New Sailfin

psusocr1

sailfins also get light and dark in color when they get scared or feel threatned( as you can see in my pictures).. mine used to get really dark when i cleaned my tank cause he was very upset with me being in his territory..
nice pics everyone!! he was a big boy!!

stdreb27

when I get home mine is dark, he eats then he is happy again. My puffer actually will spit water when he wants food, I walked into my room last night about 3 hours later than I normally feed, he spit water and hit me in the face, then continued till I fed him. I guess he has me trained. It totally caught me by suprise. It was funny.

kevin34

Can anyone tell me if there is a size or personality difference between a sailfin and a red sea sailfin? Could either one of them live in a 125 gallon tank along with a powder brown and several smaller fish?

eyebedam

IMO the Red Sea Sailfins look a little better as far as coloration there a little tougher/more bully like & yes they would go fine with a powder brown.

stdreb27

I'd think that 125 is about the lower limit on the sailfin, they do get huge, Especially if you have other big fish in there. If that is the big fish in there you should be more than ok.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Kevin34
Can anyone tell me if there is a size or personality difference between a sailfin and a red sea sailfin? Could either one of them live in a 125 gallon tank along with a powder brown and several smaller fish?
The reason I didn't get a Red sea is they are more aggressive (from the sources I have read). I am just trying to keep things peaceful. Of course tell that to my two females anthias.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by azfishgal
The reason I didn't get a Red sea is they are more aggressive (from the sources I have read). I am just trying to keep things peaceful. Of course tell that to my two females anthias.

I didn't want to spend the extra 40 bucks, 80 dollar fish vs 40 dollar fish, with simular markings, I chose 40 dollar fish.

psusocr1

eyebedam Will not outgrow a 125. You got plenty of tank for a sailfin
VERY DEBATABLE... there is no way my sailfin would have fit in a 125.. he made my 300 gallon look small for him.. they get VERY large
did you ever see a 8-9 inch sailfin?

kevin34

I was worried about a sailfin getting too big in my tank. I have no clue what to add to my fishlist for a second tang. I really want two and have made up my mind on a powder brown. I have no idea for a second one because I want somthing peaceful, easy to care for, small enough so it wont outgrow the tank, colorful, and something different from the very common blue hippo and yellow tang.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by stdreb27
I didn't want to spend the extra 40 bucks, 80 dollar fish vs 40 dollar fish, with simular markings, I chose 40 dollar fish.
This is also a very good point!

azfishgal

I was worried about a sailfin getting too big in my tank. I have no clue what to add to my fishlist for a second tang. I really want two and have made up my mind on a powder brown. I have no idea for a second one because I want somthing peaceful, easy to care for, small enough so it wont outgrow the tank, colorful, and something different from the very common blue hippo and yellow tang.
What about an Achilles? They only get around 9.5 inches. I would like to get one myself, but I'm already maxed out with my current fish list.
Guess I'll have to wait for a larger tank.

mike22cha

My sailfin I think isn't a Red Sea one and it is tiny compared to the Red Sea. He grown a little, not a lot. Just make sure that it isn't from the red sea and he'll be fine. Also how about a lemon peel mimic tang if you want an unsual tang?

kevin34

Originally Posted by azfishgal
What about an Achilles? They only get around 9.5 inches. I would like to get one myself, but I'm already maxed out with my current fish list.
Guess I'll have to wait for a larger tank.
Achilles are supposed to be one of the hardest tangs to keep along with the powder blue and clown tang. I would also like to have one someday when I get my dream tank.
(5000 gallon cylinder tank
)

azfishgal

Achilles are supposed to be one of the hardest tangs to keep along with the powder blue and clown tang. I would also like to have one someday when I get my dream tank.
(5000 gallon cylinder tank
)
Well, sometimes I think you have to take what's known to be the "hardest" with a grain of salt. I know Powder Blues are also supposed to be hard, but I know several reefers who have both. If my daughter wasn't set on getting "bubbles" (Yellow Tang) then I would have gone for the Achilles. I think it all comes down to how well a person is going to take care of their tank. If someone is going to be bad about making the water changes then I'd say any "hard" fish would be out of the question. You sound like a person that will be on top of things so I for one think you can pull it off.