New house, fish room build 145 gallon setup!

jrlandsman

Yeah I need to get a water test kit, my one I used from 3 years ago is trashed, half of the stuff dried up and such. Ill post what the params are in a few days and go from there I def understand what you saying about the large water change tho, thanks for the input!

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlandsman http:///t/344978/new-house-fish-room-build-145-gallon-setup/40#post_3493978
Yeah I need to get a water test kit, my one I used from 3 years ago is trashed, half of the stuff dried up and such. Ill post what the params are in a few days and go from there I def understand what you saying about the large water change tho, thanks for the input!
No problem man!!!
Tests will tell us a lot more info. I am interested to see what they say. I would be surprised if it show any ammonia or nitrite. Maybe some nitrate.

pez payaso

this is absolutely amazing, it took me 6 months to get my 55g Fo tank going. i could only imagine taking on this kind of project. my absolute dream room. cant wait to see it started up again.

S

siptang

Your fish room and entertainment setup is awesome and let me tell you, that's something that I have been dreaming about doing.
It looks top notch and I envy you buddy.

jrlandsman

Thanks a lot, I have been planning and slowing building this for a long time. Three years later when I finally had the time its almost done, I cleaned out the tank last night did a decent size water change and have everything going. I need to go get another test kit tonight or tomorrow and test the water and see whats goign on.

jrlandsman

Ok guys I tested the water this weekend. Ammonia is 0 ph is 8.2 salinity level is good, nitrates are terrible around 120 plus ppm. I plan on doing a large water change in the next few days I also threw some chaeto in the sump from my lfs. Will that high of nitrate levels kill the chaeto? I was worried I just wasted $20. Also did all of the organisms in my live rock get killed as well? How can I get these going again?

S

siptang

Nope, chaeto actually kills nitrates and phosphates so you did the right thing.
And holy crap!!!! 20 bucks for chaeto??? I usually just give mine away..

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/344978/new-house-fish-room-build-145-gallon-setup/40#post_3494867
Nope, chaeto actually kills nitrates and phosphates so you did the right thing.
And holy crap!!!! 20 bucks for chaeto??? I usually just give mine away..
Hi...Actually it feeds on it. It won't remove the nitrates and phosphates until you remove the overgrowth called harvesting. Then when ther new stuff grows it feeds on more nitrates and phosphates and you remove that...on and on. Just like you get a false reading of 0 on tests when you have green hair algae, the same is true of any macroalgae. Unless you have fish that eat it, there is some really decorative beaitiful macros that you can put in the display tank. They all feed on PO4 and NO3, as you trim it to keep the overgrowth down...you export it out of your tank, mangroves does the same thing too.
I must agree...$20.00...wow that is a high price.