new orange monti cap.

nm reef

Hey...I've got one myself....it was high on my list of desired additions and I was very pleased to finally place one in my reef. I also added a sweet little sort of olive greenish colored one recently...its now looking a bit blue/purple with a distinctive yellowish edge.
Great addition ... yours looks to be in great condition.

nm reef

This is the newest addition...just starting to change color a bit...this pic doesn't show true coloration but gives a general idea of the shape...

nas19320

Very cool. Monti Caps are great additions and quick growers but give them room. Mine has been fragged a few times and it still is getting a little too big for my 55.

tru conch

thanks for the comments.
i have one monti cap already, its a brown with a slight purple rim. its grown ALOT since i first got it as a frag (about the size of a quarter). it has survived a few moves and hurricanes (and it did partly bleach out too) and now is at least 6-7 in in diameter.
i cant wait for the orange to grow out some! now i just need to find a purple monti cap...
the pic is a little washed out and you cant see the purple rim, but its there.

E

eaglefan

What kind of lighting should monti caps be kept under? My LFS told me that they would be ok under vho (my mh's is be fixed)

rickyh24

yes i am also looking into getting lighting for my 50 so i can get stuff like this. could you recommend a setup? i would like to buy a canopy then get something installed. is this kind of what you have?? well any help is greatly apprecitated. my tank is 36 inches wide 15 deep.

shawnts106

I just bought a Monti Cap today too.. but its far smaller than any of yours... just a 2 inch frag! thats all... but I may be getting a nicer 3 1/2 inch frag that is got some nice shape to it!

tru conch

eaglefan-its my understanding that monit caps will be ok under vhos or pcs. they dont get the same growth as metal halides (side note, bummer about TO, but the eagles still have a good chance)
ricky, if you are serious about doing montis or any sps then look into metal halide lights. i personally like having metal halide bulbs (between 10,000k to 14, 000k) as my "white lights" and vhos as actinics. with your tank only being 15 in deep then either 150 or 250 wt HQIs or 175 or 250 wt mogul sockets would be awesome, with 2 36 in vho bulbs. hth, but look in the equip forum or do some searches. lots of folks as about lighting and there are many opinons about it. again, if you want sps corals and clams, get the MH bulbs.
shawnts- dude dont worry, your frag will grow out before you know it, especially with high kalk/alk and mh. good luck with them
again thanks for the comments!

rickyh24

ricky, if you are serious about doing montis or any sps then look into metal halide lights. i personally like having metal halide bulbs (between 10,000k to 14, 000k) as my "white lights" and vhos as actinics. with your tank only being 15 in deep then either 150 or 250 wt HQIs or 175 or 250 wt mogul sockets would be awesome, with 2 36 in vho bulbs. hth, but look in the equip forum or do some searches. lots of folks as about lighting and there are many opinons about it. again, if you want sps corals and clams, get the MH bulbs.
again thanks for the comments!
[/B]
hey thanks for your reply. You dont happen to know any sites on the internet where i can get a top with the proper lighting already in it do you. Also I have a double strip right now is that worth incorporating in any way?? i also have 3 cats so without a glass top i think a lot of hair would get into it. any reccomendations for this?

wax32

i also have 3 cats so without a glass top i think a lot of hair would get into it. any reccomendations for this?
I have been pondering this problem the last couple days. I was planning on going with an egg-crate style top, but my wife mentioned our cats and hair. I'd be interested in hearing how this works for others that have cats! :notsure:

E

eaglefan

If you build your own canopy it will keep the hair out I also have a cat and dog and have no issues, just extend the top to dit flush with the back wall.

rickyh24

Originally posted by eaglefan
If you build your own canopy it will keep the hair out I also have a cat and dog and have no issues, just extend the top to dit flush with the back wall.

you mean by cutting the glass or building a wooden one that you can mount the lights on? I wish i could find a glass top with squares wholes cut out of it for mine.

E

eaglefan

You would build a wooden one and then you could take off the glass. One of the downsides with keeping the glass on top is the salt build up. You are always having to clean them.

rickyh24

yes i am always cleaning it im actually buying a brand new one every 6 months or so. When i clean it there is a good amount of cat hair on it to thats why im worried. I would like to get my good ligthing first then egt a canopy. is this possible?

E

eaglefan

I bought a vho retro kit then built my first canopy. It is kind of a hack job. Then I bought mh retro kit so I am in the process of building a better canopy. Here is a couple of pics of the hack job lol

E

eaglefan

I am just now getting over a bad hair algae experience. So if you can excuse the green on the back of the tank and all the clutter on the top.