new skimmer

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2862580
joncat- that doesn't bother you that these pumps do this? since you and MS are in ohio, and only 45 minutes apart, i can't help but wonder if your posts are one of a concerned, informative reefkeeper, or a store employee/owner, trying to make sales.

sounded like constructive advice to me, an attempt to help solve the dillema. seems to me your reaction was a bit unwarranted. I can understand your frustration, malfunctioning brand new equipment ticks me off too, but its not joncats fault.

mr_x

at 11:17am (29 minutes after my post) i received a call back from the vendor, with some instructions on troubleshooting the pumps, and assurance that he will send me new ones.
reefkprz, i purchased this skimmer after reviewing alot of the posts that joncat24 made about it. if i knew ahead of time the coincidence, that he lived so close to the store, i probably wouldn't have purchased it.
you are entitled to your opinion. as am i.

joncat24

http:///forum/post/2863089
at 11:17am (29 minutes after my post) i received a call back from the vendor, with some instructions on troubleshooting the pumps, and assurance that he will send me new ones.
reefkprz, i purchased this skimmer after reviewing alot of the posts that joncat24 made about it. if i knew ahead of time the coincidence, that he lived so close to the store, i probably wouldn't have purchased it.
you are entitled to your opinion. as am i.
What in the name of Obama's butthole, does anything have to do with me living close to Marine Solutions?
I simply think they are the best bang for the buck on skimmers....period.
If I lived close to a Toyota plant and liked their cars, does that mean I own that company too??

hammerhed7

Something tells me I won't be getting a screaming deal on your 4x now
My hang up on buying one of these skimmers, actually beginning with the octo nw200 was the pumps they started out using knockoff pumps, and then went to the sicce pumps, i remember when they released these skimmers, and the threads started as people took delivery, and people were having problems with the pumps off the bat, but were still raving about the skimmer. I will be interested to hear your experience after everything has settled in.

reefforbrains

Shoot, I was already sniffing along at the ASM too.
I have begun kicking tires on some of the new skimmers and I value this thread for ALL the reasons mentioned in it.
Sorry to hijack but the air line really shocks me. That along with the slap mesh/pumps makes the whole impression of the unit seem cheap.

reefkprz

you know whats funny out of all the skimmers I have used, the coralife super skimmer skimms the best out of any of them, even out pulling the aqua c remora, despite the obvious draw backs of being ill tempered to tune and the bubble diffuser totally useless. its the best functioning skimmer I have ever had.
but all that aside I have no clue about the newer stuff out there, though i have been considering an octopus for my frag systems If I can ever afford it.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2864153
you know whats funny out of all the skimmers I have used, the coralife super skimmer skimms the best out of any of them, even out pulling the aqua c remora, despite the obvious draw backs of being ill tempered to tune and the bubble diffuser totally useless. its the best functioning skimmer I have ever had.
but all that aside I have no clue about the newer stuff out there, though i have been considering an octopus for my frag systems If I can ever afford it.
Thank you.

coralife super skimmers was i was using till acrylic showed me the mrc-2r skimmer, Now thats all i run on my tanks. But would have no doubt using a coralife skimmer again. They are a over rated for tank size if your like most reefers and have a lot of stuff going on in your tank.

stanlalee

you didn't really buy it on one persons oppinion? the start up issues are pretty well documented with not that much digging. thats just isn't a make it or break it with many people considering the price of the skimmers and the frequency of turning it on and off. if you wanted a modern design with Sedra pumps Warner Marine was the skimmer for you. you really think joncat is an employee based on location and recommendation of a skimmer? I just assumed he's supportive of a local business with a product he believes in. I recommend octopus skimmers (extreme or otherwise based on value), you recommend ASM skimmers, a million people here swear by that joke of a skimmer known as the AquaC Remora, its just human nature like we do with ford/chevy or cowboys/steelers (might I add we are going to put a beat down on those pretty...I mean cow boys....mainly because its a home game but enough about that).
speaking of coralife I had the 125 on my 100g with two tangs and 4 anthias fed twice a day and I had no trouble with SPS or water quality with 15g water changes every 2 weeks and cheato. that skimmer skims "okay" as in it was always productive but required WAY too much fine adjusting and was WAY too sensitive. that was much more annoying than any pump restart problems lol

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2864565
you didn't really buy it on one persons oppinion? the start up issues are pretty well documented with not that much digging. thats just isn't a make it or break it with many people considering the price of the skimmers and the frequency of turning it on and off. if you wanted a modern design with Sedra pumps Warner Marine was the skimmer for you. you really think joncat is an employee based on location and recommendation of a skimmer? I just assumed he's supportive of a local business with a product he believes in. I recommend octopus skimmers (extreme or otherwise based on value), you recommend ASM skimmers, a million people here swear by that joke of a skimmer known as the AquaC Remora, its just human nature like we do with ford/chevy or cowboys/steelers (might I add we are going to put a beat down on those pretty...I mean cow boys....mainly because its a home game but enough about that).
speaking of coralife I had the 125 on my 100g with two tangs and 4 anthias fed twice a day and I had no trouble with SPS or water quality with 15g water changes every 2 weeks and cheato. that skimmer skims "okay" as in it was always productive but required WAY too much fine adjusting and was WAY too sensitive. that was much more annoying than any pump restart problems lol

Amen, X was IMO out of line here. The skimmer's issues are well documented. I have mentioned them myself, as well as help to resolve them. If you didn't do the research and bought a 400.00 skimmer your not happy with, you're the one at fault.

I've bumped into Joncat elsewhere and there is no doubt in my mind, he's not affiliated with them.
I agree, there are many that still say that the seaclones a dandy skimmer,
BUT IMO the octopuss extremes/msx line skims like a high end skimmer, for a mid range skimmers price tag. Not bad to deal with a few issues.

mr_x

well, i read those threads too. it was he who claimed they were corrected. i just assumed they were. shame on me i guess, for trusting a fellow reefer. no better than a used care dealer you say?

joncat24

My msx 250 works just fine. One pump pulls 42scfh and the other gets 40. Both pumps start with no issues at all. And I will say it again, dollar for dollar they are the best on the market.

bioneck47

http:///forum/post/2865073
well, i read those threads too. it was he who claimed they were corrected. i just assumed they were. shame on me i guess, for trusting a fellow reefer. no better than a used care dealer you say?
Man X, that's a little harsh isn't it?

mr_x

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2864780
Amen, X was IMO out of line here. The skimmer's issues are well documented. I have mentioned them myself, as well as help to resolve them. If you didn't do the research and bought a 400.00 skimmer your not happy with, you're the one at fault.

i'm not blaming anyone but myself for my purchase. i'm not saying this skimmer is no good either. i haven't had it long enough to judge.
i'm stating my experience with it. i'm stating that i don't like the fact that it doesn't work perfectly right out of the box.
i come to these forums for information, and i expect people to be sincere. opinion is one thing. but when someone says they work on tanks for a living and have had experience with many skimmers, and this one is night and day compared to those, it interests me.
i know that alot of people read the threads associated with these skimmers and went out and bought them because of what they read.
joncat mentioned many good things about these skimmers, but i failed to read where he stated that he had to mess with the skimmer in order to get it to work correctly.
as a matter of fact, i think i read that all the bugs have been ironed out. even in the quote by wattsupdoc above, he states he helped resolve
the issues. why then am i having issues?
i'm here telling you all that this information is incorrect. if this information is incorrect, what other information is incorrect? everything i have said is fact. i never commented on how great or bad the skimmers were in the other threads. i only told my experience with ASM and sedra pumps, and that they never
failed me, and that i didn't know much of sicce pumps, and i wouldn't trust them until i heard of experience with them.
you agree with me bioneck. you have/had the same issues. you stated you probably wouldn't recommend this to a friend. i'm suprised that you don't feel the same way.
meanwhile, i'll continue logging my experience.
yesterday, all day, the skimmer was quiet. it was the first time since i got it. maybe the noise has worked itself out.

wattsupdoc

Evidently you misinterpret what is being said. I NEVER said I help resolve the issues with the manufacturer or seller. I stated that I have helped resolve issues, meaning with the owner. Just like I was trying to do with you, but you chose to ignore and just keep you drawers wadded up. You should clarify what you are reading is what you believe it is. In fact, I don't like MSX, not that that it's their products, just their customer service is lacking. I have not had a great experience with them. So I don't do business with them. Let alone resolve their products issues.

Just started reading this thread. I have a question. When X called customer service and they didn't answer he posted on here. Then in less than a half hour someone calls him. I find that funny, IMO someone on here is either the owner or works for this company. Just my two pennies.
RR

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by privatejoker
http:///forum/post/2865953
Just started reading this thread. I have a question. When X called customer service and they didn't answer he posted on here. Then in less than a half hour someone calls him. I find that funny, IMO someone on here is either the owner or works for this company. Just my two pennies.
RR
Could it be that it just happened to take them that long to get back to him...For whatever reason...This is just stupid. If you would get out of this forum and look around the web in the other places where reefers hang out, you would see there is only the connection of shop and customer there. GEEEEZ people, your beating a dead dog.

mr_x

or horse even....
i haven't shut down the skimmer since my last post, and have emptied it twice by adjusting the bubbles down for a bit, and then cleaning the cup. it's not the ideal scenario, but it's working.