New tank. Need help.

katsafados

I was thinking of setting up an old 3g (Not sure if thats its acctual size) tank.
I was going to fill it with LR and use LS and water from my already established tank.
I was thinking of stocking it with a shrimp, Preferably a Randalls pistol shrimp since the max size they get is .5 inch. Would this be enough room for this guy?
For corals I was thinking of a sun coral and different kinds of zoas around it.
Lighting I was going to make an led fixture. Would this be enough light for the zoas? Also Would regular leds be okay?
For filtration I was going to mod my old HOB filter and put cheato and LR rubble in it. I was mainly going to rely on natural filtration from the LR and LS.
What do you guys think? Can someone give me suggestions or comments?
Thanks!

spanko

Great idea.
Add a Stonogobiops yasha goby to pair with the shrimp.
Biggest problem you will probably see with a tank this size is evaporation, need to figure out a simple gravity fed top off system.

meowzer

SEE...The expert has arrived...YIPPEEE
I'll follow this Daniel....I thik it will be fun
Hey Henry.....have you seen the new pic of my mushrooms :)

katsafados

The top off isnt a big deal lol. I'll go in his room every morning and top the tank like I do to my 10g, and 20g fw tank lol.
Dont you think the goby and shrimp is to much for a 3g? How big is this goby?

katsafados

Yeah I know it stays pretty small, and doesnt swim around that much.
But some other care sheets I read up on them say it needs a min. tank size of 20g. The size of it seems like it would be fine in thje smaller tank, just wasnt sure.
I contacted my private reefer guy that live an hour away, he told me he could probably get both the shrimp and the goby, but some time in october. He also said he would hook me up with some bali LR hes getting in. Told me it would be 50% off Big Al's. He knows I do all my shopping there and is tryingto compete with them to get me to come back lol.
He a really nice guy, the only reason I dont grab all my things from him, is the fact hes an hour away and big als is down the street lol. His basement is set up like big als! Hes won awards for his clownfish and some corals in fish magazines.
Henry you think the LED for lighting would work out fine? Do I need special LED'S or can I just get regular ones?

spanko

There is a lot of work being done with the development of LED lighting. Unfortunately I do not know much about the how to of building one. I have some being built to supplement my 150 watt Sunpod HQI to add some actinic light right now. Most of what I see is do it yourself stuff. Especially on these small PICO tank setups. Electorincs = something Spanko knows little about.
Sorry but I cannot add more than that to the lighting discussion.

J

jetskiking

Do some research on the DIY LED fixtures. I havn't done much research on keeping softies under them but for LPS and SPS you will need special LED's such as the CREE LED's. I also agree with Spanko on the topoff. With a system that small, evaporation causes huge salinity swings.

katsafados

Its okay. My brother is an electrition haha, he was going to do all the wiring.
But from what I was looking ta the LED strips are pretty expensive still, so I found a pc light fixture thats $54. Its 9" across and my tank is 7inch, so Ill use adjustible legs.
Coralife Saltwater 9" Mini Aqualight-2 x 9W
The Saltwater Mini Aqualight is perfect for saltwater and mini reef aquariums. Includes a 9 watt 10,000K Daylight and a 9 watt True Actinic 03 Blue compact fluorescent lamps. Its compact and low profile design is ideal where space is limited. Features sleek aluminum housing, a highly polished reflector, a protective acrylic lens cover and a built in ballast. Dimensions are 9" x 5" x 2".
My g.f just gave me the measurements of the tank, and its only 1.1 US g
The length is - 7.87401575"
Width - 3.93700787 "
Height - 8.26771654"
Still think those little guys can be housed in the tank?

katsafados

Yeah seems to be, going by the dimentions that my g.f gave me lol.
It looks bigger then 1g to me, who knows lol?
She housed a goldfish in there for 2 years untill it died.