new lighting question

nurjrk

Bang Guy, you already commented on this, but I just want to make sure I order the right lights, thanks.
Getting ready to order new VHO retro. Going with 24in 3 x 75w with electronic ARO model 4L ballast. Just want to make sure I get the correct lights.
2 - URI 10,000K VHO
1 - URI SuperActinic VHO
= 225w
Does that sound right, or should it be the other way around?
Let me know what you think. It will be going over a 26g bow.
Thanks,
Jeff

bang guy

Do you like a little blue or do your prefer white? If you like blue then sub some Actinic Whites for the Aquasuns. Mount the Actinic in front for optimal flourescence of your corals.

nurjrk

Bang, I like a little more white, but whatever is best for the corals is what I want. My choices in bulbs are: URI Actinic White 50/50, URI Aquasun 10,000K, and URI Super Actinic. Which combo would be best? They also have coralife bulbs but isn't URI better?
Thanks,
Jeff

bang guy

The coral really don't care what color, just how much and the intensity of the light.
I agree with a poster on your other thread. I think you'll be happy with one of each from URI. Skip the Coralife bulb IMO.

nurjrk

Last time I promise, so your saying to get one of each of the three? Or Two of the 10,000 and one of the Super Actinic.
Thanks again,
Jeff

nurjrk

OOPS just saw the other thread. One of the 50/50, one of the Aquasun, and one of the Super Actinic.
Thanks for all your help,
Jeff

nm reef

Myself I like the look of super actinics combined with 10K's...but the choice is up to you. Depends on how you want your lighting to appear to you. The color spectrum that you see has little bearing/effect on the corals. I prefer my lighting to be predominately white...and I like a 1/2 hr of actinic before the 10K's come on along with 1/2 hr of actinic after the 10K's go off...sort of a dawn/dusk effect that appeals to my eye more than benefits the reef in any way. During the photo period when all actinics and 10K's are on the lighting is a chrisp clear white with just a slight tinge of blue.What actually matters to the corals is the total intensity and spectrum of lighting available and not the actual color. I run 4x65 watts of 10K PC's along with 2x110 watts of URI super actinic VHO's...:cool:

nurjrk

Which bulb is the more white, the aquasun 10,000K or the Actinic White 50/50? The blue is the Super Actinic correct?
Thanks,
Jeff