New Tank. Few Questions?

speedzonwheels

Alright, well im not new to the saltwater world, but im definently not the expert on it eiether. I owned a 40gallon before. Well i started up a 20 Gallon Octagon tank as I have an appartment and will probably move in a year, so I didn't want to have to move too much and I had this tank. So a few questions.
1. First, I started this tank about almost a week ago. I always begin my tanks with 2LBs of Live coral from store and the rest of my coral i let become live. Also always usually put in a clown fish as there extremly hardy and I love them. Also with my first tank before, clowns were the first in and the last to go, so my expierence that way as been great!
So I have a pair of True Pecular Clowns that are considered large size. Ones a smudge smaller than other, smaller one has been dominating it seems. Got them for an amazing price of 24 a piece and they were the only ones in the tank. There very healthy and seem to love the tank.
2. Questions, I have some whisper filters. I did have a 20 Whisper in the tank first, but i bumped up to my 40 whisper i had as my local store told me it would work better. I also have a Rio 180 (120GPH) power head with it. Is this enough filtration? Also I took the extension off the Whisper 40's tube as it almost touched the rock, should i put it back on? Also where is the best place for the powerhead? Should I have two? ( Look at the pics please)
3. I want to add invert's to the tank. Im thinking a Peppermint Shrimp? Any ideas? How many cleaners and what kind do you think? Also are they hardy enough that I could put them in now, or shall I wait till tanks fully cycled?
4. Also I want to make it more of a reef tank in the long run here. Any suggestions on lights?
5. Also Im pretty much done adding fish correct? or Is safe to add one more once fully cycled? I don't want to over due it by any means and I know the clowns probably are all it can handle, but Im fine with that if thats how it is.
Thanks, and hope you can help!
Conrad

The clowns will live through it.. its just like cycling with damsels... Just clowns have a better chance to survive and can handle a lot of parameters.. Adding them will jolt the cycle.. he will just have to do a lot of WC

meowzer

Originally Posted by Marchingbandjs
http:///forum/post/3122616
The clowns will live through it.. its just like cycling with damsels... Just clowns have a better chance to survive and can handle a lot of parameters.. Adding them will jolt the cycle.. he will just have to do a lot of WC
It's not a matter of whether or not they will live through it...it's what they will go though during the cycle....kinda torture
Speedz...welcome to swf, but if I may make a suggestion...SLOW DOWN

king_neptune

Im not some liberal hippy tree hugging panzy.
nor am I a peta activist who thinks animals are to be elevated above humans.
But these fish are your pets, and you want them to be happy. It pays off big time. Cycling with damsels is un-ethicle, doing it with any fish is. Dont get me wrong, if it was a better way to cycle, I would do it myself. But its not a better way to cycle. And in the long run, starting out hurting your fish isnt a cool way to get into this hobby.
Dont think Im flaming you, its not your fault, your new to this hobby and didnt know any better.
Were hear to help you, and are glad to do so.

king_neptune

To answer your lighting. a single 150W MH will give you plenty for that tank. that will let you grow any and all corals. Used on Craigs list anywhere from $75-150
for filtration. im not familiar with the whisper so I cant comment. Are you going to have a sump/fuge underneath? 10 gal would be enough for a nice little fuge with some macro algae.
A hob skimmer is another option, but I dont know much about those. A GFO/carbon reactor is a cheap method of filtration and works really well. Especially at algae control. google bulk reef supply. 80 bucks will get you the reactor and the maxijet to power it. media will run you another $60 bucks for about 1 year supply(roughly....you can get the good stuff for a little more. And buying in bulk also saves yo money)
with a MH you can get a nice photosynthesizing clam. a maxima or crocea. VERY pretty clams.
some sand sifting fish would also be worth a look. something that eats algae at the bottom and works the substrate is always a good fish to add. and wouldn't even come close to taxing a 40gal with descent filtration.
if you are interested my build has all of the above and more:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/349033/neptunes-125-reef-diary

speedzonwheels

Neptune. The tank is a 20 Gallon, not the 40 gallon. I stated above that my first salt water tank I had was a 40. Im currently using the 20 Gallon Octagon Fish tank that is in the pictures. So anyone have info? Any would be much appreciated, thanks! The tank is not fully cycled yet. Its only a few weeks into it.
Thanks
Conrad

jar_lou

the filter should be fine, rated for 40 gallons, you should be ok with it on your 20. I would say you are done with the fish, but you could probably get an anemone in there after everything is cycled. At least 6 months before adding an anemone is what i have read though! A tank like that would be great for a clown/anem combo! The whisper is rated for 170 GPH, and the powerhead is 120. I would say one more power head on the opposite side from your current powerhead. Wait on the shrimp, they can be picky on water params *and in your case not really needed* I would probably skip them, that is just my opinion. You could probably do the shrimp instead of an Anem if you wanted. I agree with 150 on the light, buy may wanna watch how long you have it on. It could really heat up a tank that size quickly, not sure if you want to invest in a chiller or not. If not you should probably stick to T5 lighting on a tank that size again my opinion. Good luck!!

speedzonwheels

k. So your saying I don't need anything for bottom feaders? Also do you think the amount of rock / live rock I have in the tank seems to be right. I had more in it, but took some out as it appeared to be too much. Also I think a anemone might be neat in the long run here, Am I able to add in things like mushroom live coral or anything of that nature? Im just curious what I am limited too with a smaller tank like this, Just curious, that would all be later on and once I have a better light on it.
Thanks
Conrad

speedzonwheels

also I want more stuff in it, but If i can only add an anemone and not other live coral, im not sure its worth it to get a nice light and a chiller as I want more than just an anemone and two fish. So Im curious and don't know my perimeters for other live coral like mushrooms or anything of that nature
Thanks
Conrad

jar_lou

if your going to run Metal Halides you will need a chiller regardless and most SPS corals will need the Metal Halide I think, though with a 20g you may be able to get away with a T5. For Mushrooms, ricordia, stuff like that a T5 will be fine. As far as bottom feeders always a good idea, get about 5 -10 crabs, 15-20 snails and you should be ok. The protein skimmer does not replace the filter. And wouldn't do an anemone and coral in a tank that size, anemone can sting coral and if that is what your really wanting prob not a good idea, but not saying it can't be done. Another fish you could probably put in there is a scooter blenny they are small, and stay on the bottom pretty cool little fish. Could also put a cleaner goby in there, clown goby, something that stays REALLY small. Of course your LFS guy may have a different opinion. After your tank has been up a going for a while, and all the water params stay good, you could maybe do something a tad bigger like a small wrasse. One fish that would be REAL cool in there is a pearly jawfish (yellow head jawfish). They dont need a big tank, and would do well with only clowns. I dont think you could have "too much" live rock, at least 1 pound per gallon is what they say, so if you have 20 pounds that would be enough, but more will just help filter the water and look cool. Sand the same way, I would say 3 inch sandbed not sure how much is there now.

speedzonwheels

Well i know i have 3 inches of crushed coral on the bottom. I will have to double check how much live rock/rock is in there and check that out. I did add a 90GPH powerhead that has a sponge/carbon filter deal on it. So Im sure I have enough filtration. But is have the sponge filter/carbon too much filtration or is that alright? LFS said it would be good

jar_lou

if the fish store said it woudl be ok then I am sure it would be. I dont think you could really have "too much" but I dont know, i have never came across anything that talks about too much filtration. will be curious what you decide to add! Good luck!

speedzonwheels

lol why not have a octagon tank? I bought it a few years ago for 20 bucks with whisper filter, top, light and stand. So it was a great deal at the time. Now im using it

mkroher

Originally Posted by speedzonwheels
http:///forum/post/3123341
lol why not have a octagon tank? I bought it a few years ago for 20 bucks with whisper filter, top, light and stand. So it was a great deal at the time. Now im using it

Hey, 1970's just called, they want their fish tank back!