New Orange Sun Coral To Shy?

trikonreef

I just picked up a new Orange Sun Coral with 30-40 polyps on it and not one of 'em are opening up even a little bit. I have yet to see one single arm searching for food. Is this normal? Can someone give me any pointers or info on past experiences careing for this?
I've had it for two days, my parameters are golden, and it's in medium light and flow.

meowzer

Originally Posted by trikonreef
http:///forum/post/3022230
I just picked up a new Orange Sun Coral with 30-40 polyps on it and not one of 'em are opening up even a little bit. I have yet to see one single arm searching for food. Is this normal? Can someone give me any pointers or info on past experiences careing for this?
I've had it for two days, my parameters are golden, and it's in medium light and flow.
I don't know anything about Sun Corals, BUT I do know that A LOT of corals need time to adjust...give it a few days, and when it opens...I'd like to see a pic

coastie81

Originally Posted by trikonreef
http:///forum/post/3022230
first of all sun corals are non photosyntheic or how ever you spell it. They will take about a week till they open and they only open at night and that is when they will seach for food. I have orange ones and yellow ones. I feed them mysis shrimp and cyclopeeze. keep them well fed. remember they open at night and need to be kept under a ledge in your live rock if you have bright lights.
Some people have been able to get hem to open during the day but I have not had luck with that. just my .02

trikonreef

Nice pic! Thanks for the post.
Mine look exactly like your pic. But I've got huge Barnicle(?) living in the center of the polyps and it pops out a little hand like fan and grabs at the water. It's kinda cute. I'll post some pics sooner 'er later.
BTW, Where did you get your coral at?

trikonreef

I waited about 5 minutes after lights out to put food around the closed polyps and after 10 minutes all heads were open waiting to be fed. I feel alot better about the whole deal now and I'll bet the coral does too. Thanks fer all of you who posted.
I'm still waiting for a good enough pic to post. Hopefuly I can get it tonight.

trikonreef

If you look close you can Barnicle in the middle of all the polyps. Again these aren't the best pics but it's all I can do for now and you get the idea.

reefforbrains

Different folks have had mixed results with long term care since they seem to require so much attention.
I have always had luck with cyclopes and they open right up.