New ORA Maxima

renogaw

ok... i've removed the vertimid snails off the mantle, and the clam opened up very very nicely.
the problems i'm having though are water flow and sand issues.
If i put the clam in a relativelly calm area of the tank, my pistol shrimp has taken upon itself to bury the clam every opportunity it can.
or... i gotta put it in a higher flow area and it gets knocked over...
can they go on rocks to avoid this issue?

candycane

Is the shrimp trying to relocate it's cave to where the clam is? Or is the clam just near the shrimps' den? I have NEVER seen a pistol shrimp mess with any Tridacna regardless of size; and that is for the most part against everything that THAT specific shrimp SHOULD be doing. If I ever put them in the same tank I make sure to have a suitable mate for the shrimp so that the shrimp is kept busy 99% of the time (fish). They just shovel, don't really lift too much.

renogaw

the shrimp actually moved it's tunnel to right next to the clam. where that hole is that the shrimp is showing through had been sand right up to the rock.
now... no matter where i put the clam the shrimp burrows to it and throws the sand over the clam. i've put the clam on a shell in the rock as suggested somewhere, but it's not opening 100%... so i don't know what to do now

candycane

The foot is not really seen that often. Sometimes a clam may stick it out of it's incurrent siphon to clean the "webbing" on it's mouth; but if it is moving around, chances are it is using it's foot to do it. Sounds like the shrimp might be trying to host the clam as it would most likely do with a fish. The two options are most likely either buy a goby for the shrimp to reside with, or get rid of the shrimp if it continues to cover up the clam.

renogaw

i've tried twice to pare up the shrimp with a goby, and they just must not be the right combo.
i've put the clam on a shell in my rock work... today, it wasn't open all the way. i'm going to put it back on the sand and see if it opens all the way.

jerth6932

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2948880
sorry for changing the topic. do u think a pistol will get along with/or at least be able to defend itself against a cbs?
BET AGINST THE CBS!!!! I had that como in my tank... Heard CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK..... Like 20 times in a row... walked over to my tank to see my CBS missing 2 legs and all his pichers!! If the CBS is stupid then he will try the rounds... but he will learn! My pistol when I got rid of him was bordering on 3 3/4 inches to almost 4inches... Got him at 1 1/2 inch, 2 years later he was huge!!!

candycane

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2969018
i've tried twice to pare up the shrimp with a goby, and they just must not be the right combo.
i've put the clam on a shell in my rock work... today, it wasn't open all the way. i'm going to put it back on the sand and see if it opens all the way.
Chances are that if the thing keeps getting covered up, it's having some sort of issue from basically "breathing" sand. As you most likely know; the gills are right inside the incurrent siphon, then the stomach, digestive organs, heart, blah blah blah.........so it is probably on the defensive until the stuff it inhaled, passes. It's most likely going to need a few days of not being messed with AT ALL. By that I mean, it probably shouldn't be fed either. It may just need some time to expell whatever it has inhaled.

spunky

do you know if an emerald crab will mess with the clams, the reason i ask is i am supposed to be getting a maxima 2-3" one tomorrow and i have a realy big emerald in there and i have seen him eat meat, matter of fact when i give my scoylimia a piece of silver side i have to put another piece near the crabs hangout so he will not steal the piece from the coral.

candycane

Depends on what gendure it is. Males and females will usually both do it once they pass a certain size, but the females are MUCH less likely too. Don't get pinched if you want to try to find out, but the stomach will either have a long skinny line on it, or be oval and stripped. The oval ones are the females.