NEW Shark pond in proces of construction

:blacktip:

Well krj-1168: In the past I have a cali ray for something like 5 month then i sell it for reasons of espace, then I have a little bamboo shark and I stay good iqual for something like 4 months, and now I want to do something big, expectacular and beautiful.
Do you think that my shark (melanopterus) is going to eat adult tangs? because I was thinking in something like vlamiingi may be 3 or 4 and brevirostris, may be 2 or 3, naso 4 - 5, unicorn 2 - 3 and some angels like emperator, queen, some beautiful and interesting and put there some liverock or maybe false rock something like livingcolor company use to built there tanks, for the filtration I was thinking in nice skimmer, ozonisador like ozotech, and a sump (240lts).
Also I was thinking to built for concrete and paint with the pool painting, some people tallme that the concrete sometimes is cold what do you think?
sharkdealr: Ok thanks im just need to thinking because now I dont have a lot of money
but maybe later.
att:fER

krj-1168

Is this tank - outdoors or indoors?
I ask - because since your in Mexico City - the climate should be warm enough year round for outside(provided that you have a cover to keep the rain out), at least -that's my general thought.
The Filtration - A good Skimmer, A LR sump, and a sand filter or Bio-tower should be fine. Also Live rock would be fine in the tank. Blacktip reefs are reef sharks - there fore they fair much better with decor than most other requiems.
As for the pool - you could get by with concrete - provided that you have a couple of layers of pond liners on top of it. Concrete is very rough on the skin of sharks & rays. So - even though the blacktip reef will constantly swim - it will drag it's pectoral fins along the sides of the tank. Actually marine quality fiberglass is better to build the pond out of. No - to the paint.
The angels should fine - but I would seriously worry about the tangs - ending up as shark food.

Well I was thinking that if I feed good to my shark he doesn't needs to eat my tangs or what do you think? because with that size of the tank it going to be a waste of espace if I cant keep tangs and large fish.....

For filtration I have a 240liters for the sump it's little? and what skimmer do you recomend me?, also what its a sand filter do you have pics or a link ? :thinking: , maybe I can put in the aquarium some rocks maybe 300kg its good?
haaa I forgot the tank is going to be indoors
krj-1168 wrote:
As for the pool - you could get by with concrete - provided that you have a couple of layers of pond liners on top of it. Concrete is very rough on the skin of sharks & rays. So - even though the blacktip reef will constantly swim - it will drag it's pectoral fins along the sides of the tank. Actually marine quality fiberglass is better to build the pond out of. No - to the paint.
I really don't understood that but you tallme that the concrete is good but can hurth the skin of shark and rays so what can I do? You say something like fiberglass how can I install it? its not good with the paint?

Thanks for the attention and the answers
:joy:

krj-1168

Since you've said the tank will be indoors. Then the question becomes just how much area do you have to put the tank in.
The 5 ft depth is really not needed - if the blacktip reef doesn't have swimming room to reach at least 4-5 ft. And a pond that's just a 10 ft x 5 ft foot print will only be able to keep a blacktip for maybe a year. To reach 4' in length you will need a pool that about either 12' diameter(if round), or a footprint of about 16' (4.86 m) long x 8' (2.43 m).
What's more important than the size of the sump is the capability of your water pumps. But a larger sump would be more helpful.
The filtration system you will need will completely depend on the size of your final tank. Usually the flow rate of the filtration system is 5-10x the tanks volume for smaller home aquariums under 1,000 gallons. Once you get above 1,000 gallons you into the pond territory - you can lower the filtration rates.
So about 3-6x tank volume is a good guideline - depending on your pond's bio-load.
I know here- in the U.S. you and easily find how-to manuals for laying fiberglass - at most large hardware stores.
The easiest ponds are either preformed poly ponds or above ground swimming pools converted to shark pools.
Concrete ponds are good because they increase the stability of the walls & floor - so much less chance of water linking than with pond liners alone. But the concrete can also damage the fins & stomach areas of sharks & rays. To prevent this cover the pond with a 45 mil pond liner.
While - it's possible that your shark may leave the tangs alone - if his well-feeded. Still I'm very Very cautious about recommending keeping them with a blacktip reef shark.
Large Angels, groupers, and some rays(depending on the species) should be fine for a blacktip reef.
Also - here's the link for sand filters -
Links to competitor sites and other BB are against board rules

Well krj-1168 the final measures are the next 10'(long)*5.6'(high)*5(deep) = 2021g, thats its gonig to be construct with concrete, it laminates going to be 8.6(long)*4.3(high) that is going to be acrylic (1" of thick), with fyberglass inside, with skimmer, sand filter and some LR and LS may be are going to be 400lb of sand and 600lb of LR, for lighting its going to be 5 mh of 400watts °14K, i'm forgetting something? :notsure:
Its right?

att:Fer :happyfish

psusocr1

:Blactip: Ok thanks im just need to thinking because now I dont have a lot of money but maybe later.
this setup with fish is going to cost you well over $10,000 u.s dollars and thats a very low estimate! and its going to cost a fortune to maintain, heat/cool , water changes , you will need HUGE holding containers(300-500 gallons) for top-offs, water changes, A skimmer on a tank this size is VERY expensive not to mention you will need an industrial size RODI unit( they must say dont drink the water in mexico for a reason right??) etc. etc. every month it will run you a thousand + dollars( low estimate)
BLACKTIP: Well krj-1168 the final measures are the next 10'(long)*5.6'(high)*5(deep) = 2021g, thats its gonig to be construct with concrete, it laminates going to be 8.6(long)*4.3(high) that is going to be acrylic (1" of thick), with fyberglass inside, with skimmer, sand filter and some LR and LS may be are going to be 400lb of sand and 600lb of LR, for lighting its going to be 5 mh of 400watts °14K, i'm forgetting something?

if your going ot build a pond of this size are you saying that your going to put the acrylic inside of the concrete somehow then put fiberglass on it?
OR
are you saying oyu will have a viewing window in the pond? if so 1" acrylic will shatter like nothing with this size pond, you will need much thicker than 1" and also for a sheet that big around 2" or so your lookign at $5-8,000 dollars just for a sheet that size.
400 lbs of sand will only give you a little tiny bit over an inch of sand bed.. if your thinking about keeping stingrays you will need at least 3-4 inches of sand in there which means you need 900-1200 pounds of sand for the desired 3-4 inch sandbed
I would also skip the MH lighting since it will be very expensive and wont be needed if your not going to keep corals. If your not keeping corals i would just get some strong flouro lighting . Evan if you were to keep corals in a tank that high i dont think a couple 400 watter's would evan reach the bottom with light adequite enough anyway..
im not saying your pond cant become a reality im just trying to help out a bit so you know what your getting into

krj-1168

Well - then I hate to tell you - but your shark will be out growing your system - in about 12-18 months(if it's about 12-14" at the time you get it), or possibly less. And that's your absolute best case situation.
I also don't understand why your using Concrete, Fiberglass & Acrylic. It just seems like a complete waste of money - especially on such a small tank.
And chopping a 1-1.5' off your tanks dimension - only makes it smaller. which doesn't help in planning to keep an active swimming shark, like a blacktip reef - it only hurts.
For a tank the size your thinking of - your best to stick with sharks - like bamboos, horns, or small wobbies(japanese or wards), or maybe a few smaller rays.

Well ok now I'm see that my english is bad.
1-. The acrylic is only like a window to see the shark
2-. psusocr1:
this setup with fish is going to cost you well over $10,000 u.s dollars and thats a very low estimate! and its going to cost a fortune to maintain, heat/cool , water changes , you will need HUGE holding containers(300-500 gallons) for top-offs, water changes, A skimmer on a tank this size is VERY expensive not to mention you will need an industrial size RODI unit( they must say dont drink the water in mexico for a reason right??) etc. etc. every month it will run you a thousand + dollars( low estimate)
Thats right in mexico we cant drink the water in some zones, but i was thinking to put that water and leave ciclying, for something like 1 or 2 months, and the water changes i'm goning to do it every 2weeks of the 10%, I saw here inthis forum or other sites that the people construct their shark ponds for something like 4,000dls -for example Requiem- he construct for something like 3700dls with all and fish, the tank is going to be of concrete, with a second wall of fiberglass, that is just for the safety of the shark.
For filtration I now is needed the sandfilter, skimmer and the sump -this is going to be for 1000lts- the lighting is abaout 5mh of 400 you say that this is a lot ok so how much mh do you put? I really want to see the fish like if the sun is overthere.
3.- krj-1168:
Well - then I hate to tell you - but your shark will be out growing your system - in about 12-18 months(if it's about 12-14" at the time you get it), or possibly less. And that's your absolute best case situation.
I tall you that I can leave with my neighboring aquarium
krj-1168:
I also don't understand why your using Concrete, Fiberglass & Acrylic. It just seems like a complete waste of money - especially on such a small tank.
the tank is going to be of concrete, with a second wall of fiberglass, that is just for the safety of the shark, the acrylic is just to see the fish.
krj-1168:
And chopping a 1-1.5' off your tanks dimension - only makes it smaller. which doesn't help in planning to keep an active swimming shark, like a blacktip reef - it only hurts.
I dont understand that...

krj-1168:
For a tank the size your thinking of - your best to stick with sharks - like bamboos, horns, or small wobbies(japanese or wards), or maybe a few smaller rays.
Maybe in the soon I can keep 1 or 2 rays -bluespotstingray-

krj-1168

I said cutting the tank size hurts your plans to keep a requiem shark - for a reason.
All requiem sharks -including blacktips, BT reefs, & sharpies are what's know as "Obligated Ram Ventilators" - this simply means in order to keep breathing the have to swim or be in constant motion 100% of the time. The lone exceptions in the requiems is the lemon & whitetip reef - which are both capable of resting the bottom of brief periods, and are far too dangerous to be kept by private individuals.
Cutting the length & width of your tank - automatically reduced the time you will be able to keep a requiem shark.
The bare minimum dimensions for tank that is used keeping a requiem is the tank's length us equal to 4x the sharks' length, and tank's width is equal to 1.5-2x the shark's length. Even then this dimensions are in the small size, IMO.
Which means when your blacktip reef reachs just over 2' long - start planning to ship it to the aquarium.
As for Concrete & Fiberglass together - it's just simple as waste of your money.
If you want a viewing window built into the tank - then build the tank with a wooden frame, fiberglass the ******** and place to slide in the glass/acrylic viewing window.
This will allow you to have a well built tank that can last for over a decade.

sebae09

you should just go with the smaller sharks. bamboo's eppulettes and horns. they will give you valuable experence for later on when you have the space or funds to keep requiem sharks.

krj-1168

If you must have a swimming shark - then go with a smooth hound. They tend to be much more forgiving of tight spaces, than any requiem sharks.
Smooth hounds generally don't have to swim in order to breath. Although they are general active sharks - and swim about 80% time.
Smooth hounds and Horns could make good tank mates, since they live in the same enviroment, and perfer the same water conditions.

sebae09

colder water right?
and if you had a bigger tank i would suggest a leopord shark considering their not illegal in mexico.
Description: * Size: adults are 116 cm - 161 cm * Color: brown to dark gray above, white below Habitat: Gray smoothhound sharks can be found down to 25 fathoms, but usually in three fathoms or less. Range: Gray smoothhound sharks are rare in northern California, more common from Cape Mendocine to Mazatlan, Mexico. Diet: Gray smoothhound shark eats primarily crabs. They feed inshore, in shallow bays, sounds, and rocky shores. Notes: Gray smoothhound sharks are in the same family as Leopard sharks. Females give live birth to two - five young--this means that they are viviparous.

krj-1168

While-gray & brown Smooth hounds are often thought of a cool or cold water sharks.
But like the Horn shark - they can tolerate water temps well in to the upper 70's.

taznut

you guys are insane... i love it... i want a shark pond... probably wont work in an apartment though huh??? one of these days... good luck...

krj-1168

Generally aquariums - work better in apartments. But a small poly pond - say 350 gallons, may also work - if you have the room.
So long as you put a some small sharks in it like - bamboos, eppies, horns, coral cats.

sebae09

if it was me i would go with the smoothounds and some horns. even tho your crazy about blacktips, you just cant keep them for long with that size system. i personally would rather keep something for the rest of its life than a few months/year. and what are you going to do after you give it to the aquarium? get another and have to do the same thing? aquariums will only want so many before they tell you to go somewhere else.

krj-1168

Too True.
Public Aquariums may be willing to accept a shark or two from a single private individual - once and awhile. But don't expect an Public Aquarium to to continue to accept them.
Remember if Public Aquariums continued to accept every shark that people were willing to give them, due to the sharks out growing home aquaria. Then their shark tanks would be overflowing with sharks. Even smaller public aquariums would have dozens of nurse sharks, & Blacktip reefs.
Generally -I feel that, if you don't have the room or finances to keep a shark for it's entire life span - then don't get it. Pick a smaller more managable species, that you can keep.
I don't see any thing wrong with starting the shark off in a smaller "pupping" tank. so long as realize that you will eventually need to upgrade to a larger shark tank/pond.

krj-1168

Here's some instructions for building a shark tank.
It's about 1700 gallons.
But it should give you a clue - as to how it can be done.
Links to competitor sites, BB or sites with links to competitors is against the rules of the board