New member question!! Queen Conch.

ncsc117

Hi everyone!!
I was looking at www.saltwaterfish.com.And I was particulary intrested in the Queen Conch.They said it will come 1 inch, how big will it get in a 55 gallon tank. Has any one kept a Queen Conch, how did you like it. Is it a great algae grazer.What is the temperment.

birdy

Hello and Welcome!!

I believe queen conch's get very large, and need a lot of sand space, something that a 55gal is not going to have. The aquacultured fighting conch's are a great alternative. very good for your sandbed.

reefnut

Second the fighting conch... very good addition IMO. Only get one though. They to can get pretty big, but not near as big as a queen.
and Welcome :cheer:

ncsc117

Thanks Alot!!!
Thanks for the info.I will probaly get a Fighting Conch.They seem cool.Is there anything I wiil have to know about them.
:happy:

reefnoob

conch eats diatoms off sand, I got one when my tank was just a couple of weeks old and this thing is huge now and doing very well.

dicemanj

On this website it says the fighting conch gets very large and should not be in a tank less than 100 gal. The queen conch sounds like the smaller one.
I am going to order one for my 55, I wanted to make sure that in fact the fighting conch is the smaller of the two?

reefnut

A queen conch shell can be as long as 12 inches and weigh as much as five pounds. A fighting conch get around 4-5 inches from the info I have found.

birdy

You want to get the aquacultured fighting conch, I don't think they are available yet, but they are the small ones, I think it may be a different species, because the aquacultured ones do not get that big.

arjayl

I have a queen in my 55. I bought it from SF.com a few years ago. Its grown a bit....maybe a half an inch....never really see it unless I look in the tank around 4am. I actually forgot I had it until a couple months ago. I said WHATS THAT!! :scared:
Looked it up and said Oh Yeah forgot about him...I mean her
In the 2 1/2 years I have had him, it hasn't grown that big
JMO

S

sebae0

queens get to big for a 55 ask bang guy to show you a pic of his or do search for a thread that has the pic of it.

arjayl

:scared:
Well...looks like I have my reason to upgrade to a larger tank
:cheer:
How long did it take for that queen to get that big?

arjayl

I'm thinking that I am actually looking at something different. The shell of mine doesn't have the points like Bangs...its more rounded. Also the trunk (snout?) has white stripes on it? I will try to get a pic to see what the experts think it is.:notsure:

arjayl

When I lookk at pictures of a fighting conch, the pictures show a similar shell structure to the queen. That is whats leading me to beleive its something else? I will try to post a pic as soon as can find him. With looking at the pics on SWF.com the shell has the structure of a Cowrie, but the shell is dull and somewhat rough.
It deffinetely has a trunk with white stripes and I assume it buries itself because I can never find it except on a few odd occasions very very early in the morning?
Thanks