new to salt (starting a 10g)

nvsbandit

i usually do rock placement in my tanks by random
when i put all the sand in i knew i wanted the big peice on the left side then the others i kinda just tossed em whereever then repositioned to face the nice sides of the rocks
i got an emerald crab and a scarlet today. hopefully they make it through the cycle.

condyman

Good job man! you are making the right moves. that look like a kool setup. don't worry about the hermits or the emerald. I started my tank with both and they lived. *** you might loose a couple of hermits along the way but 90% survive. they are pretty tough

kholla12

Originally Posted by nvsbandit
http:///forum/post/2518693
dang it i really like the dominos...are the chromis any different as far as temperment
i just found out my one buddy has a nano 12g and he never told me he was into fish so now i have in person help lol
will hermit crabs make it through the cycle process?
I think you should stay with 2 fish.A pair of clowns would be great.I think you will be overstocking with much more then that.

nvsbandit

2 clowns and one shrimpgoby (with pistol shrimp)
i do want alot of inverts tho and corals.
with my 28w PC light could i throw a T-5 40w next to it for a total of 68 watts?

kholla12

http:///forum/post/2519534
2 clowns and one shrimpgoby (with pistol shrimp)
i do want alot of inverts tho and corals.
with my 28w PC light could i throw a T-5 40w next to it for a total of 68 watts?
That sounds fine.Just make sure you do weekly water changes.I also have a 10g.You will need to do alot of water changes with just the clowns.

nvsbandit

with the lighting and flow i have would rics do fine? cus i think im gonna do all rics...cus theyre sweet looking./

condyman

http:///forum/post/2522313
with the lighting and flow i have would rics do fine? cus i think im gonna do all rics...cus theyre sweet looking./
Yes you can. just wait until the tank is established to add the corals. you need to find the perfect balance with livestock. if you are looking to load it with coral then you should not get more than 2 small fish such as firefish.
with corals you need to have weekly water changes!

nvsbandit

and now ive got a brown algea problem...ive probably had my light on way to much.
any suggestions?
its on the glass its in my sand...

rebelprettyboy

Just clean the glass. And wait til cycle is done to get your clean up crew and theyll take care of the diatoms for you. Until then just cycle with your lights off

snakeblitz33

you really need to check to see if the tank is level. By the water line and the top of the rim, it looks like your tank was leaning forward. (just something to look into)

condyman

http:///forum/post/2526532
and now ive got a brown algea problem...ive probably had my light on way to much.
any suggestions?
its on the glass its in my sand...

That's why it's important to wait. As your tank cycles and it stabilizes, it will go through peaks, algae blooms and all kinds of problems. keep scrubbing the algae off and add your clean up crew to help you, try to keep the lights on for less than 6 hours per day.
have you been testing the parameters? you should be going through your nitrite phase now.

nvsbandit

and now ive got little white things on the glass that look like baby stars or baby crabs.....theres like a zillion of them....i cant get a picture cus they are way to small.

howardj

Hydroid Jellyfish
If you have a magnet scraper, scrape them off and let the filter get them..
I have the same problem in my 10
EDIT::// I like the aquascape!

nvsbandit

little bit of an update

i now have 2 clowns 2 turbo snails 1 emerald crab 2 scarlet hermits and 3...forget what kind of sand sifting snails.
my clown fish are Nemo and Omen omen is the black and white (kinda like nemos evil brother even tho shes bigger)
let me know what you think?