New saltwater aquarium

bang guy

Do you mean cycle?

In my opinion you should not cycle a new system with fish. Some live rock is really all you need.

geridoc

bang guy's method works fine, especially the "wait, wait" step. Don't rush things and you will greatly increase your chances of success.

Buzzard

Another question please, how many little water changes at the beginning of a cycle for a new tank do I do?

flower

Another question please, how many little water changes at the beginning of a cycle for a new tank do I do?
Hi,

None at all...let the tank cycle and run it course. Little water changes are only done if you are trying to keep a fish alive through the cycle (called a soft cycle). It actually slows things down to do that. By not using a fish to cycle, it isn't needed... just let it go through it's changes.

Buzzard

Hi,

None at all...let the tank cycle and run it course. Little water changes are only done if you are trying to keep a fish alive through the cycle (called a soft cycle). It actually slows things down to do that. By not using a fish to cycle, it isn't needed... just let it go through it's changes.
Thanks, Merry happy

snakeblitz33

I would monitor the ammonia level weekly and do a water change if it goes over 1ppm. Too high and it kills the critters you paid for on the live rock.

Once your test kits read that ammonia and nitrite are both zero, it should be safe to add a small fish.