New house, fish room build 145 gallon setup!

jrlandsman

I am a first time homeowner and settled on Christmas Eve. Of course one of the first things on my list was a fish room. So after we painted teh entire house and got new carpet two days after I settled I built the fish room. It is a 6' by 8' room with a utility sink in it. The viewable sides will be in the family room in the basement when I finish the basement but I wanted to get the tank going so that it looks good for when the basement is done. The setup is a 90 Gallon reef with a 55 gallon sump. Here are some pictures. I have drywalled the room in greenboard which is what goes in bathrooms, it is mildew and mold resistent. Theres a pic of my new TV as well. Any questions or more pics ask I have tons!

jrlandsman

Last of the pics, and one of the other project, hanging the tv. The only problems Im having are lots of micro bubbles in the DT. Im not sure how to get these to go away.

nwdyr

VERY NICE!!
Congrats on the house and the tank , keep us posted with lots of pic's. When is the house warming party?

jrlandsman

its coming soon, we had to paint the entire house and get new carpet in the entire thing so its taking a while to get settled, but soon we will be done. Im finishing the aquascaping today and the cycle is allready started hopefully, gotta get this thing looking nice before the basement is clubbed in.

mie

Very nice, I love the usefullness of the enclosed room with the sink and all tank components. Out of sight out of mind.

jrlandsman

I just wanted somewhere that I could do everything and not have to tote around water and also be able to mount things all over and not be able to close it off from the house.

jrlandsman

Here are some new pics, you can see how I hung the lights on chains the chains are attached to hooks so that when I want to work on the tank all I have to do is move the chains up a few links to make room for me to get in the tank. There are two lights one set is a hamiltion technology 2x175 watt Metal Hailde with 2x110 watts antic and the other is a GLO t5 2x54 watts. The tank is still clearing up, I put some shrimp in to kick start the cycle today. I have 2 protein skimmers in there, 1 sea clone 100 and a CPR Bak Pak. Anyone know how to get rid of all these microbubbles in my DT?

kas2247

WOW, what a Christmas present! How long has the tank actually had water in it? Mine had microbubbles when I first filled it up, but after a few days they all disappeared on their own. I believe skimmers can also cause microbubbles, but I don't know much about how to fix that... so hopefully someone else will chime in!

jrlandsman

yea this Christmas will be hard to beat! The tank has been up for about 3 days now and the micro bubbles are not too bad but I want it to be crystal clear. I think some may be coming out of my skimmers so I have to dial them in a little more.

metcalf vt

You might want to try a filter sock, I have the output on my skimmer going straight into one and it takes care of all the microbubbles. The house looks great, I cannot wait to buy my first place.

jrlandsman

ill try the filter sock, where can I get them? I doweld all the live rock today, about 150 lbs or a little less. Ill post pics tonight or tomm when the water calms down.

jrlandsman

Here are some updates on the rock, we used a Dewalt XRP cordless hammerdrill with a masonry bit and used 9/16 acetal rod to dowel them. Here are some pics.s

jrlandsman

Here are some more pictures, the diatoms have started. I wonder how long after they come until the cycle is over. My ammonia is almost 0 now. I put some damsels in to get things going and have snails and hermits from the guy I get the rock from, a clown as well. No deaths that I have noticed yet. You can see in these pictures my fuge and permanent step to get into the tank, its just tall enough to put bar stolls in front of so I need a step to get in and to the bottom of the tank. Whats everyone think of my aquascaping?