new pics of my 120g

jasurf21

That is amazing!! A couple questions please!
1. What is the name of the black striped blue fish in the picture with the clown?
B. How did you get the purple glow stuff on the inside walls of the tank? What is that?
Thanks!!

E

eric b 125

That purple glow stuff on the rocks and the glass is coralline algae. It will grow in your tank if the water chemistry and lighting are correct. If you put a small piece of live rock with coralline on it into your tank it will take off. It grew like crazy in my tank but now that I have focused on SPS I think that the corals are out-competing the algae for calcium because it hasn't been growing anymore.
There is a product called Purple Up that will speed the growth of coralline as well. Some people say that it's junk but I've used it and it worked well for me. I might buy another bottle to boost the growth on my rocks b/c I'm sick of having white rocks mixed in with rocks that do have coralline on them. The great thing about Purple Up is that it uses calcium gluconate which will feed the coralline but isn't the type of calcium that corals use so it feeds the algae and won't be used up by the reef building corals.

E

eric b 125

How rude of me. IBEW41, your tank is beautiful. Do you have any more macro shots of your corals?

E

eric b 125

Oh, and jasurf21, I'm pretty sure that fish is a male leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon meleagris). Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

jasurf21

Thanks for all the info Eric. I am currently a freshwater discus guy, doing my research for a future Saltwater tank

ibew41

the fish with the black stripe is a sailfin tang they are great in getting rid of bubble algae

ibew41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B 125 http:///t/390962/new-pics-of-my-120g#post_3465532
Oh, and jasurf21, I'm pretty sure that fish is a male leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon meleagris). Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
potters wrasse really close to the male leopard wrasse is the one I think you are looking at thanks for the compliment on the tank

mr. limpid

Great looking tank, good job

Need details, type of filtration; how long its been set up; do you dose and with what; etc.
Love the first shot, I had yellow brain once, was my favorite. Now its skeleton is in my bowl of shame.