New sebae Anemone

stapler

My LFS has white sebae anemones all the time....I am sure its just a white one.
I heard that if its doesnt have any color on its tips...then its dead or dying. That one looks fine IMO....based on that pic.

bang guy

I'm an Anemone novice pretty much (admittedly) but I've never heard of a White Anemone that wasn't bleached. Anyone have documentation for this?
I have always assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the White Sebae that stores get just sell better so they purposely have them expell their Zooxanthellae.

attml

No documentation but I agree with Guy. I spend a lot of time in the anemone forum and have read quite about them and to the best of my knowledge and experience there are no true white anemones (as soon as I say that ten people will correct me) in the wild. Sebaes are usually yellow, tan or brown in the wild and I think yours is definitely bleached. Any meaty food will do well (mysis, raw shimp pieces, flake, brine). I have used silversides soaked in zoe to revive a couple of bleached sick anemones with great success! Good luck!

S

spsaddict

sabaes are brown in the wild, NOT white, that one expelled all its zoanthelle, almost all sabaes are sold either bleached or dyed. feed it, and give it lots of tlc and great water conditions, and it just might make it, mine didnt though

broomer5

I'm no anemone expert either - but from what I've read - I agree with others here.
A healthy sebae anemone will have color - normally tannish brown from what I've seen.
I keep one - and have for almost 2-1/2 years.
Here's how it looked when I bought it - bleached white, retracted tentacles, very little coloration ( expelled Zooxanthellae ) and very tight looking.
Under 260 watts PC lighting - 75 gallon tank.
EDIT: pic reposted by Thomas712

broomer5

Same specimen - 7 months later under same 260 watts PC.
Fed often - but still not much coloration.

broomer5

Same specimen - now under 500 watts 10K MH with 440 watts of VHO for 3 months - color is returning and anemone shows growth.

broomer5

5 months later - under the intense lighting and regular feedings - the Sebae shows significant coloration and growth relative to when it was purchased.
Feedings are important - sufficient lighting is critical in my limited experience.
By the way .... I do not recommend people buying these anemones. I will not buy another one.
EDIT: picture reposted by Thomas712

broomer5

Fishman830
What lighting do you have ?
I feed mine a variety of meaty foods, chopped up raw shrimp, chopped silversides and chopped squid. Chopped into small pieces ( smaller than an eraser head on a pencil ) so it can fit it in it's mouth.

T

thomas712

Broomer5 -
You've been holding out on me. Thanks for showing me your anemone and those progressive shots. I've never tried a sebae, and from what I have read about them and there poor survival rate I never would.
Gets me that sellers will even advertize the sale of white anemonies, get-em while there hot. :mad: 99% of the time if the anemone is white then steer clear.
Bang Guy - your question about white anemone has come up before. I just know that I have read about white ones before in divers logs from the ocean but I have never been able to find the same link or information before. I seem to remember a giant or large white anemone that was talked about, but perhaps it just didn't get enough food or light, ...who knows.
Thomas

doxboi

I had two sebaes both died. I would not recommend them either. I have had a bublble and long tentacle for about a year now. I haver fed the raw shrimp from the food store tjough. Is that good for them. I will admit that I have fed the long tentacle dead fish before. He has grown huge and is pretty purple. Not as purple from when I bought him. I do agree that very white is weird. I had a nice white anemone once that turned brownish, i thought that was a good sign. lived for awhile, got stuck in powerhead intake, turned off powerhead, wife turned powerhead back on without me knowing, anemone is all gone now.

sailfin

Originally posted by spsaddict
sabaes are brown in the wild, NOT white, that one expelled all its zoanthelle, almost all sabaes are sold either bleached or dyed. feed it, and give it lots of tlc and great water conditions, and it just might make it, mine didnt though

Just a thought, but this site sells white sabae anemones. Are you saying they don't know what they are doing????
:notsure:

T

thomas712

Originally posted by sailfin
Just a thought, but this site sells white sabae anemones. Are you saying they don't know what they are doing????
:notsure:

And did you compare the pics of the white sabae sold on this site and the original that Broomer5 had? Look again at his beginning shot, and what happens after feeding and intense lighting.
Thomas