New Predator Tank

We are presently cycling our new predator tank which is only 1 week old now with damsels, once the tank has matured & we remove the damsels we plan to have 1 green wolf eel, 1 niger trigger, 1 huma trigger, & 1 puffer (porcipine or dog face) haven't decided yet, Now we are also thinking about adding a walking bat fish as well, How well do you think these different spieces will get along ? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You, John & Sherri

Thanks I knew I was forgetting to mention something, Its a 29 gal., I know that some of them will outgrow it in time but we are looking to purchase a 125 gal. in the very near future, Also the wolf eel & trigger are already housed together if that matters ? We don't want to overcrowd them & they are/will be small in size at the start. thx

ca161406

i wouldnt keep any of those fish in a 29. except maybe for qt.
also the batfish needs a really tall tank or it will rub its fins on the sand and get infections

jp30338

That tank is MUCH too small, even while the fish are smaller... The huma trigger will most likely nip at the puffer. I had to get rid of mine as it took out my porc. puffers tail

Also, not a good idea to cycle your tank with damsels either... Good luck with getting them out!

el guapo

I know its not what you want to hear but your tank is way to small for your list . Even a 125 would be too small for 2 triggers and a puffer .
I would also strongly advise against the bat fish in an aggressive predator tank . They just aren't competitive enough to be able to eat with out the other fish causing problems . You might also run into problems with the triggers nipping at the fins of the batfish . I too have a fondness for the bat fish but have shied away do to their peaceful nature .

kjr_trig

Sorry but you really need to re-examine your list. Know its not what you want to hear, but the fish on your list need big tank in the short and long term.

R

rcreations

I personally think a 125 is just fine for a huma and a niger, plus a puffer and even an eel. I would go with a dogface puffer because they don't get as big. Before I set up my 150, I had a huma and a niger in a 65gal and they were perfectly fine. Of course, the bigger the better. But 125 is just fine.
But I'm afraid a 29 is just too small for these fish. Might be ok to house them in one for a month until you set up the 125, but any longer and you'll start having problems.

Thanks we are rethinking the list-right now the eel and trigger are housed together at lfs in a 29 gal tank with lots of rock they have been together for a month now before that another eel was house in that same tank. I think we will just have the eel and trigger in that tank and wait to get our bigger tank one day. We currently have three tanks 47gal, 20 gal,and 29 gal also have another 20gal that I plan to set up in a few weeks. We currently have a white spot puffer that we have had to move three times because he keeps nipping fins and ate one rose urchant and then nipped at my bulb anemone. He also use to pull my starfish off the side of the glass. but We love him and put him in time out alot. But one of the funniest fish we own.

jeanheckle

Do you realize how cruel it is to cycle a tank with damsels. The ammonia burns their gills.
Don’t Cycle with Damsels
While damsels make excellent beginner fish, they should not be used (as they once frequently were) for cycling a new tank. Cycling a tank refers to the necessary first step in any saltwater aquarium set-up of starting the nitrogen cycle. During this period, levels of ammonia and nitrite reach toxic levels. While many damsels may survive the cycling process, there is little justification for this blatant torture of a living creature. There are better ways to cycle—‘nuff said.
I don't mean to sound cruel but I think you are moving way too fast. The reason you are having so many problems is because of how fast you are moving.

We were told from lfs that tank wont cycle without fish? But tank was set up for two weeks before any fish were added and water tested ok before any fish were added. Why would lfs tell me that i need to add fish to cycle tank? How are you suggesting this to happen

jeanheckle

Originally Posted by John & Sherri
http:///forum/post/2773204
We were told from lfs that tank wont cycle without fish? But tank was set up for two weeks before any fish were added and water tested ok before any fish were added. Why would lfs tell me that i need to add fish to cycle tank? How are you suggesting this to happen
All you do is add a shrimp from the grocery store, it starts to decay which starts the ammonia cycle and everything follows. No disrespect but the LFS you are going to is giving you horrible advice. Do you have any other options for a store?

jerryatrick

I am now convinced that your LFS is laughing and counting your money as you walk out the door. Do yourself a solid and follow the advice from this site. Some of the advice will be extreme but you will ensure yourself a healthy tank.

whitey

Originally Posted by John & Sherri
http:///forum/post/2773204
Why would lfs tell me that i need to add fish to cycle tank?
Because they're ignorant jerks.
Because you gave them money for the fish.
Because they don't sell raw shrimp.
Pick any of the above.
Please educate yourself a bit more before continuing the hobby. This site is a good place to start, but you need to start like all of us had to, with education and patience. Most LFS's are bad places to gain knowledge of this hobby. If everyone did it the right way, it would be difficult for them to stay in business. Their profit comes from anxious, gullible customers.
I'm afraid to ask what you have in your other tanks.

prime311

Sorry to say, a Trigger and Green Wolf Eel(technically a Blenny, not really an Eel) is too much for a 29 even in the short term. You need much smaller fish if you want to keep them in a tank for any decent length of time(6 months+) without risking serious problems.

R

rcreations

LFS sells fish. If they sell you damsels to cycle your tank, they make money. If you simply buy a raw shrimp from the grocery store, your LFS makes no money. That's why they told you to do that.
They'll also tell you that you can put tangs, triggers, eels, all sorts of things in your 29gal tank. This is because they want to make money. They make money once when you buy the fish and again when the fish die and you buy more of them. The more times your fish die and the more you buy from them, the more money they make. Sad but a lot of LFS are like that.

sepulatian

First, welcome to the hobby! These guys are all correct John and Sherri. It is very important to research the needs of the fish that you plan to keep. This site has excellent advice. The best part, for you, is that we are not trying to sell you anything. We don't make money off of your mistakes, frustrations, and the lives of your fish. You really cannot put predators in a 29 gallon tank. The tank just does not have the room for territories, dilution, and living space. You can certainly get a few smaller fish though. What other kinds of fish are you interested in?

srfisher17

Its sad; but I can remember when a lfs was a great source of info and run by true hobbiests. I think they have been made obsolete by the internet now and I consider them to be just a convince store where I can get some little thing I need in a hurry. (I know there a few exceptions) BTW, the batfish you mentioned sounds like the curious little bottom dweller (maybe Ogcocephalus darwini), not one of the more common tall species (teira, Orbiculate,etc) Batfish; correct?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to agree with what fellow hobbyists are saying here. Careful consideration needs to be exercised when planning for your aquariums.
You should do considerable research before setting up a tank, and that includes deciding what will be in that tank. Otherwise, you will quickly have a disastrous experience.
If you haven't already purchased Robert Fenner's, "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist", I would highly recommend that you do so. Its an excellent resource for beginners, very informative, and entertaining. Well worth having.

guzman825

give him a break people. and what the othe people r saying is right, that is WAY too small for those fish. im sure u have heard this alot.