New in SW. 55 Gal Setup ... help is needed

chingchong

i don't really know but i m pretty sure calcium is high .. i added some supplements. each 3 water changes i made since.

montidanae

NEVER dose with anything you dont test, its not safe and can crash your tank,always test before you dose, this dosent apply to plankton though, even though you are adding it and its an Additive, your feeding the tank, not like they make a plankton test though

chingchong

alright here is the actual tank.
i think i have 20lbs of base/lace rock, 30lbs of LR from my LFS.
I run an AquaClear 200 with carbon, and a BakPak2 that barely pulls anything.
i ordered 20/25# of LR from swf.com (fiji premium pre-cured)
right now i have
2 clownfish
1 royal gramma
1 sleeper goby
and a cleanup crew.
my light is a 48in jebo 220W from ----. i have 2x 50/50 bulbs,
2x 10000K bulbs and 2x true actinic 03.
i don't know which combination to use
lights are setup as following:
[ ----------------- ] [ ----------------- ]
[ ----------------- ] [ ----------------- ]
i read that coraline algae favors actinic more than white light. therefore i am running the 2x 50/50 bulbs and 2x actinic ...
any recommendation from the expert?
also i have a hob fuge, but I don't know how to work the U-tube that came with it. plus, i am looking for an surface skimmer box to go around my bakpak 2r, which came with a mj1200.
help i don't know what to do next ! (haven't got the chance to check that book out).

dskidmore

Originally posted by chingchong
my light is a 48in jebo 220W from ----. i have 2x 50/50 bulbs,
2x 10000K bulbs and 2x true actinic 03.
i don't know which combination to use
also i have a hob fuge, but I don't know how to work the U-tube that came with it.
help i don't know what to do next ! (haven't got the chance to check that book out).

50/50 bulbs are already a mix of 10000K and actinic, I'd put a 10000K and an actinic on each side. Or if you want to experiment, put the 10000K and actinic on one side, the two 50/50s on the other side, and see which looks better and gives the best results from your corals.
U-tubes are simple, just have to fill them with water and they start siphoning. For troublesome U-tubes, stick a piece of airline into the top and suck out all the air to start your siphon.
Next: Sit down, relax, enjoy your fish, do some research/reading. I'm sure even if your home wasn't perfect, you wouldn't want someone else constantly messing with it. Knowlege and patience are your allies. When you're sure of the next step, then proceed slowly.

edwar050

what kind of coraline if that is green coraline or what is that green stuff on your rocks= I have it growing on mine as well, and what is the white stuff.

chingchong

i bought two of these nudibranches. ... one died apparently .. the other is even smaller than a penny ... what could have happened ??
either it shrunk or it got chopped off by something during lights off ...

edwar050

I guess just about anything could tear up a nudi . . . did it get caught in your pumps? I have heard thats the #1 casue of nudi loss. And you can't loose your nudi :nope:

chingchong

ahah. all i can tell you is that i got 2 quite big from swf.com ... i now have a midget

will post some other pictures later

edwar050

when did you order from saltwater fish? you got nudibranchs right? I was thinking about getting one or two as well from saltwaterfish what size are they?

chingchong

moving to new place, quitting hobby for a while.
selling the whole thing for $750 pickup only.
pm me for details... but will post something in the Classified.
I live in Cary/Morrisville in NC.

leona

Originally posted by chingchong
Well I don't intend to have coral really .... what I'd like to achieve is to have a stable SW tank... I just want to host clownfish ... would an anemone survive with such lights?
I also have a PC 110W from All Glass ... 9325K. If I happen to use it, what improvement will I get... and should I change the bulbs to 50/50 PC bulbs?
Thanks for the help.

You do not need an anemone to host clowns. It's just a house not the plumbing....:)