, which is about 40% of the tank along with anything thats just basic stuff, going to clear everything out and focus on my aussies, micros, blastos and the interesting montis like superman, pokerstar etc...

maxalmon

My camera really blows, colors are much more intense and everything is starting to color-up realy nice since the switch over to 14k phoenix bulbs

jhebi

Thats some nice frags.....I think you will need another frag tank, that one is getting full....hahahaha.....Sweet......
Max, which glue you using, it seems it's holding well your frags....I use super glue gel, but it seems to always come out.....
Thanks, keep up the good fragginG~~

maxalmon

It spring cleaning time....Argh... I've been putting this off for a while, I've got to organize and re-arrange all the frags, clean the pumps etc... Plus today is another major fragging day so this should keep me busy all day long. Here are the before pics

maxalmon

What a project, about half done... The goal is to move all the recovered frags to the righthand or color-up side of the tank, sounds easy, not.....
Moved 120 frags and still have more to figure out where to place. Also fragged my green and orange cloves

maxalmon

Heres the clove fragging project. Being organized is essential!.. I pretty much try and figure out how many frags I want to make from the mother colony and then have all the supplies layed out and ready. I lucked out, the entire clove colony simply peeled off the rock and from there it was a simple task of using an exacto knife and carving them into 2 polyp frags then using superglue to attach to the frag plugs. These are green cloves and pretty huge when open

maxalmon

I'm always trying to figure out new or easier ways to do things, one of the issues I've always had is the base of the coral is never flat, so there are some problems with how secure the coral is to the plug. Today I was having major problems with fragging this acro, so I started thinking that maybe if I put superglue gel on the bottom of the frag and dip the frag into dry sand it will then have a more stable base. Wow, it worked and I had no problems even if the base of the frag came to a razor point. Also discovered that if you add some glue to top of the plug and then holding the frag, you kind mix the sand in with the glue, hold it for a second and then it's standing up perfect.

grubsnaek

its good to see you have different types of corals, meaning SPS, etc, etc...
what are you using for flow, and what is your turnover rate, its a real sick tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maxalmon

I'm running the new variable seio's with controller a few maxijets and flow from sump for a turnover of 3400gph, about 40x. MRC calcium reactor, along with a controller for the lights, ph, reactor, temp, time etc..That much flow kinda suxs for zenia and cloves, kinda their standing upright, then they get blasted with some flow and then they get bent over. All the softies get transfered over to a 30g softie tank on Mon or Tue, so that will free up a good portion of the tank.
Just upgraded the righthand side light to a Aqualine AB 20k and it's awesome.
Left hand side is Pheonix 14k, I'm going to swap the 14k out for a either an XM or Ushio 10 this week. So L side is 10k, R side is 20k, grow out on one side and color up on the other. I may swap out the lights on the left side for SE bulbs and fixture, that way I can get a 6500k and go for ultra fast growth. I could really careless about the funky yellow color from the 6500k bulbs as the tank is in a remote part of the house and lights are usually on only while I'm at work

grubsnaek

really 6500k works on corals to. i know its great for macro algea, but there plants so 6500k is great for plant growth, i didnt know corals can use them too. also does it have to be with the actinic radiation or just 6500k spectrum.