New Oceanic Nano Protein Skimmer

sazarac

I have a Visi-Therm stealth 100w as well. I also removed the stock filter (too expensive to keep up with). I originally put the heater in the first chamber as well. I cut through the grating so it fit all the way in there. I believe both the skimmer and the stealth WOULD fit in the first chamber, but I'm not sure what impact it would have on the water flow. I've moved the heater (reluctantly) into the display tank. It wouldn't fit in the second chamber (I'd removed the bioballs and replaced them with chemi-pure and filter floss) no matter how I positioned it.
The Oceanic skimmer was $60 I think. I've only seen it for sale at one shop though, so I don't know if that is the normal sticker price.
I can put the heater back in the first chamber with the skimmer and see if it effects the water flow any. I'll give you an update later.
Saz
Originally Posted by KAT74
Wow, thanks for the help. I'll keep watching your thread and check for updates, and if all goes well, I'll go ahead and get one too!
So, you just put it in the first chamber? I removed the stock filter cartridge and in my first chamber, I have my heater and a bag of Purigen. Will these have to be removed if I get the skimmer? Because if it does, I don't know where I will put my heater... I certainly don't want it in the display.

K

kat74

Originally Posted by sazarac
I can put the heater back in the first chamber with the skimmer and see if it effects the water flow any. I'll give you an update later.
Saz
Please do. I would love to know if this would work!

sazarac

I stuck the heater back in there along with the skimmer and I'm not noticing any impedance to the water flow. All seems fine. If I notice any changes I'll be sure to post.
Please do. I would love to know if this would work!

I got mine from a store in Houston called Aquarium World. I was told by the salesperson they'd just come in two weeks ago (I got it the day after Thanksgiving). They hadn't yet been priced. I haven't seen them anywhere else. Could your LFS order one for you?
Originally Posted by PerfectDark

Who sells these? I Cant find them anywhere

K

kat74

I stuck the heater back in there along with the skimmer and I'm not noticing any impedance to the water flow. All seems fine. If I notice any changes I'll be sure to post.
Just what I wanted to hear!~

My LFS has them on order and said that they are coming in with their next shipment, so I should have mine soon!~

One other question... maybe two...

Is this thing easy to install and understand?
and...
how often do you have to empty it?

K

kat74

Who sells these? I Cant find them anywhere

I asked my LFS about them and asked if they could order them, and I was told that they already had an order in for their next shipment! Maybe your LFS can order you one?

sazarac

It made me happy too! I hated having the heater in the display area. It DOES disappear, EXCEPT for that red knob! ;)
It's super easy to install, the only problem I had were the instructions for the bubble level (the written instructions are minimal), when I did as written, I got nothing but a little condensation. But MaTT explained how he had his setup and that did the trick. Thanks again MaTT!!!

I empty mine every other day, it isn't full by then, but I do it anyway. Right now I get a nice green tea colored skim mate. And it does seem to have helped the algae on the glass. You won't have any problems setting it up.
Saz
Just what I wanted to hear!~

My LFS has them on order and said that they are coming in with their next shipment, so I should have mine soon!~

One other question... maybe two...

Is this thing easy to install and understand?
and...
how often do you have to empty it?

matt b

I asked my LFS about them and asked if they could order them, and I was told that they already had an order in for their next shipment! Maybe your LFS can order you one?

ya all u do is put it in the tank and plug it in and then adjust the air so the bubbles are right at/above the top of the skimmer

K

kat74

It made me happy too! I hated having the heater in the display area. It DOES disappear, EXCEPT for that red knob! ;)
It's super easy to install, the only problem I had were the instructions for the bubble level (the written instructions are minimal), when I did as written, I got nothing but a little condensation. But MaTT explained how he had his setup and that did the trick. Thanks again MaTT!!!

I empty mine every other day, it isn't full by then, but I do it anyway. Right now I get a nice green tea colored skim mate. And it does seem to have helped the algae on the glass. You won't have any problems setting it up.
Saz
Thanks so much for the help! You and MaTT!

One thing I didn't ask. In my first chamber, the false floor/bottom is still intact. Do I need to take out that false floor/bottom to fit the skimmer in there?

K

kat74

Originally Posted by MaTT B
u wont need to for the skimmer but maybe for the heater
Thanks so much, MaTT!~

sazarac

Definitely NOT for the skimmer! It's made to fit in the first chamber with no modifications.
As for the heater, I wanted to make sure it was completely submerged. And the only way to get that particular brand and size of heater to fit completely in the first chamber submerged was to cut a small hole in the grating. I used a small triangular shaped file, as my tank is already setup and I wasn't willing to drain any water to use a dremel. It wasn't difficult, just awkward. There MAY be easier ways of doing it though!
Saz
Thanks so much for the help! You and MaTT!

One thing I didn't ask. In my first chamber, the false floor/bottom is still intact. Do I need to take out that false floor/bottom to fit the skimmer in there?

K

kat74

Thanks for the info!

Hmmmm.... I'm gonna be putting our maintenance guy to work once he gets here on a Friday! On his agenda??
1) Installing my skimmer.
2) Cut a small section of the grate out to allow for my 100w stealth to be fully submerged.

john_waggs

I mounted my heater in the second chamber at an almost horizontal level. The heater was too long to fit completely sideways. I placed the heater below my live rock rubble and it seems to be working fine.
What is the best type of filter to use on the 29 gal biocube if you don't use the standard stock filter that WON't reduce my water flow?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by john_waggs
I mounted my heater in the second chamber at an almost horizontal level. The heater was too long to fit completely sideways. I placed the heater below my live rock rubble and it seems to be working fine.
What is the best type of filter to use on the 29 gal biocube if you don't use the standard stock filter that WON't reduce my water flow?

What I did was.... in the middle chamber of the cube about 2/3 down there is another grate type shelf that the bioballs would essentially sit on. You can eaisily remove it, take it out. Now take the top grate that covers the 3rd chamber and cut a piece of filter floss slightly smaller than it. Take the bottom grate and sandwich the filter floss between the 2. Get small rubber bands and hold the 2 pieces of plastic together. Now put it back on top of the 3rd chamber. Every so often remove the piece and the rubber bands and either rinse or replace the floss. But thats what I do to filter the solid particulates out of my system. I also run carbon in my return chamber for 2 weeks on and 1 week off. Hope this helps.

B

bella127

KAT all you have to do is push down on the false floor in the chamber , very little pressure to be applied. I also suggest the cpr sr3 skimmer IMO .More expensive but well worth the money , save you the headache.

nano reefer

lucky, i wish i had one. I would get one, but my tank is running fine, and i dont think it would be worth the extra money.

john_waggs

What I did was.... in the middle chamber of the cube about 2/3 down there is another grate type shelf that the bioballs would essentially sit on. You can eaisily remove it, take it out. Now take the top grate that covers the 3rd chamber and cut a piece of filter floss slightly smaller than it. Take the bottom grate and sandwich the filter floss between the 2. Get small rubber bands and hold the 2 pieces of plastic together. Now put it back on top of the 3rd chamber. Every so often remove the piece and the rubber bands and either rinse or replace the floss. But thats what I do to filter the solid particulates out of my system. I also run carbon in my return chamber for 2 weeks on and 1 week off. Hope this helps.
I'm not following you on the "top grate" of the 3rd chamber. Could you clarify a little bit more so I can understand what you're trying to tell me? Thanks for you help.

I just added my new skimmer this afternoon, it was very easy to install and to adjust the air flow. I already have about a quarter cup of greenish brown junk. It seems to working great in my 29 biocube, I will let you know more as I find out more.