NEW! poisonous??

purfectriot

I have recently got a 55 gallon saltwater tank...i know nothing about it. I inherited it from my sister in law...I have a nudibranch that i thought was super cool so i bought it...Now someone is telling me that if he dies in my tank it will kill EVERYTHING in there...is this true? anyone have any advice on these sweet creatures? I just bought another purple one today i also have a clown fish, blood shrimp, dams and hermit crabs. I dont know if i should take the black and white nudibranch out before he dies...im really confused PLEASE HELP! thanks!

M

markeo99

most nudi's are poisonous the more colorful the more poisonous usually

paintballer768

I would be very careful keeping him. In nature, the more colorful they are, it serves as a warning to predators. Most nudis have very specialized diets as well. I would try to remove them, IMHO, but if you cannot, keep a large amount of water on hand. In case they do die, and your fish start showing signs of it, a large water change may help remove some of it and save the tank.
Good luck purfectriot

nm reef

...a good rule of thumb is if you don't know the risks/requirements/diet of a species don't add it to your tank. Nudibranchs can be difficult to keep...most have specific diets...and they can pollute the system if stressed or if they perish.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by NM reef
http:///forum/post/2831234

...a good rule of thumb is if you don't know the risks/requirements/diet of a species don't add it to your tank. Nudibranchs can be difficult to keep...most have specific diets...and they can pollute the system if stressed or if they perish.

Not just nudibranches too, but sea apples and sea cucumbers are notorious, and many soft inverts that are brightly colored.

purfectriot

Thanks everyone for your input i think i might take them out even though i love them! I just dont want everything else to die...i dont have much in there ive only had the tank three weeks but still id hate to start over! Thanks!

bang guy

Nudibranch toxins are not nearly as lethal as their legend. The specialized feeding habits of Nudibranch make them a poor choice for a reef tank though.