New Scorpion Fish

hammerhed7

Just added 2 new scorpion fish to my DT, they are settling in. I will post some pics shortly. Stay Tuned

hammerhed7

I got these guys from a local place where I know the owner pretty well. I went in and saw these guys and wanted to buy the smaller on which is about 4" I was going to pass on the larger 7" one because he had an eye injury. The owner told me he could not sell the larger one due to the injury, so he offered it to me for free. So I got both of them for the price of the small one $40. After a couple of weeks his eye has cleared up, you can see the injury in one of the pics. His eye is now clear, and you can see there is a small hole in the eye, and the eye has what looks to be water bubbles in it, I am hoping he will make a full recovery. Both are otherwise healthy and eating very well.

hammerhed7

From what I have been able to find on them in terms of aquarium keeping these fish, I believe they are similar to lions in that they are not highly territorial. They were in a 30 gal at the lfs, and sat right next to each other, since I have put them in my 220 DT they are never more than a foot apart from each other. Besides if I have any issues I don't think I would have a hard time finding a new home for one of them, They are pretty rare in the hobby.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
http:///forum/post/2685399
From what I have been able to find on them in terms of aquarium keeping these fish, I believe they are similar to lions in that they are not highly territorial. They were in a 30 gal at the lfs, and sat right next to each other, since I have put them in my 220 DT they are never more than a foot apart from each other. Besides if I have any issues I don't think I would have a hard time finding a new home for one of them, They are pretty rare in the hobby.
I know theyll eat whatever they can fit in their mouths, and a little bit more. Keep it with larger tank mates and you shouldnt have too much of a problem. Best of luck with them too.

aw2x3

http:///forum/post/2685399
Not really rare...it's just that they're not collected much, because there's not a big demand for them. I've kept maybe 10, over the years...I'd buy them every chance I got. Old Town Aquarium, downtown, usually has a few...although, they're the most expensive store in the city.
A friend of mine, in Chicago, has 7 tanks and they're filled with nothing but different species of Scorpionfish...everything from a few inches long, to one that's over 14" long.
Depending on tank mates, you may have a hard time feeding these guys, in a 220DT.
Good luck to ya...they are really freakin' cool fish. It should've be too hard to get them weened to krill and pieces of silverside.

hammerhed7

Originally Posted by AW2x3
http:///forum/post/2685623
Not really rare...it's just that they're not collected much, because there's not a big demand for them. I've kept maybe 10, over the years...I'd buy them every chance I got. Old Town Aquarium, downtown, usually has a few...although, they're the most expensive store in the city.
A friend of mine, in Chicago, has 7 tanks and they're filled with nothing but different species of Scorpionfish...everything from a few inches long, to one that's over 14" long.
Depending on tank mates, you may have a hard time feeding these guys, in a 220DT.
Good luck to ya...they are really freakin' cool fish. It should've be too hard to get them weened to krill and pieces of silverside.
Thanks for busting my bubble AW
, I had assumed they are rare because I have never seen one in an lfs, and when I asked about them all I got were dumb looks. Being a former Chicago area guy you know what I mean, seems we get the short end on some of the more obscure fish.
However for 2 for $40 I couldn't pass it up. They are both eating frozen squid, silversides, scallops shrimp etc. They accepted it immediately. In QT they would eat whatever was tossed in, in my DT I am using a feeding stick for now, but they are starting to swim to the top of the tank to eat with the lions.
They are really cool fish, they watch you wherever you go.

hammerhed7

Guess I should post my stock list as well. Right now in addition to the scorpions I have
Volitan Lions X2
Tusk
Yellow Tang
paddlefin wrasse
Huge Tomato Clown
To get an idea of the clown's size look at the pic, the scorpion to the left on the rock is about 4.5", The clown is the size of my fist

Also have a chocolate chip and red general starfish.

aw2x3

http:///forum/post/2686836
Thanks for busting my bubble AW
, I had assumed they are rare because I have never seen one in an lfs, and when I asked about them all I got were dumb looks. Being a former Chicago area guy you know what I mean, seems we get the short end on some of the more obscure fish.
However for 2 for $40 I couldn't pass it up. They are both eating frozen squid, silversides, scallops shrimp etc. They accepted it immediately. In QT they would eat whatever was tossed in, in my DT I am using a feeding stick for now, but they are starting to swim to the top of the tank to eat with the lions.
They are really cool fish, they watch you wherever you go.
Two, for $40 is a steal...not bad at all! I wish there was a reliable store, around here, cause they're almost impossible to find at online retailers. You've got me thinking and I may go on the hunt for some more, now.
Didn't mean to burst your bubble...I guess I could've worded it differently. And yeah, I know what you mean by all you got were dumb looks. I picked up a pair of unknown from Old Town one time. Saw them in the tank and inquired about them, only to hear "there are no fish in that tank, dude". After I finally insisted the guy come back and look, his reply was something along the lines of "what the hell is that?".
I talked him down to $60, for the pair, if I remember correctly. One turned out to be an unidentified species.

hammerhed7

Are you still in illinois AW? The guy I got them from from claims he can now get them now because his distributor has about 30 of them as of last week. The colors are amazing, subtle but perfect camoflage. If your in the market I can see if he can hook you up. The store is called reef plus, it's in North Aurora.

aw2x3

Yeah...I'm still in Illinois...down in the Carbondale area. I'm having to deal with a store in Fairview Heights (1.5 hours away, by St. Louis) because it's the closest store, that actually knows what they're talking about.

hammerhed7

There are only a couple of good stores in my area, I live west of the city near Elgin. I don't get the chance often to hit the stores in the city like Old Town.

aw2x3

Yeah...I know where Elgin is...you're wayyyyyy out there. lol
I haven't lived in Chicago in at least two years and still have my fav fish stores numbers in my cell. And, I still get weekly email newsletters from most of them. lol

hefner413

That's cool that you've got 2 in the same tank. I've only seen them singly. Nice fish. Got any pics of them hanging out together?

aw2x3

Originally Posted by Hefner413
http:///forum/post/2688944
That's cool that you've got 2 in the same tank. I've only seen them singly. Nice fish. Got any pics of them hanging out together?
You know...believe it or not, they're quite the community fish. You put two (or more) together and they'll hang out together more than you think.
I've dived all over the world (Persian Gulf, Red Sea, Med Sea, Hawaii, Great Barrier Reef and a few more) and alot of times, you'll see 5 to 10, all hanging out in the same general area. They're hard as hell to find, but you'll see them hanging together alot.

hammerhed7

I will try to get some pics of them together the larger ones eye has become more swollen, but the small hole in it appears to be healed, the eye is still clear with no signs of infection. I am hoping the worst is over and it will begin to heal. Both are still eating great. If the eye doesnt start to show improvement soon I will have to remove him for treatment.

aw2x3

Hopefully, it doesn't come to that. I'd hate for you to lose such a cool, under-appreciated fish.
You said they're both eating frozen...I might have missed it, but I don't remember you saying exactly what kind of frozen foods they're eating.
If, by luck, they're taking silversides, I'd start by unthawing and cutting them in half. Then, soak them in either Garlic Guard (I've had great success with the product made by Kent Marine) or in Selcon and vitamins.
You could do the same with frozen or freeze dried krill, but I just don't think you'd get as much nutritional value as you would with the silversides.
My girlfriend told me to relay a message, by the way. She said she's never met you and hates you already because she's been hearing me, for the past 3 days, talk non stop about "Hey, I want a Scorpion tank..."..."hey, check this Scorpionfish out..."..."what would you think about setting up the 90gal as such...". lol I think you've given me the bug and I'm brain storming.