New Tank fish died

coco62

OK I know that I am going to sound very stupid but I could use some real life advice. I just started a new saltwater aquarium. It is 22 gallons (I know it is small) I started with 20 lbs of live sand, 7 pounds of live rock. Water purchased from an aquarium store. I have the temp at 76 degrees. Filter is an Aquaclear with 200gph. And a small stream pump.
Anyway, I started the tank on September 15th. Got the temp correct let everything settle and went to the fish store the next day to buy two small damsels because the person told me I needed to get fish in the tank to keep the rock and sand alive.
My water levels were as follows.
.25 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
8.2 PH
1.024 Salinity
0 Chlorine
Got the fish home acclimated them to the tank as follows. Put them in a small pail and added about a half cup tank water to them and waited about 15 minutes. added another half cup water to the pail and waited another 15 minutes. After that I put the fish in the tank. Within 45 minutes they were dead.
So what did I do wrong. The sea urchin also died. Help. I get conflicting results on what I should and shouldn't do and I am now more confused than ever. Help

flower

Welcome to the site.
First mistake. You didn't let the tank cycle. You should have 0 ammonia, which most likely killed the fish. O nitrites because you were only at stage 1 with ammonia...once ammonia goes to 0, the nitrites climb, then they go to 0, and nitrates climb, then certain bacteria turn the nitrates to harmeless gas...Cycle complete. Fish can stand nitrates but not ammonia or nitrites.
Second mistake...do not get damsels, they are evil mean little fish and they will kill any other fish you try and add later.
Get yourself a master test kit (I like Seachem) ...first test for ammonia, and nitrite..both are deadly to marine animals, do not add anything to the tank until both tests say 0.
To speed up the cycle...add a raw frozen shrimp....leave it in there...I put it in a mesh bag and just let it hang out in the tank, being already dead it won't die as the tank cycles. The live rock and sand are good choices and will help the tank to cycle faster, but no matter what you do, you can't skip that stage. Patients is needed if you are going to keep anything alive in the tank..

coco62

THANK YOU. I was going to wait and test but the salesperson told me to add fish right away. I thought that was too soon. So I can't kill the rock and sand?. I can just add a shrimp. that would be great. I have a good test kit so I will use that and keep up. I love this site. I have been reading all morning and have already learned a lot. Thanks.

bang guy

In addition to Flower's excellent advice I also recommend getting something to test your salinity. Refractometers cost more than hydrometers but they pay off in the long run.
I'm not a fan of the shrimp method but it will definately work. I prefer to simply ghost feed (pretend you're feeding a small fish) and try to maintain a low ammonia level for an extended period of time. As the food decomposes it releases a more easily controlled amount of ammonia. Plenty to keep the sand and rock alive.
Flower - as of yet I have not ever seen convincing information that Nitrite is harmful to saltwater animals at any level reasonably expected in a cycling aquarium. Just my opinion though.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/387936/new-tank-fish-died#post_3417497
In addition to Flower's excellent advice I also recommend getting something to test your salinity. Refractometers cost more than hydrometers but they pay off in the long run.
I'm not a fan of the shrimp method but it will definately work. I prefer to simply ghost feed (pretend you're feeding a small fish) and try to maintain a low ammonia level for an extended period of time. As the food decomposes it releases a more easily controlled amount of ammonia. Plenty to keep the sand and rock alive.
Flower - as of yet I have not ever seen convincing information that Nitrite is harmful to saltwater animals at any level reasonably expected in a cycling aquarium. Just my opinion though.
...LOL...all these years I have lived in mortal fear of nitrites....I learn something new everyday.

bang guy

Yeah, it's been assumed that Nitrites are deadly for all of the 30+ years I've been in the hobby and the rumor is alive and well. I believe it's a residual from freshwater aquarium keeping. Interestingly, one of the quick cures for Nitrite in a freshwater tank is, well, add a little salt...

deejeff442

and yet another lfs that dont know a thing.the loan officers should have a written test on marine life for people who want to open a store and pass it by 90% correct answers before they give a loan.

cubnb79

just a thought on the acclimation since the other areas are very well covered...this is how i do it and havent had a issue as far as acclimating goes...float bag in tank for total of one hour at least...first 30 min. just let it sit on 30 min. open up bad add 1/2 cup of tank water and repeat every ten min. till hour is up (or longer) then add fish to tank...but as stated above tank must be cycled...

coco62

Thanks do you then just put all the water in the tank? I thought you weren't supposed to add the water to the tank.

flower

You will get a different answer for everyone you talk to on how they do it.
The whole point is to get the critter used to your water, the temp and SG. You do not want the bag water in your tank...it is concentrated with the poo (ammonia) from the critter in tight quarters. You do not want the critter in the bag too long because the ammonia will kill it. You want air to get to the critter ASAP. Any method you choose should keep these requirements in mind.
I use a turkey baster and a cup. I open the bag the moment I get it in the tank and attach it to the rim of the tank so it won't sink, and allow it to float there the entire time, after 10 minutes..... I remove a little water from the bag and replace that amount with my tank water. I wait 15 minutes and do it again...repeat for about 1 hour, 2 hours for a starfish or a shrimp. I have never lost a critter during acclimation.

cubnb79

oh yea forgot to mention to not put bag water into tank glad someone caught that for me....most the time since i dont have a cover on my tank ill open the bag roll the open end of the bag out word several times and that acts like floats...this is just what works for me and after time you'll figure out what works for you...turkey baster is a good cheap tool and has lots of uses i use it mainly to clean off the rocks...

deejeff442

this is what i do.i get the fish home .i get a bucket put the fish and all the water he came with in it.then add a couple cupps of water from the tank he will go in.go buy a 1/8 inch tube (home depot) and a spring clamp to crimp the tube .suck on the tube till it gets flowing the put the clamp on the tank and adjust it till it drips.let it go for 2 hours .

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/387936/new-tank-fish-died#post_3417604
this is what i do.i get the fish home .i get a bucket put the fish and all the water he came with in it.then add a couple cupps of water from the tank he will go in.go buy a 1/8 inch tube (home depot) and a spring clamp to crimp the tube .suck on the tube till it gets flowing the put the clamp on the tank and adjust it till it drips.let it go for 2 hours .
I've never used a clamp, maybe a gang valve for precision control... Most of the time I just tie a knot in the airline tube until it drips at the rate I want it to. I guess I'm just cheap. lol!

coco62

Thanks for all the great advice. I added the shrimp to my tank yesterday and will test soon. Will this cycling hurt the live rock I have. It has some live coral, sponge and macroalgae on it?

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco62 http:///t/387936/new-tank-fish-died#post_3417793
Thanks for all the great advice. I added the shrimp to my tank yesterday and will test soon. Will this cycling hurt the live rock I have. It has some live coral, sponge and macroalgae on it?
If you don't let the ammonia climb too high then it will not harm the organisms living in the rock. Some say 1.0ppm ammonia is fine, I have always tried to keep it below 0.5ppm. Most agree that the more delicate organisms in the live rock begin to die off when ammonia exceeds 1.0ppm.

coco62

So here is a pic of the new aquarium. I tested the water and ammonia was .75, nitrites.25 and nitrates around .25 Should I take the shrimp out now so I don't build it up too much or what. I really don't want to kill anymore of what I have. Here are a few more pics. I'd love any input on what ya all think. Coco
Can anyone tell me what all I have on these rocks. I am totally clueless.

bang guy

At the top looks like some type of Dendrophyllia but could also be Astrangia.
The brown coral is probably some type of Porites.
I see various sponges, a Halimeda stem, and the byssal gland of a large Turkey Wing Clam.