New Swa Hobbyist

faraday

Hi. So this is my first time ever having a fish tank, fresh or salt. I wanted to know if I should start with a fresh tank first, (much as I despise them)? A friend said I should start with one of those.
I have been researching SWA, mostly on the internet for now, my next stop is a book store to get a few books, or the library. I pretty much now the style and gallons of the tank I want, and I already have my live list. The other thing that I was noticing is that quiet a few people do DIY's on their SWA's. I am some what good at DIY's, all depending on what it is. But my roommate is an Electronics Technician, can plumb real good. He works for a laser entertainment company, fixing and troubleshooting their laser systems, including the chiller. He offered to help me. I need to know if there were any good sites and books on DIY projects, and what things I shouldn't do DIY and break down and just buy it.
After I've read and researched some more, here was my game plan.
1. make sure I know what my fish and live guys are going to be and if they are compatiable.
2. Purchase my tank, a 75 or 100 G bow tank, acrylic.
3. Do all my DIY projects.
4. Have emergency plans and extra equipment in place. I was planning on using a heater/cooler combo, and at the most 2 pumps.
5. Fill it up with the sand and water, and let it sit for at least 5 or 6 weeks, so it cycles through, and that it all works properly And that the water properties are just right.
6. Purchase my fish and live guys, and was unsure, but add them all in, AFTER THEY'VE BEEN ACLIMATED PROPERLY, OF COURSE. Don't know if it should be a few at a time, or everything.
Here is the list for my fish and live dudes.
Red Finger Gorgonia - 1 each
Fire Coral - 1 each
Blue Ridge Coral - 1 each
Red Florida Ricordia Mushroom - 1 each
Flower/Ricordia Mushroom - 1 each
Finger Leather, Sinularia - 1 each
Yellow Angel - 1 each
2 Sailfin Algae Blennies - 2 each
Blue Reef Chromis - Chromis cyaneus - 5 each
3-Spot Domino Damsel - 1 each
Black & White Percula (Tank Raised) - 1 each
Purple Tang - 1 each
Australian Linneatus Wrasse - 1 each (probably only 1 wrasse right????????)
5 Bar Mystery Wrasse - 1 each
Australian Linneatus Wrasse - 1 each
Buld Anemone - 2 each
Ultra Crocea Clam - 1 each
Captive Bred Fighting Conch - 1 each
4 Emerald Mythrax Crabs - 4 each
Marshall Island Electric Blue Hermit - Calcinus - 2 each
Scarlet Hermit Crabs - 10 each
Blue-Leg Hermits - 10 each
Cucumber, Red & Black - 1 each
Coco Worm, Pink - 1 each
Red Lobster - 1 each
Maiden's Hair Plant - 3 each
Halimeda Plant - 2 each
Fire Shrimp - 2 each
Red Foot Snails - 6 each
Nassarius Snails - 10 each
Clump Red Ball Sponge - 1 each
Orange Linkia Starfish - 1 each
Blue Starfish - Linckia laevigata -2 each
Show Size Fiji Premium Live Rock, 85 lbs
Nambu Live Rock, 45 lbs - 2 each
Lalo Live Rock, 45 lbs or 70 lbs, 1 each
Pearl Coral, Green - 1 each
Red Florida Ricordia Mushroom - 1 each
Plate Coral, Short Tentacle / Fungia - 1 each
Carpet Anemone, Blue - 1 each
Shaving Brush - Group of 5
Purple Bullseye Mushroom - 1 each
Tonga Branch Live Rock - 1 each
Arag Alive Aragonite Indo-Pacicif Black Reef Sand - don't know how much I need of the sand though. Thought it would look cool to mix the black and beige.
So if anyone knows if this is a good mixture or bad mixture, it would be cool to know. Something tells me that, a few things can't coincide with one another. And there's the lighting issue. If these are a good match, what type of lighting am I going to need. And should I also purchase a UPS. There have been a few times the power flickered off here for a few hours, and we had freezing rain last year that cause a 2 day power outage.
Well any feedback would be appreciated. And am looking so forward to starting this and having new friends in the house.

faraday

What if I have to move from the place I am at? What is the best way to move my tank and my buddies?

bang guy

Good research so far :)
Buy the books first... before ANY equipment. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist is a good start.
Buy a reef ready tank, you'll be glad you did. This means that it has holes for built-in overflows to your sump and/or refugium. Do some research on refugiums & sumps. Very very worthwhile IMO.
Go slow!!!
first steps - leak test your tank overnight with fresh water. You'll be tempted to just add salt. bad idea IMO. Discard the fresh water you used for the leak test. I don't see a water purifier on your list. I recently started using a Hi-S RO and I'm happy with the performance. RO/DI is better.
Always mix your water in batches. I use a 32 gallon roughneck but it's probably better to mix 4 or 5 gallons at a time to add to your tank. Once it's 1/4 full add your dry sand if that's your path. Once the tank is 3/4 full add your live rock. This is when you need all the circulation going in your system. If you want the maximum number of animals on your live rock to survive you will need to do water changes frequently to keep the ammonia level below 0.5ppm.
Wait until after your cycle to add the live sand and wait some more to add ANY fish. There's no firm timeline for the tank cycle. Could be 2 weeks, could be 8 weeks. be patient.

chinawoods

Originally posted by Bang Guy
I see no reason at all to start with fresh water. Not very much experience transfers to Saltwater.

:yes:
Totally agree with Bang Guy, also, I don't see a protein skimmer in your list.. very important to have one if your are setting up a reef tank. Be patience. Good luck.:happyfish

latino277

You seem to have done some good research. I would follow what bang said and loss the lobster (I heard they just eat every thing)and domino Damsels (they will fight with everything and are a pain to get out once you put them in).
I would also get 2 clowns.
since you have a clam in the list I would go with a MH VHO/pc combo for lighting.
Definitely get some type of ro/di filter for top offs and water changes.
just my .02:thinking:

jdogg2432

I second what has been said. Just my opinion on a couple of things. You may want to hold off on the Sailfin Algea Blennies until your tank has been set up for a while, as they like to do alot of grazing. And for that matter, I would probably only go with one. The starfish are another that I would hold off on for a while. In my experience, they do better in a well established aquarium. Go with one to start off with, and see how it does. At that point you could make the decision if you would like to add more or not.
Take it slow. Patience is the key to a successful aquarium! Good luck!

faraday

Wow, extremely fast replies. So far I have really liked this site, and all the Q & A's in the boards are cool. They have been extremely useful. believe me, I am going to do this very, very slow. Last thing I want is to get a few of my guys, and have them dying on me. I want it to go smooth and slow, and have happy fish. Thanks for all the input. Only question that no one seemed to answer was the moving one. Any one ever have to deal with that. Moving within your city or another state? Do you sell or give away the fish, or start over? It's that attachment thing. I think I could become very attached to my buddies, and if something ever happened and had to move, it would be a blow to me to have to sell them. Not that I am moving. But the possibility is there.
Thanks everyone.

faraday

Thanks dude. I am still in the research phase, internet, message boards, books, bought my first one "The Concientious Marine Aquarist", awesome book. getting a few more in a few days. and I keep looking at what I am going to need, what it does, how to maintain the tank itself, and the equipment. So far my fish list has drastically changed, and my equipment list is getting bigger, and VERY EXPENSIVE.
THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP AND INPUT.
And to ease everyone some pain, instead of asking the same tired old questions, I search the boards for those who have come before me and asked the questions I am asking.

nudibranch

Originally posted by Bang Guy
I see no reason at all to start with fresh water. Not very much experience transfers to Saltwater.

I spent 11 years doing FW tanks to "build up experiance for saltwater". When I finally got to SW I was just as confused as any beginner except that I had some of the BASICS down (ie the importance of water changes, testing your water, and some other fundamental processes/habits). In other words I was still a newbe when it came to salt. Conscientious Marine Aquarist is probably one of the best investments you can make along with Natural Reef Aquariums and this board (obviously).
Looking forward to seeing you around.

faraday

Damn, I just moved from Phoenix to Seattle 6 months ago. I haven't yet to meet anyone in Seattle who is an SWAist.
Now I can tell all those people to go frag themselves, who have told me it's stupid to start a SWA, and I should do a FWA. I HATE FWA. They just look so fake, especially the crap people put in them.

nudibranch

Well, in the defense of FW tanks not everyone puts "unsightly" moving boats. Many people actually try to replicatea natural environment with live plants etc. But yeah I like SW more.

faraday

Very rarely do I see a FWA that I like and is done decent. One reason I am doing this is because I have always wanted an aquarium. Regardless of which one. But now as I am over my 30's, SWA's just look so much better. And well the work required, can be very rewarding too.

nudibranch

A SWA shouldn't be anymore difficult for a person who is will to spend the $$, do the research and do it right the first time. There are a few more things to pay attn. to but for a well informed hobbyist this shouldn't make it any more difficult than a FWA. One more thing in your favor is the size tank you are doing. The bigger the tank the larger the margine of error. The more forgiving it will be. I think you are going about setting it up properly and because of that you will more than likely have a very enjoyable experiance with SWAs. Just remember to do lots of research in books or reputable magazines and definitely come here with questions this is one of my best sources of ideas and information. Good luck!

zap800

i have to agree with everyone. i have been doing to fwa thing since my childhood and now i want to do swa's. i know most of the basics with testing and water changes but now this is a whole different ball game with swa's. also i have one of those fake looking tanks. lol. i have a treasure chest and a scuba diver and all. lol. but you know i like it. oh yeah i forgot i even has bright pink rocks and marbles for the base. with all that tackey stuff in my fish dont mind it and i think they like going in and out of the fake mt wannahackalugie. im just playing you know i hope you dont take me to serious. but i do have a tnk that looks like that lol

faraday

I should kind of take it back, so not offend people who probably have really decent FWA's. Just have probably only seen one or two in my time. who knows, i might find a few things in the FWA that I like and start one of those too.
Believe me, I am doing lot's of research. Tons of research, internet, books, message boards, the LFS, and try and meet some people here in Seattle, who have SWA's. Who knows, maybe a few who have FWA's as well. I won't start a SWA until I am good and ready, and feel like I am capable of doing one.
One of the things I said in another post. I already have a dog, cocker spaniel. He's not a pet to me, he's family, and gets treated as such. The SWA I get will be the same thing, they'll be family to me.