New Lights.

fishtails

Recently switched from PC to VHO. I ran 130W of PC previously and made a small upgrade to 150W. The coloration is awesome. More intense and corals coloration is nice.
Here's a comparison shot.

reef_magic

why is everything closed up? a 20 watt change shouldnt casue that:thinking:
is that an acrylic tank? loks like there are some scratches
i like the GSp in the 1st photo:D

seschaefer

I was told by many different people on here not to get VHO for a nano and was talked into PC. I am not disappointed with the looks of my tank, but was wondering if i could have gotten the VHO. I have a 20 gallon tank.

Whoever told you not to get VHO was wrong.
I have a 20 gallon tank and I have 2x75w VHO. I am very pleased with the set up.

aggie05

Hey Fishtails, what bulb combo are you running. I just made the same switch in my 20 long and am using a URI actinic, and a URI 50/50

fishtails

Running the same as you Aggie05.
Also, I saw in one of your threads you were planning on a 10k and actinic. From what I've heard the 10k is pinkish and most recommend a combo of 50/50 and 03.
The mixture actually makes a pink color which I don't like, but other than that it's a good setup.

mina_40

Amazing what a difference the lighting makes. I have been debating pc and vho...seeing yours makes me think that pc is not the better option. Anyways, very nice!

sagxman

I'd like to add a question to this thread since I don't know very much about VHO's. I have a a fairly nice PC unit right now. Do VHO's require special hoods or ballasts or is it just a differnt type of bulb that I could use with my current CSL hood?

aggie05

Originally posted by SaGxMAN
I'd like to add a question to this thread since I don't know very much about VHO's. I have a a fairly nice PC unit right now. Do VHO's require special hoods or ballasts or is it just a differnt type of bulb that I could use with my current CSL hood?

You need a VHO ballast and new bulbs to make it work. I just bought a new ballast and VHOs and have put them in my CSL PC hood after taking out all of the PC stuff.

sagxman

I just bought a new ballast and VHOs and have put them in my CSL PC hood after taking out all of the PC stuff.
That's what I thought. Could you tell me a little more about the specs of your old hood and your new hood and what size aquarium you have it on? Thanks.

fishtails

Most VHO ballast can also run PC and NO bulbs. I'd suggest looking into either IceCap or Workhorse ballast if you want to run VHO. The CSL hood will not run the VHO bulbs.