New Pics of Aquascape, 72 Gal Bowfront

lcaldwell85

Okay, it's been awhile since I've posted to the forum, so on my lunch break I took several photos of my new aquascape. Please ignore the filthy sandbed, I intend to clean it very shortly and would have waited, but no time like the present... and I'm sure you've all seen your share of dirty sand beds, especially when you have crushed coral like I do. The new items were picked up from a local fish store and hadn't even been marked for sale yet. The sales rep told me I could bleach the items to return them to a bone white state, but I actually thought the green color added texture depth to the items and simply soaked them in a start right mixture before adding them to the tank.

Though I wasn't able to catch her in any of my shots, my dottyback loves swimming through all the crevaces.

lcaldwell85

And night pictures of the aquascape... Sorry for the fuzzy camera, it's not the best....
And before I get blasted for the Trigger I -know- he needs to be in a larger tank. I'm in the process of setting up a 120, and he was a steal at my local fish store. The tank they had him in was much smaller, and he'd been there for weeks, much crueler than my 72.. No he's not agressive towards my smaller fish, and no he doesn't nip at the star polyps. Any signs of agression toward the little guys, and I'll pop them into the QT until I get the 120 set up. He's a Pink Tail, native to Hawaii, and MUCH less agressive than your typical triggerfish.

Any way, there's the shots! What do you guys think?

lcaldwell85

Thanks Sweatervest! I saw the items had been pulled from a used tank my local guy had purchased, and they were simply gathering dust. I got them for a total steal and think they look good. The full lighting pictures look almost radioactive green, but it's really not that bright. The camera seemed to exaggerate the color...... I wanted the smaller fish to feel safer while the Trigger is in the tank, with plenty of places to hide etc... and also wanted to go for a kind of rocky, cavernous, ocean scene...

slice

Those are interesting shapes, they will look great once covered with coralline. Great platforms for future coral!
That dead coral skeleton on the right side will be a detritus magnet (been there, done that, won't do it again).

lcaldwell85

1guyDude, No, it's not all rock. The majority of the live rock is to the right and left of the units. I assume they're made out of some sort of resin, they're decorative.
Slice, shoot..... I never even thought of that. Of course, all the tiny hiding spots..... I've been noticing a build up of algae on those pieces moreso than others. I reaimed my powerhead to hopefully take care of it... Hm... any suggestions on what to do with it besides tossing it? LOL.

slice

All I can tell you is that I had some dead coral skeleton in my tank for a short while and will never do it again.
It will always be that place where detritus/HA/cyano/whatever will build up.

lcaldwell85

Drat. And it looks so pretty. But I think you've inadvertantly pointed out the culprit in my notoriously high nitrates...

1guydude

??? Most "LR" is dead coral skeleton...
U should move ur phs up towards the top though imo... itll get better oxygen and stack all ur rock at a slant to one side so it looks like a slope.. these are just my suggestions!
I like those couple pieces though and they will be great for putting coral on!

lcaldwell85

I think what he meant by the dead coral skeleton comment was the one on the right side of the tank, with the distinctly porcupine look. All those little crags and dents in it probably allow for copious amounts of build up. I have noticed that a lot more algae cling to those pieces, and unless I keep my powerhead aimed at it it builds up quick. Plus, since I put them in I've noticed my nitrates have been on the climb. I think that the shape of it is causing it to house rotting food, fish debris, etc..... I never even thought of that before Slice mentioned it... Never struck me as a culprit...

1guydude

i think u just need more flow! The dead acro piece is kool imo and can be used to display corals! Just point it up like a spire or a pinacle. U can glue stuff down in all the lil holes!
HTHs and just my pinion of course!
:)